Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Birth of a new DYNASTY at Shelby Valley
After watching them play in the WYMT, I love the style of play and team unity of the young, up and coming, Shelby Valley Wildcats. The Justice kid looks to be a natural born leader, and I beleive the sky is the limit for this team in the coming years.
The next four years they probley will be a DYNASTY in the 15th. In the next few years this will be a top team in the State. Good luck Valley.
I agree..Love to watch this team play period!
Havent had the oppurtunity to see them play this year.
i love to watch this team play to they are a very unselfish team.
The same thing was said about the juniors from Paintsville.... and it hasn't exactly worked out that way...
With the exception of last season's record Shelby Valley in my opinion has been somewhat a 15th region dynasty for some years now.

Since the 99-00 season Shelby Valley's overall record (including this year) is 173-54. They are 121-22 in the 15th Region in that time, and 46-6 in the 59th district in that time.

It only seems to be getting better as well over the next few years with this team that may be able to compete with teams down state in the next few years when they gain more experience.
I agree.This young valley team will be dangerous in about 2 years
they are a real fun team to watch they pass the ball they may not have much meat, just checking from the rooster on the wymt program but i think some of the boys were bigger than what was said, but they make up for this in having alot of speed i hope i get to see them play in furture because it will be a fun thing to see.
Young Talent this year..Be great in 2 years
I hate seeing Valley's freshman le this lol cuz Pikeville's freshman are probably the best class Pikeville will have for a long time and now they get overlooked....but ye valley's freshman could do some damage in rupp
Pikeville does have a good freshmen class, but they cannot compete with that of Valley, Taylor Newsome, Elisha Justice, and Ashley Hatfield are not only freshmen but some of the best players in the region.
ComeFlyWithMe Wrote:Pikeville does have a good freshmen class, but they cannot compete with that of Valley, Taylor Newsome, Elisha Justice, and Ashley Hatfield are not only freshmen but some of the best players in the region.
well i would tend to think that they would compete... these arent the pikeville kids of some of the past years they wont just roll over anymore but yes i do think valleys are just plain nd simple better right now
PoppaBear Wrote:After watching them play in the WYMT, I love the style of play and team unity of the young, up and coming, Shelby Valley Wildcats. The Justice kid looks to be a natural born leader, and I beleive the sky is the limit for this team in the coming years.

I love what you wrote. That is so true. i totally agree
alfus21 Wrote:With the exception of last season's record Shelby Valley in my opinion has been somewhat a 15th region dynasty for some years now.

Since the 99-00 season Shelby Valley's overall record (including this year) is 173-54. They are 121-22 in the 15th Region in that time, and 46-6 in the 59th district in that time.

It only seems to be getting better as well over the next few years with this team that may be able to compete with teams down state in the next few years when they gain more experience.

I agree and this new team seems to be following suit.TongueirateSho
The King Wrote:The same thing was said about the juniors from Paintsville.... and it hasn't exactly worked out that way...

They seem to work better as a team than the Painstville team, don't you think? Your right though everyone did say that about Painstville.
Panther Thunder Wrote:I hate seeing Valley's freshman le this lol cuz Pikeville's freshman are probably the best class Pikeville will have for a long time and now they get overlooked....but ye valley's freshman could do some damage in rupp

I think that Pikeville's 8th group is better than the Freshmen.
Since 97 the Valley program has had more talent than any other school in eastern ky. It should have be a dynasty, but I don't call 2 regional crowns in 9 years hardly a dynasty. Paintsville with 2 mr. basketballs, several regional crowns and a state championship, now thats a dynasty.
nasticus Wrote:Since 97 the Valley program has had more talent than any other school in eastern ky. It should have be a dynasty, but I don't call 2 regional crowns in 9 years hardly a dynasty. Paintsville with 2 mr. basketballs, several regional crowns and a state championship, now thats a dynasty.

That's what you say "was" a dynasty. They haven't won the region since 98' so their credibility is slipping as a 15th region dynasty.

