Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paintsville apple bowl updates!!
Paintsville vs Pike County Central kick off 27 mins and counting!!
Pike is up 42-0.....Turn out the lights and go to bed cause these Tiggers are overrated!!
TD Tigers. Phelps punching it in!
7-0 Paintsville. 2:18 left in 1st. Little rainy
TD KP. Extra point good. 14-0
End of first winding down. 47 second
Cant get my tadio to work guys. Keep me updated.

THANKS for comin to see me today Melon! Made my day!
TD KP. 21-0. 8:03 remaining in half.
Blue_Bird96 Wrote:TD KP. 21-0. 8:03 remaining in half.

Nice to see Kent phelps back and healthy. Already over 150 yards in the first half!!!!
One thing that I have always failed to wrap my head around is why would a coach line up his team in a shotgun formation on 1st and Goal from the 1. This gives the defensive line time to get pressure and cause disruption while closing down the running lanes. The game went all Paintsville's way when Pike Co Central failed to get it across the goal line. Good job by Paintsville and a horrible coaching job on Pike Co Central's part.
70 passing play to Allen for the TD! 28-0 Paintsville.
70 yd. my bad
Peaches Wrote:One thing that I have always failed to wrap my head around is why would a coach line up his team in a shotgun formation on 1st and Goal from the 1. This gives the defensive line time to get pressure and cause disruption while closing down the running lanes. The game went all Paintsville's way when Pike Co Central failed to get it across the goal line. Good job by Paintsville and a horrible coaching job on Pike Co Central's part.

I agree it's retarded...
3:24 remaining in the first Half.
This may end up being another running clock before the half
Time to head back to Rowan County but the trip wasn't wasted as I was able to catch up with some old friends. Disappointed by the night and day Pike Co Central effort from the first defensive and offensive drive of the game to how they have played the rest of the half. They seemed to just pack it in after they failed to score. Pike Co Central has a lot of work to do in the coming weeks.
36-0 at the half
Kent phelps 4 tds and 176 yards first half.
Wow!! :popcorn:
Peaches Wrote:One thing that I have always failed to wrap my head around is why would a coach line up his team in a shotgun formation on 1st and Goal from the 1. This gives the defensive line time to get pressure and cause disruption while closing down the running lanes. The game went all Paintsville's way when Pike Co Central failed to get it across the goal line. Good job by Paintsville and a horrible coaching job on Pike Co Central's part.
If a quarterback takes a shotgun snap and gives the ball off around 4 yards deep what's the difference in the qb being under center and having to take the time to turn and then hand it off at 3 and a half?
Also, if you are in the gun all the time why risk a bad snap under center at the most important part of the field?
TD Pike central
Paintsville 36-PCC 6
Mountian Man Wrote:36-0 at the half

Apple bowl running clock :1:
Kent phelps Apple bowl MVP :flame:
50-12 final
Another Apple bow win for the Tigers :1:
Tigers keep marching on
Brooks4Prez Wrote:If a quarterback takes a shotgun snap and gives the ball off around 4 yards deep what's the difference in the qb being under center and having to take the time to turn and then hand it off at 3 and a half?
Also, if you are in the gun all the time why risk a bad snap under center at the most important part of the field?

The most obvious reason is that you will automatically have an additional 4-5 yards to cross the goal line. In the shotgun the running back is also not moving towards the line of scrimmage when the ball is handed off. On the snap the defense is starting to clog things up and the more time you wait to get the ball moving in a forward direction the dirtier the path becomes. If you are under center you can either have the QB go up the middle immediately preventing things from dirtying up with a back pushing for help if needed. Another option is that the QB can hand it to a RB after he has gained more speed and power from sprinting towards the line to potentially break arm tackles. A QB is not going to take a 3 step drop to hand it off unless it is a draw play.
If a team goes in the shotgun formation all the time and does not have a standard goal line package that they have prepared specifically for these situations then shame on the Offensive Coordinator and Head Coach.
Peaches Wrote:The most obvious reason is that you will automatically have an additional 4-5 yards to cross the goal line. In the shotgun the running back is also not moving towards the line of scrimmage when the ball is handed off. On the snap the defense is starting to clog things up and the more time you wait to get the ball moving in a forward direction the dirtier the path becomes. If you are under center you can either have the QB go up the middle immediately preventing things from dirtying up with a back pushing for help if needed. Another option is that the QB can hand it to a RB after he has gained more speed and power from sprinting towards the line to potentially break arm tackles. A QB is not going to take a 3 step drop to hand it off unless it is a draw play.
If a team goes in the shotgun formation all the time and does not have a standard goal line package that they have prepared specifically for these situations then shame on the Offensive Coordinator and Head Coach.

Yes, turning point of the game :Shaking:
Brooks4Prez Wrote:If a quarterback takes a shotgun snap and gives the ball off around 4 yards deep what's the difference in the qb being under center and having to take the time to turn and then hand it off at 3 and a half?

If he's under center he's handing the ball off at the line of scrimmage instead of handing the ball off to a back standing flat footed 4 to 5 yards deep in the backfield.If Your under center and you back gets hit when the ball is handed off to him he might fall forward for a yard.But in the shotgun you just lose for Yard.