Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State Championship Schedule Strength
For those like me who like to look at who teams really played and how they did against them. I thought i'd compile some data and put it in 1 place. The first set of numbers is the record vs the maxpreps top 5000 and the 2nd set is the maxpreps top 2000. I did this to get some separation between the "good teams" on there vs the "really good".

1A
Pikeville 1-2 0-1
Beechwood 1-1 0-0

2A
Mayfield 5-1 1-1
NCC 1-5 0-2

3A
Belfry 9-1 2-1
Lex Cath 8-3 3-3

4A
South Warren 9-0 2-0
Johnson Cent 4-1 1-1

5A
Bowling Green 9-1 5-1
Pulaski 5-1 2-1

6A
Male 9-0 7-0
Lafayette 9-2 5-2
Pretty cool stats:
- Male's 7-0 vs. maxpreps 2000 is pretty darn impressive
- The 2A Matchup says a lot
- 3A Championship ain't messing around!
- Beechwood and Pikeville definitely look like 1A teams by comparison
I don't know that you can say that Beechwood and Pikeville "definitely look like 1A teams by comparison". Only one game against a Top 2000 school (I'm guessing that was Belfry). Belfry would be a tough row to hoe for many of the class reps except probably Male. With a 2-3 record against top 5000 teams overall, I'd say that shows their strength more so than anything. Because face it, how many top 5000 schools are most 1A teams going to play to begin with? But agree, very interesting look.
I feel like with Mayfield moving to 2A, the 1A has lost a lot strength and now it seems to look more like small schools. Which is a good thing and I don't know if that makes sense to everyone else, but what I'm trying to say is Pikeville and Beechwood and other teams in 1A look like 1A team you'd expect to see.
PHSForever Wrote:I don't know that you can say that Beechwood and Pikeville "definitely look like 1A teams by comparison". Only one game against a Top 2000 school (I'm guessing that was Belfry). Belfry would be a tough row to hoe for many of the class reps except probably Male. With a 2-3 record against top 5000 teams overall, I'd say that shows their strength more so than anything. Because face it, how many top 5000 schools are most 1A teams going to play to begin with? But agree, very interesting look.

I believe what EKU is saying is you can tell the difference in the SOS of the 1A schools compared to the bigger schools.

Which isn't wrong. You even stated in your last two sentences exactly what he was trying to say.
1A looks like a good matchup.
2A looks lopsided.
3A and 4A look like they're even.
5A looks like there is a favorite.
6A lafayette looks like they should be playing Pulaski. Male is just freaky good.
They miss us in 1a.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I believe what EKU is saying is you can tell the difference in the SOS of the 1A schools compared to the bigger schools.

Which isn't wrong. You even stated in your last two sentences exactly what he was trying to say.

[Image: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736...55d5f0.jpg]
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I believe what EKU is saying is you can tell the difference in the SOS of the 1A schools compared to the bigger schools.

I think I wasn't clear. I was simply pointing out that it could be interpreted as a slight vs 1A. Pikeville and Beechwood schedules are a little better than MOST (not all) 1A schools in that they are teams who schedule to make themselves better. But even they are sometimes limited because of their weaker district schedules making it hard to work in better games. I basically agreed with his assessment, just disagreed a little with how it was worded perception wise.
PHSForever Wrote:I think I wasn't clear. I was simply pointing out that it could be interpreted as a slight vs 1A. Pikeville and Beechwood schedules are a little better than MOST (not all) 1A schools in that they are teams who schedule to make themselves better. But even they are sometimes limited because of their weaker district schedules making it hard to work in better games. I basically agreed with his assessment, just disagreed a little with how it was worded perception wise.

Yeah all I was saying is it is easy to see who the two smallest schools are simply by the numbers.

When you are a 1A school it is tough to schedule the kinds of teams that make this statistic up. Very few teams will be ranked this high in your class you would see in the playoffs and the majority of your schedule will be filled with other small schools.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:[Image: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736...55d5f0.jpg]

You silly Nazi.
The teams who played the harder schedule won 5 of the 6 games this weekend. Hmmmmmm...............