4 Lex Cath
5 Adair Co
6 Waggener
7 E-town
8 Central
9 Boyle Co
10 Caldwell

What's your thoughts?
Everything looks good for now but I think Lexington Cath. will be your number #2 before it's over they've got three losses but Saint X Johnson Central and Cov. Cath is tough and they held there own in all three games but that's just something for us to think about
Lex Cath has been given credit for there schedule as there losses are close ones... I like how things are shaping up but it will shake up more from now until playoffs...
Corbin's whipping of Danville shows they are clearly #2.
IMO, Corbin wouldn't have fared any better than Lex Cath did against those 3 teams, so, I wouldn't call Corbin a clear cut #2.. Now, if Corbin beats Southwestern this week and handles Mayfield the next, I would agree about them being the clear cut #2..
I agree Corbin is a clear number #2 right now I was just saying that I thought It would come down to this later bac2369 did a great job with the rankings
I think some of these rankings might be a bit generous.

1. Belfry
2. Corbin
3. Lex Cath
4. Everybody else in the top 10.
5. The rest of 3A

After the top 3, I really don't know how to go. Some times have good records, but against inferior teams, (Adair). Some teams have bad records, but against good teams, (Caldwell and Boyle). It's all a matter of how you view the teams.
1. Belfry
2. Corbin
3. Lex Cath

After that....I really don't think that it matters. 3A is very weak this year....with the exception of the teams mentioned. Honestly, no one else is in the conversation at this point. Now.....things change. Injuries, suspensions, .....all those things could come into play. But as of now.....this is it
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:1. Belfry
2. Corbin
3. Lex Cath

After that....I really don't think that it matters. 3A is very weak this year....with the exception of the teams mentioned. Honestly, no one else is in the conversation at this point. Now.....things change. Injuries, suspensions, .....all those things could come into play. But as of now.....this is it

I agree

On the whole I think this is the weakest I have seen 3A since the 6-Class System started.. 2009 may be the only year that comes close.

The good news is there are a lot of young teams so it should improve over the next few years.

Class 1A is also very down...
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I agree

On the whole I think this is the weakest I have seen 3A since the 6-Class System started.. 2009 may be the only year that comes close.

The good news is there are a lot of young teams so it should improve over the next few years.

Class 1A is also very down...

I really do wish we still had the 4 class system or no more than 5. Every district would have 5-6 teams. Top 4 going to the playoffs would like produce better 1st round match ups. It would just be better.
I still think boyle is a top 5 team.
The west is wide open. I agree with Corbin being next best but I think there are 7 or 8 different teams that could make the semis in the west.
Belfry maybe the best team in the state! All classes!
TheHotSnakes Wrote:I think some of these rankings might be a bit generous.

1. Belfry
2. Corbin
3. Lex Cath
4. Everybody else in the top 10.
5. The rest of 3A

After the top 3, I really don't know how to go. Some times have good records, but against inferior teams, (Adair). Some teams have bad records, but against good teams, (Caldwell and Boyle). It's all a matter of how you view the teams.
Adair needs alot of improvement we have some nice pieces but just are not playing like we can its going to be our 5th game and opposing teams know exactly whats coming our playbook is thin and not growing and our defense is suspect at best..we need to do something make changes or demand more.
Adair will have last year's leading receiver back this week hopefully he will make splash..Trust me i know we are 4-0 but if something dont change the 0 will go.
Bobcat4years Wrote:Belfry maybe the best team in the state! All classes!

I wouldn't go that far, but the game against knoxville Catholic should tell us a lot. They are really good I hear.
If Belfry beats Knoxville Catholic by the same score or more than they did last year I would say it's pretty safe to say they're on the same playing field as Trinity.
Moose Head Wrote:Adair needs alot of improvement we have some nice pieces but just are not playing like we can its going to be our 5th game and opposing teams know exactly whats coming our playbook is thin and not growing and our defense is suspect at best..we need to do something make changes or demand more.
Adair will have last year's leading receiver back this week hopefully he will make splash..Trust me i know we are 4-0 but if something dont change the 0 will go.

