Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why I feel so very lucky to be a Cardinal
I read something elsewhere about the MHS Cardinals in our current 7 year run. I thought it was a great article but, I think it leaves people thinking this success is a new thing. So, being the stat guy that I am, I decided to go further with it. I used stats from the KHSAA past football scoreboards and therefore, I could only go back to the 1998 season.

Starting with the 1998 season until the end of the 2015 season, this is how the stats look. Mayfield has accrued a record of 213-45, which is an average of 12-3 per year. The Cards have scored a total of 9,048 points, which is an avg of 35 points per game. They have allowed a total of 3,440 points, which is an avg of 13 points per game.

During this time the Cards have won 6 state titles. They have been state runners up another 4 times. They have made it to the semis another 5 times. They have had to settle for a regional championship game another 3 times. They have never been ousted prior to the regionals during this 18 year time span.

The Cards worst season record during this 18 year stretch was 7-6. In fact, I as a lifelong Mayfield resident can't remember the last losing season. I just don't know what would happen around here if the Cards ever have one.

This is a breakdown:
1998 14-1 State Runner Up
1999 9-4 State Semis
2000 13-1 State Semis
2001 8-6 State Semis
2002 15-0 State Champs
2003 10-4 State Semis
2004 8-5 Regionals
2005 11-4 State Runner Up
2006 11-3 State Semis
2007 9-4 Regionals
2008 7-6 Regionals
2009 13-2 State Runner Up
2010 15-0 State Champs
2011 14-1 State Runner Up
2012 14-1 State Champs
2013 14-1 State Champs
2014 14-1 State Champs
2015 14-1 State Champs
2016 Remains to be written

I'm trying to think but, I can only think of 1 time back past this into the 80's in which the Cards didn't make it to at least the semis. That would be the debacle in the mud against Murray in 1997. I just thought this would be really neat to share.

By the way, if it looks a little jumbled in spots, please forgive me, I'm doing this on my phone.
I see at least 2 things wrong, the 99 team got beat by Hancock County in the regionals. Mr Football Travis Atwell. The 2004 team got beat by Danville in the state semi's.
You are correct. 99 we got beat in Regionals. I just missed it when I typed that up. You can tell by the record indicating only 13 games played.
You are also correct on 04. For some odd reason we only played 13 games and went to semis. I was counting the games and that is how I sold us short.
mysonis55 Wrote:You are also correct on 04. For some odd reason we only played 13 games and went to semis. I was counting the games and that is how I sold us short.

We were 8-6.
Not according to KHSAA site. Like I said, I pulled the info from there.
mysonis55 Wrote:Not according to KHSAA site. Like I said, I pulled the info from there.

They are wrong.
They may very well be but, it's the only official written record that I have to rely upon.
hint; maxpreps. Mayfield has not in the modern era ever played a 9 game regular season.
If you want to do the research and add the missing game feel free. I really don't think it takes that much away from the topic. If you can spend the time to research through Max Preps or another entity, you may even find enough to go further back. I just think the results speak volumes for the program.
mysonis55 Wrote:I read something elsewhere about the MHS Cardinals in our current 7 year run. I thought it was a great article but, I think it leaves people thinking this success is a new thing. So, being the stat guy that I am, I decided to go further with it. I used stats from the KHSAA past football scoreboards and therefore, I could only go back to the 1998 season.

Starting with the 1998 season until the end of the 2015 season, this is how the stats look. Mayfield has accrued a record of 213-45, which is an average of 12-3 per year. The Cards have scored a total of 9,048 points, which is an avg of 35 points per game. They have allowed a total of 3,440 points, which is an avg of 13 points per game.

During this time the Cards have won 6 state titles. They have been state runners up another 4 times. They have made it to the semis another 5 times. They have had to settle for a regional championship game another 3 times. They have never been ousted prior to the regionals during this 18 year time span.

