Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should Hammond be fired at SCHS
I am a completely neutral observer on this matter. But I scouted the Powell Co game with Sheldon clark. It may be the worst coached team i have seen in a while. The kids were lost on offense and couldn't figure out the press from Powell. It was as simple as putting someone in the middle against the press and then hit the wings. I do not know the coach and I am sure he is a good man but his kids were lost out there tonite.
I'm curious about who SC will get to coach.
Here's my list of possibilities....Roger Harless....current girls coach and know the kids, Ervin Stepp....former Mr. Basketball who lives in Martin County,Shawn Hager(If Eric Ratliff can do it Shawn can), Les Trimble.....currently out of coaching but familiar with the 57th district, Rodney Rowe.....would he be willing to get back in coaching???, Jeff Hall...coached OJ Mayo but could he handle Martin County. Alot of good coaches available if Sheldon Clark is willing to commit to the basketball program.
I am neutral in this matter also.

It is just my opinion, but to me Sheldon Clark has had as good if not better talent then most of the schools in the 15th Region for the 6 years and only have one 57th District title to show for it.
The 2004 should have played at Rupp and possibly the 2005 team.
Dont really sound like they need one now anyway.
*Coeus* Wrote:Redneck, does he do a good job with his boys in the off-season? Does he put in the time that he should?

No idea. Usually his boys play baseball too so he can't really do much with them when they are playin another sport in the offseason. Basketball players are made in the summer, camps, practices, weights etc.
most of the boys play baseball and football. I know danny hinkle,milhouse,and damen hensley all play football. Brady horn plays baseball. Damen being the Qb for the sc football team probably goes to more football camps than basketball camps. IMO hammond does a good enough job at sc to not get fired
No! Plain and Simple.
I don't think he should be fired mainly because they will get some1 who knows nothing about the game that is related to somebody "important" in martin county politics which will not benifit the kids at all.which is the same way they get teachers. IMO hammond deserves the job
Old school Dawg Wrote:I do know all about your goofy political arena over there in the school system.I never said one word about Hager either.I too,, think he is a heck of a coach.Your too easy pal.Every school system has people who suck up to the superintentent no matter who it is or how pathetic they are.Now I know one personally.:letsparty

Know one personally? I HATE Mark Blackburn. He is an AWFUL superintendent, in my opinion. and I would NEVER suck up to someone to get my way.
It's called dignity, and I have a little bit.
Why should they keep him......If he can't win with the talent he has had....how is he going to win when it runs out.
*Coeus* Wrote:Redneck, does he do a good job with his boys in the off-season? Does he put in the time that he should?

More time than most people would believe.
Mohawk Wrote:Why should they keep him......If he can't win with the talent he has had....how is he going to win when it runs out.

Talent he has had? Not taking away anything from SC but there is very little talent on the team. There's potential, but neccesarilly talent.
I agree gorn, about mark blackburn being horrible and pretty much everything you just said
Guys,
Has Hammond already been canned? That's the idea I am getting. He's not done that good of a job, but playing in the 57th isn't easy. His entire assistant coaches have left the team and his brother and nephew is helping. Then his nephew resigned (sounds fishy).
Harless will not take the job. Here's what my sources are telling me.
Les Trimble, former JCHS coach now at Lawrence, will be a candidate. Rodney Rowe may consider, but he'll need an administration job.
Here's a name to look out for - Mike Smith.
Smith led Tolsia to a state championship in 1996, I believe. His teams were tough and aggressive. He demands respect and he has no connections. The one coach SC had without connections (Sam Sparks) was ran out of town the same year he won the 15th Region title.
Don't blame Superintendent Blackburn. He is trying to correct the entire athletic program that has been the subject of good ol' boy politics for decades.
As for Jim Matney, he left because of the lack of support. Is he a good coach?
Just ask the number of writers and coaches across the state that named him the AP coach of the year.
Meade Wrote:I agree gorn, about mark blackburn being horrible and pretty much everything you just said

I give it two years at the most before MC is calling for his head..
sources Wrote:Guys,
Has Hammond already been canned? That's the idea I am getting. He's not done that good of a job, but playing in the 57th isn't easy. His entire assistant coaches have left the team and his brother and nephew is helping. Then his nephew resigned (sounds fishy).
Harless will not take the job. Here's what my sources are telling me.
Les Trimble, former JCHS coach now at Lawrence, will be a candidate. Rodney Rowe may consider, but he'll need an administration job.
Here's a name to look out for - Mike Smith.
Smith led Tolsia to a state championship in 1996, I believe. His teams were tough and aggressive. He demands respect and he has no connections. The one coach SC had without connections (Sam Sparks) was ran out of town the same year he won the 15th Region title.
Don't blame Superintendent Blackburn. He is trying to correct the entire athletic program that has been thegood ol' boy politics for decades.
As for Jim Matney, he left because of the lack of support. Is he a good coach?
Just ask the number of writers and coaches across the state that named him the AP coach o subject of f the year.