Isn't Adair the top scoring team in 3A? I know they haven't played the toughest schedule, but you can't snub your nose at points. A defense knowing what's coming doesn't always matter if you execute better. I'm pretty sure everybody knows what is coming when they play Belfry. Obviously they're 2 different teams, but that ideas are still the same.

Even if Adair goes 9-1, I don't think anyone is allowed to complain. If they go 10-2, again, no one is allowed to complain. Within the last decade, there's a winless season on the records for Adair. 5 years ago, Adair was still considered one of the bottom teams. Not in 3A, in the state. To go from that, to what they've had the last 2 years and this year, I don't know how any Adair fan is angry.

And make some changes? Seriously? It's going into game 5. You can't make any major changes at this point. You ride with what you've got now. You can make a few tweaks and such things, but wholesale changes aren't going to benefit anyone right now.

I still think Adair could win the district. If they do, no one gets to say anything.
TheHotSnakes Wrote:Isn't Adair the top scoring team in 3A? I know they haven't played the toughest schedule, but you can't snub your nose at points. A defense knowing what's coming doesn't always matter if you execute better. I'm pretty sure everybody knows what is coming when they play Belfry. Obviously they're 2 different teams, but that ideas are still the same.

Even if Adair goes 9-1, I don't think anyone is allowed to complain. If they go 10-2, again, no one is allowed to complain. Within the last decade, there's a winless season on the records for Adair. 5 years ago, Adair was still considered one of the bottom teams. Not in 3A, in the state. To go from that, to what they've had the last 2 years and this year, I don't know how any Adair fan is angry.

And make some changes? Seriously? It's going into game 5. You can't make any major changes at this point. You ride with what you've got now. You can make a few tweaks and such things, but wholesale changes aren't going to benefit anyone right now.

I still think Adair could win the district. If they do, no one gets to say anything.

Hard to argue with potential back to back 10 win seasons for Adair, a program not noted for even getting to .500 most years

With that said, I have to take whoever put their schedule together to task.

Adair knew this Seniors Class was going to be special and when they were Sophomore they went 9-3 against a pretty weak schedule.

When you consider Monroe County and South Warren came off the schedule (realignment) the Indians actually played a much weaker slate in 2015 and now 2016... with the experience Adair has they really needed to stretch their legs with some teams that would expose weaknesses so that when they play a Tilghman or Caldwell County in the playoffs the speed of the game doesn't overwhelm them
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Hard to argue with potential back to back 10 win seasons for Adair, a program not noted for even getting to .500 most years

With that said, I have to take whoever put their schedule together to task.

Adair knew this Seniors Class was going to be special and when they were Sophomore they went 9-3 against a pretty weak schedule.

When you consider Monroe County and South Warren came off the schedule (realignment) the Indians actually played a much weaker slate in 2015 and now 2016... with the experience Adair has they really needed to stretch their legs with some teams that would expose weaknesses so that when they play a Tilghman or Caldwell County in the playoffs the speed of the game doesn't overwhelm them

Wouldn't that schedule have been done when this years seniors were frosh? I mean, I know contracts aren't officially signed, but I'd assume that everything was planned out after they had just gone 4-7. I could be wrong, but, isn't that usually the time frame for those schedules? Like, between the 13 and 14 season?

And, PT and Caldwell are better teams. I'll always argue that a weaker or harder schedule doesn't really impact anything. Most teams are beaten because they're either too small or too slow. Those aren't exactly things that can be changed after a loss against a good team.
TheHotSnakes Wrote:Wouldn't that schedule have been done when this years seniors were frosh? I mean, I know contracts aren't officially signed, but I'd assume that everything was planned out after they had just gone 4-7. I could be wrong, but, isn't that usually the time frame for those schedules? Like, between the 13 and 14 season?

And, PT and Caldwell are better teams. I'll always argue that a weaker or harder schedule doesn't really impact anything. Most teams are beaten because they're either too small or too slow. Those aren't exactly things that can be changed after a loss against a good team.