The Cards worst season record during this 18 year stretch was 7-6. In fact, I as a lifelong Mayfield resident can't remember the last losing season. I just don't know what would happen around here if the Cards ever have one.

This is a breakdown:
1998 14-1 State Runner Up
1999 9-4 State Semis
2000 13-1 State Semis
2001 8-6 State Semis
2002 15-0 State Champs
2003 10-4 State Semis
2004 8-5 Regionals
2005 11-4 State Runner Up
2006 11-3 State Semis
2007 9-4 Regionals
2008 7-6 Regionals
2009 13-2 State Runner Up
2010 15-0 State Champs
2011 14-1 State Runner Up
2012 14-1 State Champs
2013 14-1 State Champs
2014 14-1 State Champs
2015 14-1 State Champs
2016 Remains to be written

I'm trying to think but, I can only think of 1 time back past this into the 80's in which the Cards didn't make it to at least the semis. That would be the debacle in the mud against Murray in 1997. I just thought this would be really neat to share.

By the way, if it looks a little jumbled in spots, please forgive me, I'm doing this on my phone.
You'll hurt your self by trying to think.
Indeed, an impressive program. I am not all that familiar with the history - so seeing it layed out like that does speak volumes to those accomplishments. A few questions come to mind:

1. How many coaches have you had over that span of success?
2. Have you always played at the same level? (3A, 4A, or different)?
3. What do you think accounts for that level of sustained success?

Thanks for sharing.

Dave
Dave Diamond
Pound High School Class of '89
Union College Class of '93
U.S. Army Class of '97

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." -Galations 2:20
mysonis55 Wrote:If you want to do the research and add the missing game feel free. I really don't think it takes that much away from the topic. If you can spend the time to research through Max Preps or another entity, you may even find enough to go further back. I just think the results speak volumes for the program.

What missing game? You just say 8-5, when the record was 8-6. Mayfield was was 5-5 in the regular season and won 3 straight playoff games and then lost to Danville on the road . I was there.
My suggestion is if you're doing research , make sure its accurate.
Curious to who has been the biggest thorn in the side of Mayfield?
What team is responsible for the most of those 45 losses?
Killer in the Sun Wrote:What missing game? You just say 8-5, when the record was 8-6. Mayfield was was 5-5 in the regular season and won 3 straight playoff games and then lost to Danville on the road . I was there.
My suggestion is if you're doing research , make sure its accurate.

Why don't you cry about it a little bit more? Not that big of a deal.
Why do people from Lowes claim they are from Mayfield?
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Curious to who has been the biggest thorn in the side of Mayfield?

Easy to answer that. Danville. Mayfield is 1-9 against them. That is going back to 87 when they first met. I think last time they played was 06 or so.
killbilly usmc Wrote:Easy to answer that. Danville. Mayfield is 1-9 against them. That is going back to 87 when they first met. I think last time they played was 06 or so.

I never would have guessed that. What is Tilghman's record against the Cardinals?
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Curious to who has been the biggest thorn in the side of Mayfield?

