Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top Ten 2a games of week ending 9-5-15
I am so excited about this week's slate of 2a games. This was such a great week that I'm certain I missed some that you all would like to see here. 2a is off the chart this week in games for the first time this season. I hope you all enjoy them and here we go:

1) #1 Mayfield 2a @ #4 Paducah-Tilghman 3a
We start this week off with the second longest rivalry in the state. These 2 teams always seem to be in the thick of things. Until this recent run by Mayfield, no one had won more than 7 games in a row in the ferocious rivalry. However, Mayfield is playing for the right to claim 10 in a row versus the Tornado. These games are almost always very close battles and it takes until the buzzer to determine who might win this one. Mayfield comes in at 2-0 and not having been scored on yet this young season. This however comes against 2 teams with no success yet this year. PT comes in in at 1-1 but has been very battle tested. They have taken on 2 of the top teams in 6a. There is a lot of similarities between these two teams, as they both feature somewhat smaller teams than most and have lots of speed to rely upon to make up the difference. There is also a huge contrast between the two. This as Mayfield relies upon the spread, shotgun formation with quick attacking offense. The Tornado however relies upon the old school Wing T with the clock controlling offense. The two also had successful seasons last year. PT finished up in the 3rd round of the playoffs with a 7-6 record after a slow start. Mayfield finished up last year with a 14-1 record and the 1a state title. You mention that one loss came to a 6a power in overtime. It will be a packed house and a rocking environment.

2) #10 Ballard 6a @ #1 DeSales 2a
You talk about another great one, here it is. This one does not have the rivalry factor of our top game but, features 2 very highly ranked teams. Ballard is the big school here and will look to assert themselves with their numbers. However, DeSales is not your normal small school roster as they field around 90 players themselves. There are many around the state figuring the big school to be at a slight disadvantage. Ballard comes into the game with a 1-1 record. They finished up last year in the semis with a record of 10-4. DeSales comes in at 2-0 on the season in games in which they have asserted themselves on bigger schools. They finished up last year at 14-1 and the 2a state champions. This place should be packed and rocking as well.

3) #6 Christian Academy of Lou 2a @ #4 Central 3a
In most weeks this would very much be considered a #1 game of the week. This one features 2 teams from schools with lots of respect in the football world. These two teams figure to be right in the thick of things this year as well. CAL comes into this one at 1-1 on the year. They finished up last year with a loss to the eventual 2a state champions at 10-2. Central enters this one in desperate need of a wing. They come in at 0-2 on the young season. They finished up last year as the 3a state runners up at 10-5. This game should go a long way in helping these two to get on the right track. This place should be rocking as well.

4) #2 Boyle County 3a @ #6 Danville 2a
This one is another great rivalry between two teams located about 1 mile from one another. This features 2 storied traditions as well. These two are responsible for naming the town, Title Town. This game is usually hotly contested as well. Last year Boyle won this matchup 24-7. Both teams are coming into this one with impressive starts at 2-0 each. They both had a great deal of success last year as well. Boyle finished up at 11-2 in 4a. Danville appeared to be revived last year as they finished up at 8-4. This place will be packed and rocking as well.

5) #4 Owensboro Catholic 2a @ #2 Owensboro 5a
Just when you thought the games would get weaker in order, here comes this one. This too is also a rivalry game between two teams from the same area. Both teams are very highly ranked in their perspective classifications. Both teams appear to have great offenses as well. OC comes into this contest at 1-1 on the year. Owensboro comes in at 2-0. They both had a great deal of success last year as well. OC finished up at 10-2 on the year. Owensboro finished up as the 4a state runners up at 12-3. Last year Owensboro won this game in a shootout at 50-34. I look for this year to be about the same. This place will be packed and jamming as well.

6) Graves County 5a @ #3 Murray 2a
This is another great game between 2 teams that have been having a recent history of success as well. This is a game that has been played on a regular basis around this time of the year for the past 4 years. This annual meeting is dead even now with Murray winning in 11 & 12 and Graves winning in 13 & 14. All of the games have been very close and somewhat low scoring affairs. Graves comes in at 1-1 on the early season. Murray comes in at 2-0. Graves took last years matchup by a score of 26-17. Graves finished 2014 as the 5a state runners up at 11-4. Murray finished up last year in the 2a semis at 9-5. This place will be packed as well, but there isn't a whole lot of room to pack in the old school stadium there in Murray. I wish I could be there to watch this one as well.

7) #1 Beechwood 1a @ Somerset 2a
This game features 2 storied programs with lots of respect around the state. Both have a very big following. This is the first meeting between the two that I can recall. Beechwood would appear to be the favorite in this one if you look at their last seasons, as Somerset went winless and the wood made it to the semis at 11-3. Both teams come into this one undefeated on the early season. Somerset has revived to the point that they are on the cusp of breaking into the top ten. This should be a great game and a packed house as well.

8) Green County 2a @ #8 Lexington Christian Academy
This game features 2 teams that figure to have something to say about their perspective classifications as well. Green has not yet cracked the top ten but, they come into this matchup at 2-0. LCA also comes in at a very impressive 2-0. Green did not finish too well in 2014 with a record of 2-8. LCA also did not have a winning record as they finished up at 6-6 on the year. LCA took this matchup in a rout last year at 55-16. I'm sure Green will be looking to correct that. I think this too could be a great game.

9) #4 Russellville 1a @ Butler County 2a
Wait just a minute. Don't blow this game off people. I'm telling you this could be a good one. We have the new leaders of 1a district 1 taking on what I think could be the sleeper team of 2a for the next 2 years. I know, I know, Butler Co, but it is true. This Butler Co team has juniors now that routed most teams enroute to the middle school state title just 3 years ago. They also took down a gamey Mayfield team 8-0 along the way that year. This team featured the tadem of Bright and Arnett that are flying high in Cardinalville this year. Russellville comes into theis contest at 2-0 and finished up last year at 9-4. Butler comes in also at 2-0 and finished up 2014 at 9-3. I think this is a game that many could miss as being such a great game. I think this is a great one to follow people.

10) Glasgow 2a @ Barren County 5a
We have another good contest here between a small school that is looking to return to their season of greatness by stepping out of their classification to find teams to test them. Glasgow has started off the young season at 1-1 and finished last year at 8-4. Barren County comes in at an impressive 2-0 and finished last year at 4-7. Barren took this contest last year by a score of 14-11. I think this too will be a great matchup.

Well, fellas, there you are. I hope you enjoy. Study it and let me know what you think.
2A is loaded in big games this week. Thanks again :wieghts::wieghts::wieghts:
Ranking are now out ...might need to correct them lol..
Nice slate of games in 2A this week.
The rankings are correct according to BGR.
Could be plenty of shuffling in the rankings after this week or things could pretty much stay the same. Either way, it'll tell us a lot and start shaping up where the rankings will be much more accurate..
Things certainly should start shaping up a little more clearly.
Agreed they r correct to bgr... but unfortunately bgr rankings are not the ones the state goes by...lol
Well if wpsd will start posting the ap polls on Mondays now, I will try to wait til Tue so I can use their rankings.