Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2015 Mayfield Cardinals Preview
Alright fella's, we are about 1 month out now. I guess it's time for the previews to start. This is what I see for the Cardinals this year. The Cardinals were in a rebuilding year in 2014, which had to replace 4 starting offensive linemen, the quarterback, the running back and 2 starting receivers. The Cardinals did this and exceeded expectations of most by repeating as the 1a state champions.

While the task this year should not be as daunting, we have moved up a class in addition to what we have to replace this year. The Cardinals do have to replace 4 starting offensive linemen this year and 2 receivers. The Cardinals do return 8 of their starting 11 on defense from last season. This is a defense that allowed an average of 11 points per game last year. They also return 1 other player that was a starter until injured in the 2nd game of the season.

The Cardinals return their big leg kicker, in Sidney Herndon as well. Herndon handled all the kicking and punting duties this year. It appears that he could have some assistance with some of those duties this year.

The Cardinals return qb Landon Arnett. Arnett passed for over 2,000 yards in the 2014 season, with only 5 interceptions. They also return the speedster rb Trajon Bright. Bright rushed for over 1,900 yards in his soph season last year, with a new school record 33 touchdowns. This was all done with only 1 fumble. They also return power rb Johnny Hernandez, who scored 9 touchdowns of his own last year. They return WR Lane Kennemore as well. Kennemore was a 1,000 yard receiver himself last season. Kennemore accounted for 11 touchdowns of his own. The Cardinals return a sleeper at wr in Michael Walker. Walker accounted for 4 touchdowns of his own last year. The really overlooked player could be WR/CB Colby Tucker. Tucker was the fastest receiver on the field for the first 1.5 games of the 2014 season, which for him was ended due to injury.

The Cardinals have rolled off a record of 84-6 over the past 6 seasons. They have made it to the finals in each of those six seasons and have won 4 of those titles. Another significant stat is the fact that the Cardinals have not lost at home since 2008. This could be very significant considering that it is the east comes west this year in the playoffs.

On a side note, the Cardinals appear to be deeper in skill positions this year than any year that I have witnessed. This could pay off in resting players and also in the case of any injuries.

The schedule will be tough this year, as is expected by Mayfield faithful. The addition to that this year though is the much tougher district and playoff portions of their season. This is what the Cardinals will face this year:

Fort Campbell away 3a last season 3-8
Marshall County away 5a last season 2-9
Paducah Tilghman away 3a last season 7-6, district champions
McCracken County home 6a last season 9-2, district champions
Graves County home 5a last season 11-4, state runners up
Corbin away 3a last season 11-2, regional finals
Murray home 2a last season 9-5, semi finals
Ballard Memorial home 2a last season 9-3
Webster County home 2a last season 1-10
Caldwell County away 3a last season 11-2, district champions

Then you top that off with their region also consisting of Owensboro Catholic come playoff time. Add to that, the fact that you have both CAL and DeSales in the same side for semis, if the Cards make it there again. This looks to be a great season for the Cards.
mysonis55 Wrote:Alright fella's, we are about 1 month out now. I guess it's time for the previews to start. This is what I see for the Cardinals this year. The Cardinals were in a rebuilding year in 2014, which had to replace 4 starting offensive linemen, the quarterback, the running back and 2 starting receivers. The Cardinals did this and exceeded expectations of most by repeating as the 1a state champions.

While the task this year should not be as daunting, we have moved up a class in addition to what we have to replace this year. The Cardinals do have to replace 4 starting offensive linemen this year and 2 receivers. The Cardinals do return 8 of their starting 11 on defense from last season. This is a defense that allowed an average of 11 points per game last year. They also return 1 other player that was a starter until injured in the 2nd game of the season.

The Cardinals return their big leg kicker, in Sidney Herndon as well. Herndon handled all the kicking and punting duties this year. It appears that he could have some assistance with some of those duties this year.

