Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
14th region favorite 2015-16
1. Knott Co.
Can anyone else in 14th compete with them.
Powell County will be good. They return a lot, so does Owsley. Those two will be competing for the 56th district title.

Should be an interesting year.
Knott will be head and shoulders above everyone in the 14th next yr.
Stuartscott Wrote:Knott will be head and shoulders above everyone in the 14th next yr.

For the next couple years or 3 they should be good. Those 7th-10 graders become 8th-11th graders. That is if everyone stays?
Powell returns 2 starters from the 14th region runner up team from last year and 7 seniors. Plus they host the dist and regional tournament. Plus they have 2 of the top 10 players in the region plus 2 transfers. I like Powell based on this. The only thing holding them back is the coach
rainman Wrote:Powell returns 2 starters from the 14th region runner up team from last year and 7 seniors. Plus they host the dist and regional tournament. Plus they have 2 of the top 10 players in the region plus 2 transfers. I like Powell based on this. The only thing holding them back is the coach
Powell has 6 upcoming seniors They had one Senior that left and she was rarely allowed on the court. And they have no transfers at all. And another thing, the Coach isn't holding them back. Several think that but that's not how it goes. They need to play more as a team. They will learn that. They will do great things this year.
Also don't count out Jackson City. They only lost 2. Breathitt still has Cox once she comes back as well as bates. Powell is gonna grow also. They lost Estep. And Owsley still has Gibson. Those 4 teams, as well as KCC will grow greatly! And also be top 5 in the region.
Even with graduation losses, I still like Leslie and Letcher's chances when it comes to being in the top five. Just because a good team loses three or four starters doesn't mean their second unit couldn't have defeated many of the teams below them.
I'd be surprised if Powell, Jackson and Owsley are all in the top five - maybe one of them.
One would have to put Powell in the Top 5 with Peck, Lindon, & Branham returning. JC and Owsley both had good seasons and are returning some talented players, would have to be in top 10 of region. Don' count out Jenkins making some noise with Creech returning.
Jenkins definitely a darkhorse, anytime you have Creech you have a shot.
[Image:

]

Jada will be driving us to a regional title. Mashayla is in "Rocky" style training this off season. Thornsberry is a gamer. Plus, our two transfers are looming closer and closer to our program. Having another big and a shooting guard with Jada running the squad will be lethal. It will be tater time in Knott all season long. It's Friday and I am missing some Lady Pats basketball.

More mash taters please!
Breathitt will have Cox and Bates. KCC in my opinion is favorite to win this region. Jackson City is gonna be a decent ball club. Powell will be pretty good. Leslie don't know what they lost but they were pretty good the last couple of seasons. But KCC is loaded with talent. Gonna be a hard team to beat.
Owsley has a lot of tall players in Gibson, McIntosh, and Duff, but they lost their pg Bennett to graduation and I'm not sure they can replace her skills. Height is great but someone has to be able to get the ball down floor against the press and get the ball to their interior strengths.
I agree.
4 different teams could win 14th next yr
sports fan00 Wrote:4 different teams could win 14th next yr

I like your optimism. However, Jada only plays for the Lady Patriots. Wowza!!!

This is how hard Jada is working in the off season. When Jada goes for her daily run, the girl on the bike has to catch her. Double Wowza!!!

[Image:

]

More mash taters please!
[Image:

]

Adding a big with Higgins running the show. It's on like a cooker of boiled taters!

More mash taters please!
[Image:

]

More mash taters please!
[Image:

]

More mash taters please!
[Image:

]

Fatpat enjoying a little water time after working in my garden. Lady Pats be rollin!!!!!

More mash taters please!
[Image:

]

Yep, we go about 10 deep this year. It will be like stopping a loaded tater truck going down jones fork mountain. Looking for some quality minutes from our second platoon.

More mash taters please!
I saw Knott lose to Clay County and Harlan County at the Union camp. They probably should be the favorite in the 14th, but they aren't head and shoulders above the other favorites.
Leslie was the best team in the 14th last year and lost only one game against 14th Region competition, but it came at the worst time.
Coach Honeycutt subs 5 for 5 every five minutes in all summer games, giving all his players lots of playing time. Sure they will lose some games this summer, but will make them better this winter when it counts!
Yes, he had 10 in uniform the day I saw them, and he played them all a lot.
The more I think about it, I think Breathitt should be right there with Knott. They had a good group last year and have most of them back, including one who was hurt most of last season.
1. Knott County Central
2. Powell County
3. Breathitt County
4. Leslie County
5. Hazard
6. June Buchanan
7. Letcher Central
8. Jenkins
9. Jackson City
10. Owsley County
11. Perry County Central
12. Wolfe County
13. Lee County
14. Buckhorn
15. Estill County
16. Riverside
17. Cordia
I think you have 1,2,3,4, and then 5-11 is a toss up.
HCS Wrote:Yes, he had 10 in uniform the day I saw them, and he played them all a lot.
The more I think about it, I think Breathitt should be right there with Knott. They had a good group last year and have most of them back, including one who was hurt most of last season.

Knott beat them 22 last night, without Stamper and Higgins.......
Well, that decides it then. No reason to play the season Smile

I love summer basketball more than anyone, and I believe you can always get a good idea of who will be the contenders, but there's no way you can lock up anything in June.
Knott lost by 23 to Letcher last year, then takes them to overtime in the regional finals, so things do change.
I thought Leslie was by far the best team last year, 19-0, I think, against regional teams before losing to Knott.
You might not want to put such a big bullseye on Knott. They will be ranked No. 1 going into the year, but I don't think it's a lock.
Estill will be better than expected.
HCS Wrote:Well, that decides it then. No reason to play the season Smile

I love summer basketball more than anyone, and I believe you can always get a good idea of who will be the contenders, but there's no way you can lock up anything in June.
Knott lost by 23 to Letcher last year, then takes them to overtime in the regional finals, so things do change.
I thought Leslie was by far the best team last year, 19-0, I think, against regional teams before losing to Knott.
You might not want to put such a big bullseye on Knott. They will be ranked No. 1 going into the year, but I don't think it's a lock.

First of all I never put a bulls eye on Knott.... a simple reply that KCC beat Breathitt 22 last night (also beat Johnson Central by 9, both games at JC).... Knott has along way to go to be the team they are capable of being...Coach Honeycutt would tell you the same thing...Sorry we are not Experts like you! Go Lady Patriots!
Summer basketball is used by coaches for a multitude of different reasons. It should not be used as a total barometer of team or individual play. Though it is great for speculation for fan and spectator enjoyment. Coach Honeycutt will use it to help his team come November.