2 in 9 years isn't a dynasty, but winning 3 out of the last 5 and being runner up in one of those seasons could be considered a work in progress.
I have yet to see this year's Shelby Valley team play, but winning 3 Region Titles in 5 years, and being runner-up during a year everyone thought you had nothing, that's saying something. Those stats were incredible. I'm really looking forward to watching them play.
OK I conceed it is a work in progress, but this is a school I feel has under achieved over the last decade.
nasticus Wrote:OK I conceed it is a work in progress, but this is a school I feel has under achieved over the last decade.

I agree with that. Especially when you consider the 2001 team that went undefeated in the region in regular season and got beat in the 1st round on their home court.

The other underachieving team that comes to mind is the 2004 team that was loaded and got beat out by Prestonsburg in the regional tournament.

Those two are the main ones that come to mind for me.
I do not know if you are familiar with the feeder schools to valley, but since the early 90's Virgie or Dorton (usually both) have been the best jr. high teams in eastern ky. However the same teams that the beat by 20 before usually end up beating them in high school.
nasticus Wrote:I do not know if you are familiar with the feeder schools to valley, but since the early 90's Virgie or Dorton (usually both) have been the best jr. high teams in eastern ky. However the same teams that the beat by 20 before usually end up beating them in high school.

I agree with that assessment if we're talking about football, but not basketball. Very few regional teams beat them during those regional champion years. One other factor is that many players have decided not to play for various reasons. You can't realistically ask for much more than 3 regional championships in 5 years. So many things can happen during tournament time. The best team definitely doesn't always win.
I have benn to a few of SV's games this year and I think they have good team chemistry and they all are very unshelfish and move the ball around, and from the opening tip they will press you full court. I like that kind of basketball.
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:I agree with that assessment if we're talking about football, but not basketball. Very few regional teams beat them during those regional champion years. One other factor is that many players have decided not to play for various reasons. You can't realistically ask for much more than 3 regional championships in 5 years. So many things can happen during tournament time. The best team definitely doesn't always win.

Oh you are completely right, they have under achieved because alot of these kids did not play. It is bad when you can get a better team out of the hallway. I am taking nothing away from the 3 titles Valley has, this is quite an accomplishment. I am just saying that since the mid 90's the opportunity was there for a few more.
nasticus Wrote:I am just saying that since the mid 90's the opportunity was there for a few more.

Which years exactly is it that you are talking about???
I watched SV play last week & I must say I agree with you all. They are a very talented team! That's for sure.
nasticus Wrote:Oh you are completely right, they have under achieved because alot of these kids did not play. It is bad when you can get a better team out of the hallway. I am taking nothing away from the 3 titles Valley has, this is quite an accomplishment. I am just saying that since the mid 90's the opportunity was there for a few more.

I agree completely. There is more talent at Valley than any other school in the mountians..IMO at least.. but most of it never touches a high school court. Valley has a great team brewing, and they will more than likely be one of top teams in the state in a few years. This team may solidify Valleys "dyanasty" over the past few years, but it has had the potentional to be that already. There's way too much politics in the Valley, as I'm sure with most schools, to allow them to show the areas true potential.

And as for the comparison to Paintsville, this team has already proved they can play together and win while they were in middel school. Paintsville has had the talent, but not the team to be a top 10 team. If Valley keeps their heads on straight and don't try to be selfish, they'll be a top 10 team in a 2-3 years.
alfus21 Wrote:I agree with that. Especially when you consider the 2001 team that went undefeated in the region in regular season and got beat in the 1st round on their home court.

The other underachieving team that comes to mind is the 2004 team that was loaded and got beat out by Prestonsburg in the regional tournament.

Those two are the main ones that come to mind for me.

I am going back 4 yrs.....SFMS...JV.....SF 8th graders...lost 1 game...won the county Tourny...went to Lex...SF Freshman won the Floyd Co. Freshman tourny at BL...SF still has 9/15 of those players....when those boys are in a game...playing team ball... and prevails....where is the coach??...These boys know what team ball means to win a game. Make a 3 or pass for a 2....Points....More Points......than the other team.....WIN's a game..........