The schedule would have been finalized their sophomore year when they went 9-3.

Competition is how you grow. You have to walk that fine line though between maximizing confidence and maximizing learning. Steel sharpens steel and it is no secret that your better programs typically schedule tougher games.

I respectfully disagree with your assessment on scheduling. I look at it like any endeavor in life, whether it is your career, relationships, education... if you never push your boundaries and never challenge yourself you never grow. You need challenges to expose weaknesses you you can correct them. You need challenges to find blind spots you didn't know you even had.

I am not saying Adair should have went out and mimicked Belfry or Lexington Catholic's schedule.. Adair would have gotten curb stomped and their confidence would have been broken, but I think that an upgrade would have done wonders starting with last season and building to this season.

4A Taylor County- This one doesnt bother me. Not an awful team, but not a good team. A winnable game to open your season and gain confidence. No issue.

1A Caverna- Horrible game. Caverna is historically one of the weakest 1A teams. Imagine simply replacing this with a Campbellsville or Russellville instead

3A Larue County- Not a fan. You know what your District is going to have so why play a lower tier 3A Larue County for more white noise? Imagine replacing this with a LCA, Somerset, or Glasgow

2A Metcalfe County- Not a great team but I will allow it. Regional rival, usually a middle of the pack 2A team..once again no issue with having winnable games.

4A Russell County- So here is my issue here. Russell County has had some good teams and most did not expect them to turn into one of 4A's weakest teams. My problem is why have Taylor and Russell County? One I am fine with..two not so much.. this would have been the prime spot to play someone who could expose your weaknesses. A Franklin-Simpson,, Knox Central, or a Southwestern for example.

vs. 1A KCD- Once again..not a massive issue with playing a middle of the road 1A team here but not when you have Metcalfe County already. Let's replace this with another 50/50 game. Give me Monroe County, Allen County- Scottsville, or a Somerset type of team

vs. 3A Casey County= Casey is not a bad team, but once again the Larue County game sticks out. I would be fine with keeping Casey if Larue went

vs. Edmonson, Etown, Hart= District games... no way around these

So let's look at this hypothetical schedule:
vs. Taylor County
vs. Russellville
vs. Glasgow
vs. Metcalfe County
vs. Franklin-Simpson
vs. Allen Co-Scottsville
vs. Casey Co
vs. Hart Co
vs. Edmonson Co
vs. Etown

Very doable schedule... not murderer's row...but guarantee they improve quicker
LaRue is a district game.

Russell County is a massive rivalry. It will never not be played.

Taylor is a another massive rivalry. There were a few years they didn't play in the regular season, but, they'll play as often as they can.

Metcalfe isn't quite the rivalry now, but, has been a pretty historical matchup for both schools.

Casey is a pretty traditional matchup.

I don't really know what brought on the KCD game for them. I'm not sure how often they've played before last season.

The Caverna game is what it is, and that's all that can be said of it.

I think the catch is, Adair has had minimal success in their history. And that's being generous. I know there was a lot of hope going into the 2014 season, but, I still remember plenty of people picking them to be somewhere in the 4-6 or 5-5 area. They went 8-2. But, this hope of an uptick and increase in talent, really shouldn't be this big reason to break off all of these traditional matchups. At least that's my philosophy.

And, while nothing is finalized, most schedules are generally lined out ahead of time. I'd say most schools have had their schedules completed since probably January or February. While nothing is official, I'd say a vast majority of the schools have their stuff pretty much done. Just waiting on contracts.

Again, we're just going to disagree on the importance of scheduling. We are at opposite ends of the spectrum with those ideas. And that's fine.

I'm a big defender not of Adair specifically, but of the small schools who get a big influx in talent. I remember when Adair was in 2014, and plenty of people were picking them to lose a lot of their games. When they won, everybody just said "Oh, well I guess the other team is just really down." That's how it goes for non-traditional teams. When you start beating teams you haven't, it doesn't raise you up as much as it just lowers them down. And I'm not a huge fan of that thinking.