The Cardinals return qb Landon Arnett. Arnett passed for over 2,000 yards in the 2014 season, with only 5 interceptions. They also return the speedster rb Trajon Bright. Bright rushed for over 1,900 yards in his soph season last year, with a new school record 33 touchdowns. This was all done with only 1 fumble. They also return power rb Johnny Hernandez, who scored 9 touchdowns of his own last year. They return WR Lane Kennemore as well. Kennemore was a 1,000 yard receiver himself last season. Kennemore accounted for 11 touchdowns of his own. The Cardinals return a sleeper at wr in Michael Walker. Walker accounted for 4 touchdowns of his own last year. The really overlooked player could be WR/CB Colby Tucker. Tucker was the fastest receiver on the field for the first 1.5 games of the 2014 season, which for him was ended due to injury.

The Cardinals have rolled off a record of 84-6 over the past 6 seasons. They have made it to the finals in each of those six seasons and have won 4 of those titles. Another significant stat is the fact that the Cardinals have not lost at home since 2008. This could be very significant considering that it is the east comes west this year in the playoffs.

On a side note, the Cardinals appear to be deeper in skill positions this year than any year that I have witnessed. This could pay off in resting players and also in the case of any injuries.

The schedule will be tough this year, as is expected by Mayfield faithful. The addition to that this year though is the much tougher district and playoff portions of their season. This is what the Cardinals will face this year:

Fort Campbell away 3a last season 3-8
Marshall County away 5a last season 2-9
Paducah Tilghman away 3a last season 7-6, district champions
McCracken County home 6a last season 9-2, district champions
Graves County home 5a last season 11-4, state runners up
Corbin away 3a last season 11-2, regional finals
Murray home 2a last season 9-5, semi finals
Ballard Memorial home 2a last season 9-3
Webster County home 2a last season 1-10
Caldwell County away 3a last season 11-2, district champions

Then you top that off with their region also consisting of Owensboro Catholic come playoff time. Add to that, the fact that you have both CAL and DeSales in the same side for semis, if the Cards make it there again. This looks to be a great season for the Cards.

You still have four cupcakes on the schedule though including the first three. then it toughens up and prepares them for a run in 2A playoffs
Fort Campbell is not accustomed to being a cupcake for long. They may be a little better this year. Also I expect Marshall County to be a bit better this year. They have inherited a Morris brother for a coach. Look for some improvements.
mysonis55 Wrote:Fort Campbell is not accustomed to being a cupcake for long. They may be a little better this year. Also I expect Marshall County to be a bit better this year. They have inherited a Morris brother for a coach. Look for some improvements.

I expected you to pump Fort Campbell and Tilghman up Confusednicker:
Mayfield adapt well to Cupcakes and bigger teams. I know for a fact :Sad04:
You have another chance this year 64.
Who are the expected starters on the OL this year? Grade, size, etc..
Center at this point is Trevor Terrell. He is soph and goes about 5'10 190

Gaurds at this point are Leo Doran soph about 6'1" 240 and Devon Jeffries 6' 240 soph

Tackles at this point are Charles Jackson senior about 6' and 220 as well as Brintley Adams 5' 9" and 230.

On Defense it looks like Johnny Hernandez 6'00" and 240. The ends are Davis Mills about 5'11" 195 senior and Charles Jackson.
if u ever consider Tilghman a cupcake most of the time you would be wrong.
Even on a bad year they go to regionals.
mysonis55 Wrote:Center at this point is Trevor Terrell. He is soph and goes about 5'10 190

Gaurds at this point are Leo Doran soph about 6'1" 240 and Devon Jeffries 6' 240 soph

Tackles at this point are Charles Jackson senior about 6' and 220 as well as Brintley Adams 5' 9" and 230.

On Defense it looks like Johnny Hernandez 6'00" and 240. The ends are Davis Mills about 5'11" 195 senior and Charles Jackson.

3 sophs in the middle of that OL scares me a little for the upcoming season, but, bodes well for the next couple of years.. The guards sound like they have some girth at 240 each, but, there's not much height on any of these guys.

Did Jackson or Adams, either one, start last year on the OL?

