Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top Mountain Football Teams for 2016
1. Belfry
2. Johnson Central

Who else?
I'm gonna say Pikeville... Lol
Pikeville has the 1A state title, they have to be on a list of Top Mtn Teams
1. Belfry. 2. Pikeville. 3.Johnson Central.
4. Paintsville. 5. North Laurel.
6. Knox Central. 7. Corbin.
8. Raceland 9. Lawrence County 10. Ashland
Pulaski will lose a great Sr. class and a lot of people will write them off,but they have a lot of young players that will step in and keep PC rolling! Unfortunately for PC South Western has a lot of talent coming back and very well could be state contenders next year!
Raceland has a lot coming back
Hoping Paintsville has some good talent step up to help Phelps! Raceland should be tuff. Pikeville will be excellent! Belfry always is!
Doesn't Pikeville lose a lot this year?
mysonis55 Wrote:Doesn't Pikeville lose a lot this year?

I think they lose 12 seniors.

I think Pikeville takes a small step back early in the season next year. This years senior class is a load to replace. I do think the coaching staff will have them in contention by the time playoffs roll around though.
I think Corbin is a top 5 team next year. We lose the left guard on offense and three d-linemen on defense. I don't think lambert will easily replaced but honestly I think overall the defense will be a lot better next year.
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:I think they lose 12 seniors.

I think Pikeville takes a small step back early in the season next year. This years senior class is a load to replace. I do think the coaching staff will have them in contention by the time playoffs roll around though.

Pikeville lost a lot of great players, no doubt about it. Hopefully they don't take much of a step back. How's this for a starting backfield:

QB Battaile
RB Blake Charles
RB Rhodes
also have Ray, Sparks (stud) and more
WR Slone
WR McNamee
WR McDonald
also have Dials and Elkins, very good players...and more
Line: Campoy back, Edmonds, Salyer
Also have a freshman class coming in that was one play from winning the middle school state championship.

The way the coaching staff brought this year's team along and coached them was an absolute thing of beauty. Add to that the home-field playoffs come through Pikeville next year as long as they keep winning. Pikeville should have another very good team next year. Paintsville will be good again, Hazard has a lot of talent and will be tough, Raceland will be Raceland, Fairview is always tough, and Williamsburg will be getting back closer to the Williamsburg of the last few years...It will be another great year in Eastern KY Class A next year and whoever survives will have a great shot at another title!:Cheerlead
Cardinals ride Wrote:8. Raceland 9. Lawrence County 10. Ashland

I misread thread title. Strike LC and Ashland both lost a ton of talent. I'm sure both will still be good but take major steps backwards.
E's Army Wrote:4. Paintsville. 5. North Laurel.
6. Knox Central. 7. Corbin.

Knox came out of no where with some big wins over Lou Central and Corbin
If I had to swag a guess:

1. Belfry- 18 Starters Backs
2. Johnson Central- Lots of depth and a solid number of starters
3. Corbin- 17 Starters Back Including the top QB in EKY
4. Southwestern- Not a great team in 2015 but return a ton including Edwards
5. Pulaski County- Expect a substantial step back, but their program is so good they will still be very good
6. Pikeville- Expect a bit of a step back, but Pikeville should still be the favorite in EKY 1A
7. Knox Central- Great foundation and a solid QB
8. Bell County- Humfleet is a baller! Don't think they stack up to Belfry and Corbin though.
9. Paintsville- Having Phelps certainly helps, but big questions
10. Harlan County- Bears were super young and really improved.
My top 5 as of right now. :betterthanexpected:

1.Belfry
2.Corbin
3.Johnson Central
4.North Laurel
5.Knox Central
No offense to Corbin but I'm not putting them in front of anyone they couldn't beat this year. They are going to show me. Also not anointing their QB who threw for 91 yds/game the top QB, although he is very good. I like Corbin, but waaaaaay too early to rank them in the top 5. They have a lot to prove.
jetpilot Wrote:No offense to Corbin but I'm not putting them in front of anyone they couldn't beat this year. They are going to show me. Also not anointing their QB who threw for 91 yds/game the top QB, although he is very good. I like Corbin, but waaaaaay too early to rank them in the top 5. They have a lot to prove.

