Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Updated Maher Rankings 2/7
The latest rankings have been posted. Scott County moves up, Henry Clay and Mercer down. Check out the full rankings, Upset of the Week, Movers of the Week, Games of the Week upcoming and the Region Strengths, as well as explanations for all the craziness (the mathematical craziness that is).

http://www.maherrankings.com
SoccerMath Wrote:The latest rankings have been posted. Scott County moves up, Henry Clay and Mercer down. Check out the full rankings, Upset of the Week, Movers of the Week, Games of the Week upcoming and the Region Strengths, as well as explanations for all the craziness (the mathematical craziness that is).

http://www.maherrankings.com

3 out of top 4 in state in the 11th region. The 11th will be a better tournament than the Sweet 16.
These teams are tough but these rankings look like they were picked by the coaches in central and northern ky. Bryan Starion beat Scott co and they are pitiful. Newport Catholic is nowhere near the top 20 caliber. That's a joke.
Lawrence County beat Newort Central on a neutral Court. An Perry Central on a neutral court. Lost to Trinty by 10 on a neutral Court. If Lawrence is not a top twenty team in the state you voters on this poll don't no much about basketball .
Also Lawrence an Perry Central should be tied for 1 in the mountains but we're not someone explain that to me win they split the 2 games this season.How about someone give this group of young men some credit.
I don't know why it's so difficult to realize that these ratings are not a poll, but a system that has had moderate success in predicting the top teams. Never understood why people cry about rankings and ratings anyways. If you're that good then you'll prove it when it matters.
Wildcat man Wrote:Lawrence County beat Newort Central on a neutral Court. An Perry Central on a neutral court. Lost to Trinty by 10 on a neutral Court. If Lawrence is not a top twenty team in the state you voters on this poll don't no much about basketball .
Also Lawrence an Perry Central should be tied for 1 in the mountains but we're not someone explain that to me win they split the 2 games this season.How about someone give this group of young men some credit.

To my knowledge # 11 Newport Central Catholic and #24 Perry Central are the only top 25 teams Lawrence County has beaten.

Paparazzi Wrote:These teams are tough but these rankings look like they were picked by the coaches in central and northern ky. Bryan Starion beat Scott co and they are pitiful. Newport Catholic is nowhere near the top 20 caliber. That's a joke.

Yes, but Scott County also beat #4 Henry Clay twice, #22 Lexington Catholic, #13 Oldham County, and #23 Fern Creek. They are 5-0 against teams in the top 25.
If teams like Perry and Lawrence want more respect in the polls then take care of business in your regional tournaments and go beat somebody at Rupp. Lawrence fans have cried on here all year about respect but they haven't beaten anybody to get respect. They had their chances at the Lex Cath tournament but didn't take advantage of it. Perry same situation. Perry lost their best player who transferred and now they gotta earn respect. I know Perry beat Catholic last week but Catholic is not considered a top tier win this year especially with if coming on Perry home floor. Rankings don't mean anything. I'm a Knott fan and we were ranked top 5 all last year and did that help us any at end of year?
Motley Wrote:I don't know why it's so difficult to realize that these ratings are not a poll, but a system that has had moderate success in predicting the top teams. Never understood why people cry about rankings and ratings anyways. If you're that good then you'll prove it when it matters.

Correct, the maher rankings aren't a poll. They are calculated mathematically, based on games scores and home court advantage. Bias is sneaky in how it enters any endeavor, but I don't how it would enter for a particular geographic region. We started with a mathatically sound formula, and any tweaks we've made were done with prediction rate as the guide.
I can understand the Lawrence County complaint. They definitely have some quality wins: a win and a loss against the #9 and #11, then a win and a loss against the #18 - all neutral court. Then also the loss to the #39, also on a neutral court. Looking at those alone, you could make the argument for top 25ish. The problem is they haven't been able to gain many points in the rest of their games, because the competition is too weak - probably no fault of their own, you just have to travel farther in sparsely populated areas to find the competition, and it's not as practical. Still, the numbers are the numbers, nothing I can do about 'em. Here is the resume in rank order of their opponent's quality.