Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ashland 59 Fairview 56
Ashland (12-4) 59 Fairview (9-12) 56
Realistically, Ashland is not a regional contender. Should they make the region they will be a scary draw. Congratulations to Coach Howell and the improvements the team has made. I feel like most are shocked. I do believe that if Baker and OBryan had not graduated early and had decided to play basketball the Ashland would have the two best defenders in the region and would have been a threat to win the region. Nevertheless they have been competitive without the aid of transfers like some believed were necessary.
OBryan was average at best at basketball , to say he would've been one of the best defenders in the region is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard , Baker was a very good defender but was a big liability on offense he couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat l
Neither was going to be a polished basketball player. Athletically they would have been very good defensively. In watched them play a couple of summer league games and I believe they would make a huge difference. Glad my thoughts earned the top spot in your list. I watch OBryan defend Vanhoose former Russell and Fletcher former Ironton in some pick up games and his size and quickness allowed him to defend both a quality perimeter play and a quality post player. Doesn't matter though because both Baker and OBryan are in college early.
Ashland has a far better record this season and Coach Howell is to be commended for his good work. However, the euphoria is lessened by a couple of facts. One, the region is very weak from top to bottom. There isn't really a top fifty team in the region. Second, Ashland has played a weak schedule- much because it plays its weak neighbors in the region. For example, the AIT field was surely the weakest in the history of this formerly top tournament.

Now, having stated the facts, Howell is still to be commended. He has the Villers boy and pot luck. Mediocre at best. But, since the region is less than mediocre, who knows what might transpire?
Realistically Ashland has improved a lot due in main part to kids wanting to play for Jeremy. You guys are seeing Mike Flynn basketball which regardless of what any of you yoyo's say, was very successful at Ashland. The region is weak but Ashland, Boyd, Greenup, West Carter, Elliott County, Morgan County, Rowan County and Lewis could all easily win the region without anyone giving it much thought or shock. Overall good job to Jeremy and his team.