No offense taken. Jmo TongueirateSho
64SUR Wrote:No offense taken. Jmo TongueirateSho

Wasn't singling you out 64! EKU put them right up there too! We all know your polls are to be taken seriously...I am a Corbin fan, and I've heard great things about the QB...:truestory:
EKUAlum05 Wrote:If I had to swag a guess:

5. Pulaski County- Expect a substantial step back, but their program is so good they will still be very good
6. Pikeville- Expect a bit of a step back, but Pikeville should still be the favorite in EKY 1A
8. Bell County- Humfleet is a baller! Don't think they stack up to Belfry and Corbin though.

I'd say you've nailed it.
The thing about Corbin this year is that they didn't have a true identity on offense. One game, they would run it 80% of the time, the next they would throw it 80% of the time, and the next, they would rely on Sizemore. That's not a knock on the staff or players. It's simply just a growing pain. Corbin hit a rough stretch around mid season with the losses to Southwestern, Mayfield, and Danville, and ended with a clunker against Knox but they really grew as a team as a trip to the semis showed.

Sometimes rebuilding years can last exactly like the title says YEAR. Corbin made due with what they had this year and in my opinion be a well oiled machine in 2016. Sizemore will be back and be even more of a load that he was this year. 17 returning starters says a whole lot about a team. It doesn't hurt that the amazing Freshman class will now be sophomores. I think that Corbin will be right back to where they were at the end of this year. Will they be able to unseat Belfry? With all the Pirates return, it's doubtful, but I guarantee you will see a better game. Corbin's returning players will benefit more from the experience.

The year I think it really takes off is in 2017. I can honestly say that although it's unfair to put expectations, Corbin will be the clear cut favorite. Sizemore will be a senior, the numbers improve each year, and that freshman class that was arguably the best middle school team in the history of Kentucky will be juniors and firmly in the rotation. Middle School success doesn't always transfer over to high school, but with this class, there is something special. You are about to see Corbin's resurgence to being an elite program in Kentucky like it was for so many years.
jetpilot Wrote:Pikeville lost a lot of great players, no doubt about it. Hopefully they don't take much of a step back. How's this for a starting backfield:

QB Battaile
RB Blake Charles
RB Rhodes
WR Slone
WR McNamee
WR McDonald
Also have a freshman class coming in that was one play from winning the middle school state championship.

The way the coaching staff brought this year's team along and coached them was an absolute thing of beauty. Add to that the home-field playoffs come through Pikeville next year as long as they keep winning. Pikeville should have another very good team next year. Paintsville will be good again, Hazard has a lot of talent and will be tough, Raceland will be Raceland, Fairview is always tough, and Williamsburg will be getting back closer to the Williamsburg of the last few years...It will be another great year in Eastern KY Class A next year and whoever survives will have a great shot at another title!:Cheerlead

Agree, jp. Looks good for next season. With the line, we can also add Kyle Martin, who will be as senior(Big kid) who started for around mid way through the season at off. tackle. Freshman Brayden Hunter got some reps at off. tackle this season(Big Kid) as well. Going to enjoy this one, but next season gives us more to look forward to, imo.TongueirateSho
jetpilot Wrote:Pikeville lost a lot of great players, no doubt about it. Hopefully they don't take much of a step back. How's this for a starting backfield:

QB Battaile
RB Blake Charles
RB Rhodes
WR Slone
WR McNamee
WR McDonald

Also keep in mind a kid named Tyler Collins. Kid is decent sized and has good instincts and athletic ability. Give this kid an off-season in our a weight program and he will be a FORCE on the O-Line as well as an inside Linebacker on D.
Whitley County Colonels!
jetpilot Wrote:No offense to Corbin but I'm not putting them in front of anyone they couldn't beat this year. They are going to show me. Also not anointing their QB who threw for 91 yds/game the top QB, although he is very good. I like Corbin, but waaaaaay too early to rank them in the top 5. They have a lot to prove.

Pikeville will make my top 10 list in 2016....:Cheerlead And in 1A they will get the #1 spot.
What will North Laurel look like next year? How many starters do they have coming back?
EKUAlum05 Wrote:If I had to swag a guess:

Is it even possible Belfry could be better next year than this year with that many starters back?
corbin was a good win but corbin wasn't that good
Rockcastle will crack into the top 10 this year. This team was a totally different team at the end the year and had a really good Wayne county on the ropes in the playoffs, but end up a giving them the game. They return all 11 starters on both sides of the ball.