good question. I wonder what the overall series with Fort Campbell is like.
Football1,
Thank you for your questions. That's very good questions. First, Danville is the biggest thorn, followed by Caldwell or PT. Next, we have only had 2 head coaches during this stretch. Last, it's a complete program approach. The kids have become conditioned to expect to win from the time they start in 2nd grade. The coaches for elementary for the most part are ex Mayfield greats. They run the same type offense and defense from 2nd grade until they graduate. Then, our coaches use the same exact formula for everything they do year in and year out. The coaches will be seen watching there upcoming talent in elementary games through middle school games. The coaches know the boys by name and know their role before they ever get to high school. That is my take anyway.
Pj if you are going by losses all time tilghman would be the biggest thorn in the side. The record is disputed, but the numbers I hear the most is a tie at this time of 46-46-10. Mayfield has pretty much dominated in last 20 or so years. Hopkinsville holds a lead of 32-30-2, but they haven't played each other in this last great 7 year run. Mayfield holds a lead of 25-4 on ft campbell. All time I wouldn't call caldwell county a thorn in the side mayfield leads that 38-9-1. If we are talking thorn in the side in the last few years caldwell county is a good choice. Personally the team as of late that looks to me like is going to be the biggest thorn in the side is mccracken county, but its only been a series for 3 years. All 3 games so far have been incredible. If anyone wants to see an almost guaranteed great game this year Mayfield/mccracken would be a good choice.
Football1,
I'm sorry. I forgot to address the classification question. During this run, all but this last year were in 1a. This last season was in 2a. Mayfield has won 12 state championships now. 6 of those were in 1a and 6 in 2a. Mayfield has also been state runner up 9 times. 4 of those in 1a and 5 in 2a.
Ghost of Joey,
On this site, we are supposed to refrain from trying to divulge anyone's identity. But, since you opened that can, I can tell you that your research is slightly flawed.
mysonis55 Wrote:Football1,
Thank you for your questions. That's very good questions. First, Danville is the biggest thorn, followed by Caldwell or PT. Next, we have only had 2 head coaches during this stretch. Last, it's a complete program approach. The kids have become conditioned to expect to win from the time they start in 2nd grade. The coaches for elementary for the most part are ex Mayfield greats. They run the same type offense and defense from 2nd grade until they graduate. Then, our coaches use the same exact formula for everything they do year in and year out. The coaches will be seen watching there upcoming talent in elementary games through middle school games. The coaches know the boys by name and know their role before they ever get to high school. That is my take anyway.

watching a fundamentally sound team is a thing of beauty.
killbilly usmc Wrote:Pj if you are going by losses all time tilghman would be the biggest thorn in the side. The record is disputed, but the numbers I hear the most is a tie at this time of 46-46-10. Mayfield has pretty much dominated in last 20 or so years. Hopkinsville holds a lead of 32-30-2, but they haven't played each other in this last great 7 year run. Mayfield holds a lead of 25-4 on ft campbell. All time I wouldn't call caldwell county a thorn in the side mayfield leads that 38-9-1. If we are talking thorn in the side in the last few years caldwell county is a good choice. Personally the team as of late that looks to me like is going to be the biggest thorn in the side is mccracken county, but its only been a series for 3 years. All 3 games so far have been incredible. If anyone wants to see an almost guaranteed great game this year Mayfield/mccracken would be a good choice.

Thanks for the numbers. I figured Hopkinsville did good in the past, but hadn't heard much about them lately.
mysonis55 Wrote:Football1,

Why do you think Danville has so much success against them?
Most programs have groups of athletes come around ever so often that are just better or the competition is not as good. Hard to stay on top forever, even Alabama had some down years.
All of the success that Danville had was back when they were a real power. They were very similar to us. They had a great coaching staff and lots of speed. They typically had more size with their speed though. I think Boyle County has severely limited their numbers and therefore they haven't posed the same threat since around 06 or 07.
pjdoug Wrote:Why do you think Danville has so much success against them?

Got to give Danville a lot of credit, but the late 80's and early 90's is probably Danville greatest run, they also had a descent run in the early 00's and mayfield played them a lot in that timeframe. I'm not just saying this because I pull for mayfield, but no one should judge mayfields success and take anything away from them just because of the Danville numbers. Much the same as no one should take anything away from beechwood for being 0-7 against mayfield. Programs have there stretches of being a beast. If mayfield, or danville either one had to face beechwood every year of the 90's most likely both would have lost to beechwood most of the time, much the same as Danville wouldn't have faired well at all against mayfield from 09 till present. Belfry right now is in an era where they are dominant as well, and they are loaded for a few more years. 20 years from now who knows who will be dominating everyone else.
I think there was also a little bit of a mental thing with the Ads. I think that has since graduated away though.