Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Johnson Central 28 Cabell-Midland,WV 21 (Scrimmage)
final
Thoughts?

Was this a surprise to be this close?
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Thoughts?

This was just a final score I saw on twitter. Maybe some Johnson Central faithful can give details?
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Thoughts?

Only in the sense JC has beat them throughly in past years.

Cabell Midland was one of the Top 5 overall teams in WV and played Capital as close as anyone. The team who beat CM, Huntington High, was the only other team to challenge Capital... CM and Huntington split the season series.

CM returns 7 starters each way including the best player in WV, the Donahue kid who is going to WVU. They also return their two best offensive playmakers.

IMHO, I expect CM to definitely be another Top 5 overall team in WV and possibly end up being the 3A Champs.

For reference..Cabell Midland is the largest school in the state and would be one of the largest schools in KY.
FWIW,

Belfry plays CM in the regular season...so should be interesting to see how all three teams fare.
^
Thanks for the heads up.
My knowledge on West Virginia football is very limited.

From the sounds of it, theres a big difference in the level of competition.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:FWIW,

Belfry plays CM in the regular season...so should be interesting to see how all three teams fare.

I would like to see that one.
If it wasn't such a horribly long drive for me, id probably go.
Belfry fans should be excited about that one.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
Thanks for the heads up.
My knowledge on West Virginia football is very limited.

From the sounds of it, theres a big difference in the level of competition.

Definitely.

Typically the state has 5 or 6 teams who are very strong.. but then the drop off is steep.

WV's better big schools, such as CM, are equal to most Kentucky 6A and 5A Top Schools not named Trinity, X, and Male.

Compare Cabell Midland to somewhere between Scott County and Simon Kenton.

Last year's Capital team who won the title was between Henry Clay and Male... not as good as Male..but better than like a McCracken County.

In other words this CM team is essentially a Top 5-8 6A team in KY.. most years they are more in the 12-15 range I would say.
The score is not an accurate representation of the game...

The first three to four series was a 10 Down or so set.
Then we had some ten minute quarters of game play.

Take the score as just a number.....
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Hard to judge this game....

JC didn't show anything new. Running the football, good special teams and solid defense.

Cabell Midland is going to be a DANGEROUS team when their passing game comes together. A few times tonight their receivers dropped wide open passes for what would have been huge gains or touchdowns.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Definitely.

Typically the state has 5 or 6 teams who are very strong.. but then the drop off is steep.

WV's better big schools, such as CM, are equal to most Kentucky 6A and 5A Top Schools not named Trinity, X, and Male.

Compare Cabell Midland to somewhere between Scott County and Simon Kenton.

Last year's Capital team who won the title was between Henry Clay and Male... not as good as Male..but better than like a McCracken County.

In other words this CM team is essentially a Top 5-8 6A team in KY.. most years they are more in the 12-15 range I would say.

You have a lot more respect for the top tier teams in West Virginia than I do.
MaxPreps shows Midland ranked higher in the national rank. So Midland should deserve some respect!!
I watched this game, CM scored one long TD during the first ten plays. If it was a real game it would have been a turnover on downs. It took them 6 plays to get 7 or 8 yards. CM also scored at the end of the end with some subs in for JC. CM could not stop the ground game of JC and when JC decided to throw the ball they were very successful. I believe they had two TDs passes over 40 yards. JC is 3 TDs better than MC in an actual game. Looks like good thing are going to happen down in Johnson County
I Just don't like these 10 plays and out games. :popcorn:
baller55 Wrote:MaxPreps shows Midland ranked higher in the national rank. So Midland should deserve some respect!!

Yeah, we all know they are never wrong.
I know quite a bit about WV football because I live right on the border. EKU is right, you have about 5 or 6 good teams then a huge drop off. Below are probably the better teams. WV only has A, AA and AAA.

Capital
Martinsburg
Cabell Midland
Huntington High
South Charleston
Wayne

2nd tier
Matewan
Buffalo
Bluefield
George Washington
Parkersburg

This is the main WV teams who win on a consistent basis. Some may not know this but the Cabell Midland coach was the head coach of the Lawrence County Bulldogs for a few years. He was the one that took us from like 0-10 in 2008 to 10-0 in 2009 and I think he got coach of the year or something. His name is Luke Salmons.
Do-double-gg Wrote:I know quite a bit about WV football because I live right on the border. EKU is right, you have about 5 or 6 good teams then a huge drop off. Below are probably the better teams. WV only has A, AA and AAA.

Capital
Martinsburg
Cabell Midland
Huntington High
South Charleston
Wayne

2nd tier
Matewan
Buffalo
Bluefield
George Washington
Parkersburg

This is the main WV teams who win on a consistent basis. Some may not know this but the Cabell Midland coach was the head coach of the Lawrence County Bulldogs for a few years. He was the one that took us from like 0-10 in 2008 to 10-0 in 2009 and I think he got coach of the year or something. His name is Luke Salmons.
Wheeling Central Catholic is usually pretty good. I think they belong with the wayne group.
Do-double-gg Wrote:I know quite a bit about WV football because I live right on the border. EKU is right, you have about 5 or 6 good teams then a huge drop off. Below are probably the better teams. WV only has A, AA and AAA.

Capital
Martinsburg
Cabell Midland
Huntington High
South Charleston
Wayne

2nd tier
Matewan
Buffalo
Bluefield
George Washington
Parkersburg

You realize that Matewan no longer exists...and hasn't existed in several years???? :Thumbs: Mingo Central is the new school.

I'm pretty confident that Morgantown and University high schools are very good, too. But I don't have a lot of knowledge about WV football as others do.....
LCHSbulldogsalum Wrote:You realize that Matewan no longer exists...and hasn't existed in several years???? :Thumbs: Mingo Central is the new school.

I'm pretty confident that Morgantown and University high schools are very good, too. But I don't have a lot of knowledge about WV football as others do.....

I listed all of those off the top of my head and I had no idea Matewan no longer exists. I haven't fallowed WV football much in a long time. I just got on the WV power rankings site and Morgantown is barely in the top 20 in 2014. You are right about University who I forgot about but they were no world beaters last season. My family hails from WV and that is where I grew up from birth to about 13 years old but thanks for the info.
:Thumbs:
Martinsburg WVA over close to DC is the powerhouse school in WVA.
Bridgeport is probably considered top 10 in WV no matter the class. Possibly the best overall school in the state.