Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Florida 14 Kentucky 9
Fla has a solid D, but their offense is less than terrible and we can't end that emabarrasding losing streak at home....Cats have scored 0 td's in their last 6 quarters with Towles at QB. Painful to watch to put it kindly! I would really like to see what Barker can do......He might not be any better, but we need to find out soon IMO....
Amen, agree 100%. I have never been sold on Towles, to me he is beginning to look like a much less talented version of the Hefty Lefty. I still think we will get to six wins (EKU, Charlotte, Vandy, plus one upset, very possibly Missouri this week), but I don't see all this great improvement we hear about, because that was one of the weaker Florida teams I've ever seen.
Not beating a weak Florida team is concerning enough but when you go 6 quarters without a TD, something needs to change. ECU had 300+ passing yards on the gators. Towles can't throw short to intermediate passes accurately enough. Either Barker is not very good or there is something else going on. The defense gave UK every chance. UK was so predictable and vanilla in their play calling Florida knew exactly what was being ran. In the end, it's still just the same old UK football.
Van Hagar Wrote:Amen, agree 100%. I have never been sold on Towles, to me he is beginning to look like a much less talented version of the Hefty Lefty. I still think we will get to six wins (EKU, Charlotte, Vandy, plus one upset, very possibly Missouri this week), but I don't see all this great improvement we hear about, because that was one of the weaker Florida teams I've ever seen.
Getting 6 wins is very possible due mainly to the fact that Missouri and Louisville might be as weak as we are and we have them at home? Auburn's QB is terrible and unless they have a better option than him to plug in we could have a shot at them?? Ga, MS and TN will spank us handily IMO... Bottom line for this team the way I see it, unless Drew Barker can come in and play at an average SEC QB level this team will have to get some big breaks to pull off a 6-6 season.............. Good luck Mark, you're gonna need it!
Patrick Towels is not an SEC caliber QB plain and simple...............I'm not even sure he would make it on some of the better MAC teams! A smarter more accurate QB last night and we win that game. I'm not thrilled with some of the things the coaching staff did either, like the clock management at the end! This Kentucky team will get better, but so will everyone else in the SEC. When we play teams like Auburn it's going to get ugly quick. I still think this Kentucky program is slowly heading in the right direction and I'm not giving up on this season yet because I think our best football of this season is still ahead of us, but after last night I don't see how you don't try another QB.
:Shaking:
^^^^That first sentence says it all right there.
I hate to pile on Towles, but I went to the opener against ULL, and on the way home my son asked me what I thought, and my answer was "We've got better offensive talent than we've had in a while, but I'm not convinced about our qb, he missed way too many open throws." I have seen nothing to change that opinion. I thought it was a red flag that Towles, who started all year last year, was not just automatically deemed the starter when camp opened this fall. Like Demarcus Ware said earlier, either Barker is not as good as hyped or something else is keeping him off the field, maybe something we don't know from the thing with the EKU players?
Well, at least Towles made sure his hair looked good.

I would tell him if he EVER wanted to play another down of football he would have to shave bald!!
SEC success requires TDs not FGs...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
Granny Bear Wrote:Well, at least Towles made sure his hair looked good.

I would tell him if he EVER wanted to play another down of football he would have to shave bald!!

I'm glad I'm not the only one this bugs. I know, I know, if he were putting up better numbers we might not care. At least not as much. The other thing that bugs me even worse is the blank face, duh, look he has while waiting on a play call from the sidelines. Seems like the cameras love to do a close up on him after every Kentucky offensive play, and he always looks like he's thinking "Dude, where did I park the car?"
[quote=Van Hagar]I'm glad I'm not the only one this bugs. I know, I know, if he were putting up better numbers we might not care. At least not as much. The other thing that bugs me even worse is the blank face, duh, look he has while waiting on a play call from the sidelines. Seems like the cameras love to do a close up on him after every Kentucky offensive play, and he always looks like he's thinking "Dude, where did I park the car?"[/QUOTE]