Don't blame Blackburn? Blackburn recently told one of the guidance counselors at SCHS, that in order to stay on staff, he had to teach alternative, because of the lack of teachers.
That guidance counselor has been there for over twenty years, but he can't keep his position unless he teaches alternative..
Matney leaving because lack of support?
Matney had Principals Dials, Haney and Bentley WHO ACTUALLY CARED ABOUT THE FOOTBALL PROGRAM.
Matney left because of a six digit contract, not the lack of support.
Blackburn has made way too many enemies, since coming into office. And when he combines Warfield and Inez at Warfield, all hell will break loose.
That's when the county will call for his head.
Come on. You call support from the administration playing in a dust bowl with no locker rooms and porta-potties. Matney spent 20 years there and built the wrestling program into a power as well.
Haney and the administration did not support Matney.
As for Blackburn, he inherited a mess. The system has had a good ol' boy system for years, and maybe some of the people living high off the hog is actually having to work.
A little work never hurt no one.
Declining enrollment is the reason for combining the schools. Look at their middle school football team this year. Didn't they run the table and win the conference?
When this happens, I hope Blackburn opens a Martin County High School and rids the county of all the Inez and Warfield crap.
That starts with a basketball coach from outside the area.
Hager is from Belfry. They are doing fine.
Jim Matney was from outside the area. He was a winner.
Sam Sparks was from Lawrence County. He was a winner.
See the trend.
Blackburn is doing the right thing.
What's right is right. It may not be popular but it is right.
If he isnt related to blackburn then he won't get the job. The martin county school system is horrible. Sheldon clark sits at the bottom of the state list in test scores and if you have spent more than 20 minutes inside of the school you would see why. Another reason why inez and warfield are being combined is because the sheldon clark high school is about to fall down. Atleast that is what i've heard. Hammond shouldn't lose his job just because Mark Blackurn is an idiot.
Isn't there a School Board also?????

The School Board can sit Blackburn in the corner if they want to and give him nothing.
Sounds like people need to attend the Board Meetings and complain to the Members.
They don't listen newb.
Meade Wrote:They don't listen newb.

First of all I am not a New B.
Second I know alot about politics and how school systems work.
If you all are unwilling to take action; then quit complaining about it!
Who says I'm unwilling? Everyone is worried about the $. You may know how school systems work but i doubt u know how the Martin County school system works. IMO Sheldon Clark High School could be the worst school in the state of Kentucky we know the test score are in the bottom 10. The place isnt clean because the alternative school is a trailor behind the school and they come in. trash the gym, trash the school, and all the do is play basketball all day. There is nowhere near enough teachers which is why there is about 30 students in every class room. Some of the teachers say they prepare you for college but won't let you go take a piss. N00B!
This will be Hammonds last season as head coach of the Cards IMO. He can't produce and should be let go!!
Tricky Wrote:First of all I am not a New B.
Second I know alot about politics and how school systems work.
If you all are unwilling to take action; then quit complaining about it!
Do you live in Martin County because if you dont then you have no idea about our board of education.
They are Elected Officals. They had to be voted into office. Somebody had to vote for them.

Vote them out, if you aren't satisfied.
i dont think anyone else ran except for Mark Blackburn, so its not like we had a choice.
The big problem with Board members being elected is just this:

The students who actually experience the problems and repercussions of the choices made by the BOE are very rarely old enough to vote. Martin County has the most screwed up system of electing officials I have ever witnessed in my entire life. People around here don't take pride in their power to vote. They don't take the time to understand the issues of what is going on around them and the negative effects it has on their children's future. Most of the time, people running for office don't even have a stand or opinion on a major issue the county is having. In order to run for an office in this area, all you need is popularity.

People here have the nerve to SELL their votes. If a candidate offers $200 to most people around here, they're so poverty stricken, that they'll take it and not think twice. What kind of system is that? Personally, my freedom of choice cannot be bought and I take pride in the fact that our forefathers faught for our right to vote, our right to choose.

Our kids and Martin County do not have a chance for improvement, ever. Martin county is made up of mostly uneducated people, and those that do seek an education after high school are usually so hell bent on getting out of the place that they don't return. Its a vicious cycle of decisions based on money and who you are and until kids from Martin County get their educations, return to Inez, and take a stand for THEIR children, nothing will ever EVER change.

I know you're going to reply with

But twentythree, if there are no educated people in Martin County, what about the teachers, lawyers, and doctors that are actually citizens there?

Plain and simple, those people are only out for themselves. The teachers (for the most part, excuse me for stereotyping) vote for who will best benefit them. As far as the Doctors and Lawyers go, I can count them on one hand. There may be 5 voting doctors and 5 voting lawyers in Martin County. 10 votes can't make a decision by themselves. And IMO, more than half of those 10 would base their decision on WHO that person is. Its all about who you know, who you are, and how much money you have, not about the job you do, the things you stand for, or the decisions you will make.

When I was in high school me and some of my fellow students brought an issue to the board of education. We suggested that they take styrofoam plates and bowls out of the school... I'm not going to get into the whole argument but the board basically agreed to do so and 4 or 5 years have passed now and its STILL there. It doesn't matter what kind of argument you make to them, they will do what they want either way. And the next people you vote in are going to be the same KIND of person, different name and face. They'll tell you what you want to hear and just keep on doing as they wish.

And to put this post on topic, Mark Blackburn is NOT a bad guy. He is trying his best to do what he sees fit. JR is a great PERSON, you guys are completely correct in saying that, but his coaching style is a lot less than desireable.

Do I think he should be fired? No. I think that someone just the same or worse will be put in his place because of who's kid they are or something equally as ridiculous.