Poll: Would you want a women coaching your High School team?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
36.36%
No
63.64%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coaches
Are their any women coaching in Kentucky. Arizona Cardinals have an assistant coaching LBs during preseason. She has coached and played in the Arena League. Reminded me of the movie Wildcats from the 80s.
She was an intern not a paid coach. No, I'm not a sexist BUT think about how many qualified males with a strong college coaching background were passed over for a once in a lifetime opportunity to coach in the NFL. Heck, there are many HIGH SCHOOL coaches with a more extensive coaching resume that would kill for that opportunity. And no, don't compare this to Jackie Robinson. Jackie earned the right to play baseball and deserved the opportunity. It was not handed to him so he could just break the color barrier.

The era of political correctness sickens me. There are only two routes to coach in the NFL. You either played in the NFL or you coached college football. No one else has gotten there any other way. Except her. That is a joke. This is just a PR move by the NFL to draw attention away from the Ray Rice garbage. I'm not anti female coach but do it the way everyone else has. The "Grind" she talks about with Katie Couric is not pre-season camp with the Cardinals. The real "GRIND" is being a GA for a year. Then coaching offensive line a Southeastern State no-one-has-heard-of for 4 years. Then moving up to a larger school if your are lucky and finding a good head coach to work with for 9 years, who knows a guy who coaches special teams for the Falcons.........and so on.
Good post. Im betting their are some females who can coach at the high school level. Wonder if their are any coaching in Kentucky.
I just don't see how you can be a good coach of a sport you can't or didn't play. Sorry just how I feel.
64black&gold Wrote:I just don't see how you can be a good coach of a sport you can't or didn't play. Sorry just how I feel.

Tell that to Hugh Freeze, Mike Leach, Sonny Dykes, Tom Coughlin, Steelers DC Todd Haley. Rex and Ron Ryan would of been NFL Coaches if theyd never of played a down of football, same with Lane Kiffin. If you're around the game all your life and learn schemes, you can go without playing the game.
ghostofjoey Wrote:she was an intern not a paid coach. No, i'm not a sexist but think about how many qualified males with a strong college coaching background were passed over for a once in a lifetime opportunity to coach in the nfl. Heck, there are many high school coaches with a more extensive coaching resume that would kill for that opportunity. And no, don't compare this to jackie robinson. Jackie earned the right to play baseball and deserved the opportunity. It was not handed to him so he could just break the color barrier.

The era of political correctness sickens me. There are only two routes to coach in the nfl. You either played in the nfl or you coached college football. No one else has gotten there any other way. Except her. That is a joke. This is just a pr move by the nfl to draw attention away from the ray rice garbage. I'm not anti female coach but do it the way everyone else has. The "grind" she talks about with katie couric is not pre-season camp with the cardinals. The real "grind" is being a ga for a year. Then coaching offensive line a southeastern state no-one-has-heard-of for 4 years. Then moving up to a larger school if your are lucky and finding a good head coach to work with for 9 years, who knows a guy who coaches special teams for the falcons.........and so on.

i can't believe in a male dominated profession they dare let a women intern for one summer!! What's this world coming to?!?!?!?
A women?
Being a woman had nothing to do with it. She didn't earn the right to be there.
If you're not aware, just like in business, coaching is all about who you know, networking, etc. There are plenty of coaches who haven't earned the right to be "there". I mentioned Lane Kiffin, people say he's held on to his dad's coat tails, failed upward. If it wasn't for his dad being a NFL defensive guru, is Lane Kiffin the OC at Alabama right now? Many think he hasn't "earned" the right to be there.
I hate Lane Kiffin, but he is a good coach.
Lane did benefit from who is dad is but this is not uncommon in the NFL, look at the Ryans. The issue is he still had to climb the ranks. There are some women in NFL front offices that also have benefitted from who they know or are related to. I don't have major issues with that particularly if they are good at what they do. I just don't think Jenn Welter has proven she is good enough at what she does to have earned a shot at coaching in the NFL. JMHO.

Here is Kiffin's resume by the way. I'd be happy to compare it to Welter.

-played QB at Fresno
-coached at Fresno
GA'ed at Colorado St.
-Quality Control with Jax Jags (which means he broke film down)
-TE coach at USC
WR coach at USC
-OC at USC
-HC at Oakland (where he failed miserably)
HC at UT (repeat above)
HC at USC
OC at Alabama
My understanding she HAS been a coach previously. I don't know her resume, but the people interviewed said she had done a good job. Anyway, it's over now. As for the rest of the diatribe, what's your point? It's like that every year. Very competitive profession that is sometimes just near impossible to break into. I applaud that she got a shot as an intern. In the NFL you have to prove your worth because word spreads quick if players don't respect you.
EKU should hire her to coach then.
64black&gold Wrote:I just don't see how you can be a good coach of a sport you can't or didn't play. Sorry just how I feel.

She has coached and played in the Arena League.
Ghostofjoey Wrote:She was an intern not a paid coach. No, I'm not a sexist BUT think about how many qualified males with a strong college coaching background were passed over for a once in a lifetime opportunity to coach in the NFL. Heck, there are many HIGH SCHOOL coaches with a more extensive coaching resume that would kill for that opportunity. And no, don't compare this to Jackie Robinson. Jackie earned the right to play baseball and deserved the opportunity. It was not handed to him so he could just break the color barrier.

The era of political correctness sickens me. There are only two routes to coach in the NFL. You either played in the NFL or you coached college football. No one else has gotten there any other way. Except her. That is a joke. This is just a PR move by the NFL to draw attention away from the Ray Rice garbage. I'm not anti female coach but do it the way everyone else has. The "Grind" she talks about with Katie Couric is not pre-season camp with the Cardinals. The real "GRIND" is being a GA for a year. Then coaching offensive line a Southeastern State no-one-has-heard-of for 4 years. Then moving up to a larger school if your are lucky and finding a good head coach to work with for 9 years, who knows a guy who coaches special teams for the Falcons.........and so on.

They interviewed her references and decided differently.