Has any kids from Graves or any other place transferred in to Mayfild this year, that looks like they could possibly contribute?
Jackson started or was a role player last year on the line. Adams and the 3 sophomores did not start varsity last year. They however did start for the jv, who was pretty dominant. They also played in probably 6 or 7 varsity games last year. This is a strength of the Mayfield coaching staff so, I don't look for them to miss a beat. We were having the same doubts last year before season started. None of these guys are as small as the 2 Dunn boys that started on the line last year. Besides not having that one huge player that was Carmen, we are bigger on the line this year.
barnabus_c2001 Wrote:if u ever consider Tilghman a cupcake most of the time you would be wrong.

Tilghman is an overrated cupcake most years in recent history.
pjdoug Wrote:Tilghman is an overrated cupcake most years in recent history.

And most years in recent history they was still better than your Whitley County team.
Anyone know when Mayfield Scrimmage is. Im pretty sure its still against Milan TN, and in Milan this year. Is it on the 7th or 14th, and what time.
It is in Milan on the 7th. It is almost here.
mysonis55 Wrote:It is in Milan on the 7th. It is almost here.

What time I may finally have a day off then.
If memory serves me correctly, they try to do it right around 6p.
killbilly usmc Wrote:And most years in recent history they was still better than your Whitley County team.

thats debatable but bot have been cupcakes.
Cupcakes???? Seriously????

2009 state champs
2010 semis and lost to Central by less than Belfry did
2011 regionals and only lost by 3
2012 8-4 and lost in 2nd round by 8 points
2013 semis
2014 regionals with new coach and low numbers

I would not call that a cup cake.
Mayfield get in sleeper player this year transferring in from surrounding neighboring schools. :popcorn:
mysonis55 Wrote:Cupcakes???? Seriously????

2009 state champs
2010 semis and lost to Central by less than Belfry did
2011 regionals and only lost by 3
2012 8-4 and lost in 2nd round by 8 points
2013 semis
2014 regionals with new coach and low numbers

I would not call that a cup cake.

mediocre at best.
64SUR Wrote:Mayfield get in sleeper player this year transferring in from surrounding neighboring schools. :popcorn:

and surrounding states and countries Confusednicker:
64, I'm shocked. We never get any transfers in. All homegrown boys.
mysonis55 Wrote:64, I'm shocked. We never get any transfers in. All homegrown boys.

:biglmao:
mysonis55 Wrote:64, I'm shocked. We never get any transfers in. All homegrown boys.

And the homegrown boys still beat the Williamsburg/Corbin/Whitley County/Harlan County all star team for the title last year. Ten seconds till topnotch gets butthurt, and granny bear shows her eastern bias, and sticks her nose into this, and I get banned again for giving it right back to the eastern folks when they started it with another stab about transfers.:biglmao:
killbilly usmc Wrote:And the homegrown boys still beat the Williamsburg/Corbin/Whitley County/Harlan County all star team for the title last year. Ten seconds till topnotch gets butthurt, and granny bear shows her eastern bias, and sticks her nose into this, and I get banned again for giving it right back to the eastern folks when they started it with another stab about transfers.:biglmao:

sorry if i offended anyone asking about any transfers. Confusedhh:Confusedhh: I want ask again butthurt billybob. :igiveup:
pjdoug Wrote:mediocre at best.

:biglmao:
64SUR Wrote:sorry if i offended anyone asking about any transfers. Confusedhh:Confusedhh: I want ask again butthurt billybob. :igiveup:

Not butthurt, but you will be once Mayfield runs through Corbin like fear through the French army. Oh 55 where are you need a tag team partner when the easterners all start circling the wagon. Any new news 55, im curious about this secret stuff you wont tell on here shoot me a pm, maybe Mayfield has got a transfer from Harlan County this year.
I will give you a tidbit. I won't say which coach, so don't ask. I spoke with a MHS football coach today. I asked him to compare our team from last year to this years team. I asked him would he say we were worse or as good this year as to what we were last year at this point. He said he thinks we are better. He said the line looks great.