Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EKY football on the rise?
With Tyler Pack having an impressive commit to UK as a walk-on to be their kicker, I couldn't help but notice the number of D1 prospects coming out of EKY. Johnson Central had one or two others based on some of their posters, Ashland Blazer had one commit to UK and Marshall before coming to WKU with another player from Blazer. I'm sure Belfry had a few kids get good college looks. A kid from Fairview decided to play for Marshall. That's who I have seen based on posts from BGR. Could EKY be gaining some ground in developing consistent D1 talent? I would say this has been quite a year for EKY to be proud of in football.
There is more D1 talent in football than basketball in the state which always made me wonder why the khsaa bends over backwards for basketball and not football like some states do.
Money. Sweet Sixteen is the cash cow
Talent has always been here, a few kids have went to some big camps and got the attention of coaches. When coaches come they don't just make one stop, they check all the area schools. The talent is here the boys just have to work hard. With all the social media now it's easier to get your name out there.
Belfry has already had one OL commit to UK and two more that UK should be LIVING at Belfry for. Of course, Kash Daniel was Mr. Football and signed with UK, coming from a small Class A school. Pikeville had three (and could have had four) sign with NAIA schools, which I note is not Div 1, but still impressive for a Class A school. And don't forget about Riley Hall at Pulaski Co. I know, whether that's a mountain school or not is often debated on here. Oh, and forgot about Kent Phelps from Paintsville. Will be a senior this year and will be playing D1 ball the following season somewhere.
x
I don't think they are on the rise, I think they have always had good football teams and players in EKY. The young men this year are just carrying on the tradition of what has always been there...solid tough nosed mountain football players!
They used to not go to college and if they did, would not stay. Still an issue with some.
EKY has had some good prospects in both football and basketball, I just don't remember them ever getting this many players going off to play D1. Seems like all the major schools that direction have a couple players getting some serious looks. They'll produce a lot of solid D2 players and an occasional D1 star, but recently it seems like they have produced those same D2 players to go along with a few more D1.
If they keep growing at the current rate they may catch up to west Ky in about 10 years or so.