Confusednicker:
Confusednicker: ^^^^

See Demarcus...told you!!!
I was much higher on Towles when we were starting those two abysmal qbs in front of him but it's just not happening.
I think Towle has been failed by this coaching staff more than anything and Barker is for sure not the answer. Play calling hurt towels worse than anything Saturday but he still looked like a bad frosh instead of experienced junior.
Of UK doesn't get to 6 wins this year it'd time for another change. There are 3 cup cakes left and you've got Missouri and Lville who is awful this year.
We shall see.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I was much higher on Towles when we were starting those two abysmal qbs in front of him but it's just not happening.
I think Towle has been failed by this coaching staff more than anything and Barker is for sure not the answer. Play calling hurt towels worse than anything Saturday but he still looked like a bad frosh instead of experienced junior.
Of UK doesn't get to 6 wins this year it'd time for another change. There are 3 cup cakes left and you've got Missouri and Lville who is awful this year.
We shall see.
I don't know if Barker or Phillips either one is the answer, but what I do know is Towles can't just stand there all night with the ball in his hands. Yes our O-line didn't help, but when he did have time he looked like he was auditioning for dancing with the stars with his feet, and just hanging on until he was sacked. Play calling was bad but he has to help himself somewhat. When he took off and ran 33 yards with the ball, that was the smartest thing he done all night. I know Dawson said he didn't want him running but that beats the hell out of another sack.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I was much higher on Towles when we were starting those two abysmal qbs in front of him but it's just not happening.
We shall see.
FYI, yes, this UK staff is abysmal, but Barker's HS coach could teach circles around Towle's :thumpsup:
Granny Bear Wrote:Well, at least Towles made sure his hair looked good.

lol....I didn't know if I was the only who noticed the new doo...He's too cool for school now.
You cant ask a fan base to get behind you, ask them to come to games and sell them out like they did Saturday, and ask them for complete support than show up and do what the coaches did Saturday. That play calling was something else. I literally have never seen a coach call so many inside draws. Especially when our o line sucks as bad as it does.

Three years ago I said on here everyday we should have went after the Kuntz kid at Simon Kenton. Saturday would have been a win had we went that direction...
Van Hagar Wrote:I'm glad I'm not the only one this bugs. I know, I know, if he were putting up better numbers we might not care. At least not as much. The other thing that bugs me even worse is the blank face, duh, look he has while waiting on a play call from the sidelines. Seems like the cameras love to do a close up on him after every Kentucky offensive play, and he always looks like he's thinking "Dude, where did I park the car?"
I totally get what you're saying here only I have a little different take on it. I believe he is faking his emotions bigtime, he wants to seem like he is in total control (when the last pass he threw was terrible) and has complete confidence, but deep down he knows he falls way short in the most critical times and really lacks the confidence it takes to be a solid D-1 QB....... And that hair is a complete mess! GET A HAIR CUT!!!!!
Yeah as bad as those throws was, the coaching was worse. I understand they can only work with what they have but I would have rolled the dice, and pulled Towles. If the #1 ranked team can pull theirs then UK isn't too good to do it also. I agree the Oline didn't help which makes it even more important to make those throws when given the chance.
Black Bear Cuz Wrote:I totally get what you're saying here only I have a little different take on it. I believe he is faking his emotions bigtime, he wants to seem like he is in total control (when the last pass he threw was terrible) and has complete confidence, but deep down he knows he falls way short in the most critical times and really lacks the confidence it takes to be a solid D-1 QB....... And that hair is a complete mess! GET A HAIR CUT!!!!!
Totally agree with you there. He has a bad case of anxiety in the pocket, for some reason it takes him longer to go thru his progessions than a normal D1 QB.
His case of pocket anxiety may result from an Oline that can't hold for more that 1.5 seconds!
Could be, but when he does have time to throw he needs to get rid of it, and actually make an accurate pass. This crap of taking sacks when he could run the ball is just not going to work. It seems as though he is going backwards instead of getting better. 4th year junior should know better or be better.
Cant blame it on towels. we had lots of dropped passes. One big one was on the first drive he threw a perfect ball to the endzone and hit the receiver in the chest then dropped. If UK would have scored on the last drive everyone would be talking about how great he is. Barker is a coward, none of his team mates like him. hes been in and out of trouble since hes been at UK and shouldn't even be on the team right now.
ROCKSOLID69 Wrote:Cant blame it on towels. we had lots of dropped passes. One big one was on the first drive he threw a perfect ball to the endzone and hit the receiver in the chest then dropped. If UK would have scored on the last drive everyone would be talking about how great he is. Barker is a coward, none of his team mates like him. hes been in and out of trouble since hes been at UK and shouldn't even be on the team right now.
Can't blame it on Towles? He's 50% over the last 7 games, has as many interceptions as he does TD's. As a 4th year junior he's horrible. As for Barker, it's funny that according to the coaches he and Towles was neck and neck in practice for the starting spot, now all of a sudden he isn't ready or he's trash? So I wonder which it is or is it that Towles papaw's money is keeping him in the game? He's no SEC QB is that simple, look at his stats, look how he panics in the pocket, he's playing scared. UK will never go to the next level with him. I'm not saying Barker is the answer but after mizzou scares towles a little more then I think you will see more of Barker to see what he has against EKU.
Demarcus ware Wrote:Can't blame it on Towles? He's 50% over the last 7 games, has as many interceptions as he does TD's. As a 4th year junior he's horrible. As for Barker, it's funny that according to the coaches he and Towles was neck and neck in practice for the starting spot, now all of a sudden he isn't ready or he's trash? So I wonder which it is or is it that Towles papaw's money is keeping him in the game? He's no SEC QB is that simple, look at his stats, look how he panics in the pocket, he's playing scared. UK will never go to the next level with him. I'm not saying Barker is the answer but after mizzou scares towles a little more then I think you will see more of Barker to see what he has against EKU.
Tell it like it is Demarcus! I agree completely!
Saw a stat where his career stats- 18 TDs, 14 ints. He's simply not very good.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:You cant ask a fan base to get behind you, ask them to come to games and sell them out like they did Saturday, and ask them for complete support than show up and do what the coaches did Saturday. That play calling was something else. I literally have never seen a coach call so many inside draws. Especially when our o line sucks as bad as it does.

