Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cordia basketball players upset after being questioned by social services
This is wrong the way the state did these kids......Jmo....Go Cordia :Cheerlead
64SUR Wrote:This is wrong the way the state did these kids......Jmo....Go Cordia :Cheerlead

Why? If there are allegations social workers HAVE to investigate!
Do all of the players questioned live in the same house? If not, something really doesn't pass the smell test
It's my understanding they all live in dorms on campus.
People can make allegations against anyone...doesn't mean they're true. Let the proper channels do their jobs and we shall see. However, Cordia doesn't have the best track record right now.
It should have been done more privately. It didn't need to be plastered all over WYMT unless it was proven they had done something.
BlueBat Wrote:People can make allegations against anyone...doesn't mean they're true. Let the proper channels do their jobs and we shall see. However, Cordia doesn't have the best track record right now.

Please elaborate on this "track record"?
The Salty Dog Wrote:Please elaborate on this "track record"?
Is Rhodes coaching?
ekywildcat Wrote:It should have been done more privately. It didn't need to be plastered all over WYMT unless it was proven they had done something.

Cordia is the ones who called WYMT
BlueBat Wrote:Is Rhodes coaching?

I think he's "helping"
I think after WYMT smeared Kaylan Rankins name in the mud and the PCC program, guess they figured they'd get on Cordia now.
News should be reported....PERIOD. With no slants, no judgement and no sway from the news source. IMO WYMT does just that. I have in the past disagreed with them on some issues; however, for the most part they are overwhelmingly fair.

They reported on HCHS girls' coach, Anthony Nolan, when he was accused of inappropriate conduct in the girls' locker room. He was fired, but allowed to continue to teach during the investigation. Several on this board as well as Harlan County eviscerated him during that time. He also endured physical threats against himself and his family.

It took two years, but the indictment issued by the Grand Jury was struck down by Honorable Kent Hendrickson. Undisputable proof that our sheriff at the time, Marvin Liford, had manufactured evidence and lied to the Grand Jury. Mr. Nolan was fully exhonerated.

WYMT also reported that story in full detail; however, there wasn't nearly as much hoop and holler as there was when the story of the indictment broke.

In other words....don't kill the messenger!!!
BlueBat Wrote:Is Rhodes coaching?

Blaming it all on Rhodes as usual. He isn't the coach there anymore, so that should be a non issue.
How is the Lotts Creek Community School doing with Cordia this year? I remember there was a GoFundMe page last year. Did they ever get their gym repaired?
OhHereWeGo Wrote:How is the Lotts Creek Community School doing with Cordia this year? I remember there was a GoFundMe page last year. Did they ever get their gym repaired?

[Image:

]

#shoutouttogofundme More mash taters please!!!
I don't understand why WYMT, would even run this story. Do they cover every case that Social Services investigates. I can see running the story if social services found evidence of neglect or abuse, and it turned out to be criminal, but to run a story based on allegations, is unprofessional in my opinion. Regardless of who contacted WYMT, they should have enough "decency" not to report on this subject and drag these young men's names through the mud.
From what I see, these guys feel like they were targeted and wanted some justice.
running_clock Wrote:From what I see, these guys feel like they were targeted and wanted some justice.

They can always go back home where they belong!
They were targeted. Pretty plain and simple. You got kids living around here that don't play basketball that don't get what they need, don't get fed, don't take baths, don't get clothed, don't have a roof over their heads at times, parents selling dope and I don't see SS running to their houses.
[Image: https://i.imgflip.com/1dcv5r.gif] :eyeroll::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: More mash taters please!!!
Hang around the court house a little while on trial day and you will see how little you know about social services.
If they were targeted I do not know why you said the TV station smeared their names Rock. They wanted to talk to the TV station unless someone twisted their arm to make them talk with a camera rolling. I think they were targeted too and evidently SS tried to drug test the wrong kids since they had two overdose during school the next day. That might sound harsh but I do not know how else to say it.
Smeared Kayla Rankins name. Not even sure if they used the Cordia kids names or not.
What did they do to her
Granny Bear Wrote:News should be reported....PERIOD. With no slants, no judgement and no sway from the news source. IMO WYMT does just that. I have in the past disagreed with them on some issues; however, for the most part they are overwhelmingly fair.

They reported on HCHS girls' coach, Anthony Nolan, when he was accused of inappropriate conduct in the girls' locker room. He was fired, but allowed to continue to teach during the investigation. Several on this board as well as Harlan County eviscerated him during that time. He also endured physical threats against himself and his family.

It took two years, but the indictment issued by the Grand Jury was struck down by Honorable Kent Hendrickson. Undisputable proof that our sheriff at the time, Marvin Liford, had manufactured evidence and lied to the Grand Jury. Mr. Nolan was fully exhonerated.

WYMT also reported that story in full detail; however, there wasn't nearly as much hoop and holler as there was when the story of the indictment broke.

In other words....don't kill the messenger!!!

Do you not take into account the hardship he and his family faced during those years?

He was exhonerated, but after due process, a tremendous amount of stress, and I'm sure he was relieved. But this don't shoot the messenger mentality is bull$hit in my opinion. It's obvious the media can sway public opinion dramatically and I'm of the opinion they shouldn't be allowed to "gossip" like they're in the women's restroom of the Harlan Co. Cafe.

But that's just me.