Three years ago I said on here everyday we should have went after the Kuntz kid at Simon Kenton. Saturday would have been a win had we went that direction...

They weren't all "draw" plays several were inside zone and power plays that they just got whipped up front on. I didn't have a problem with these calls because in big time football games when the defense gives you an advantage in the box you have to execute and run against it. My only problem from coaching staff was no adjustments in protection to keep an already struggling Towles a little more protected. Thought that out of some of their run sets they could have had an extra guy in protection and thrown against man coverage (much like they did against South Carolina).
Brooks4Prez Wrote:They weren't all "draw" plays several were inside zone and power plays that they just got whipped up front on. I didn't have a problem with these calls because in big time football games when the defense gives you an advantage in the box you have to execute and run against it. My only problem from coaching staff was no adjustments in protection to keep an already struggling Towles a little more protected. Thought that out of some of their run sets they could have had an extra guy in protection and thrown against man coverage (much like they did against South Carolina).

Draw, Reads, Designed runs, it doesn't matter. We kept running it up the middle while getting our asses kicked. That obviously wasn't going to work. I know why Stoops is recruiting the o line heavy. The one we have is softer than charmin 2 ply.
Demarcus ware Wrote:Can't blame it on Towles? He's 50% over the last 7 games, has as many interceptions as he does TD's. As a 4th year junior he's horrible. As for Barker, it's funny that according to the coaches he and Towles was neck and neck in practice for the starting spot, now all of a sudden he isn't ready or he's trash? So I wonder which it is or is it that Towles papaw's money is keeping him in the game? He's no SEC QB is that simple, look at his stats, look how he panics in the pocket, he's playing scared. UK will never go to the next level with him. I'm not saying Barker is the answer but after mizzou scares towles a little more then I think you will see more of Barker to see what he has against EKU.

Barker is not the answer....That is for certain. And obviously Phillips isn't.
If Towles screws up again, I say we put Boom back there and just let him run.
Oh hell GUT, Barker may not be the answer but then again who knows. We've never seen him in a game time situation. He may come out and actually run an air raid, and not a run raid. Towles can hit the deep balls but he can't hit crap short to intermediate pass. If Barker can't do any of that then why didn't we let him go to South Carolina. Why recruit someone that can't even play. He's probably not the answer but will never know till we see.