Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clay Co 66 Jackson Co 60
Wow....that's all I can say....great game from start to finish....both teams played their hearts out...
It was a great game......but overall Clay played one of their worst games I have seen and still won.
Something isn't right with Clay. Don't know what it is but something is going on. There was no offense run toward Smith tonight. Don't know why . And that trapping defense is horrible. A good team will eat them alive in that. They better get it fixed quick or they will get ran out of gym next week.
I guess Marcum used tonight to do some teaching. He played his JV team A LOT.
A win is a win.
Congrats to Clay on #1 seed in district!
We are CC!
Count Wrote:I guess Marcum used tonight to do some teaching. He played his JV team A LOT.
A win is a win.
I watched this game too, count. I don't see how anyone could say the jv team played a lot, marcum got mad and put them in for maybe 2 plays in the 2nd quarter.
Count Wrote:I guess Marcum used tonight to do some teaching. He played his JV team A LOT.
A win is a win.
I don't know what game you were watching, but Marcum pulled his starters off the floor for 30 seconds to chew them out, then put them right back in. The starters played over 95% of the game. They may have played poorly in your eyes, but that was largely in part to Jackson County's defense causing poor shooting and holding Smith to 8 points. Clay's a great team, but the 49th district is up for grabs this year. It's whoever gets hot at tournament time. Hammons had the move of the night too, making WYMT Sports Overtime's play of the night with an awesome spin move and off balance drive to the hoop for 2. Jackson lost the player of the year in the 13th last year(Jordan Fox), as well as their top defender(Seth Bingham), and Collier bailed for what he thought was greener grass, but they can still play with anybody. They proved that tonight.
Will Sexton was the best player on the floor tonight. Clay county played too much one on one and settled for bad shots. With that said jackson was very impressive playing with basically two players against clays 5. But they matched smith and wolfes atheletism and made it hard on them to get the easy buckets theyre accustomed to. Trey hit big shots late, but to me sexton was the man for the tigers tonight. Should be a very interesting district/region. Side note: refs stunk both ways.
I know Clay didn't play their best but how many minutes did Smith even play in the first half? Picked 2 fouls up early. Clay had 4 players in foul trouble by midway through the 3rd quarter. That can take some things away. It was low scoring, which I would credit some of that to Jackson. I've said before, "What's going to happen when Smith has an off night?" Well, tonight Farmer showed up in the 2nd Half. This team will be fine they just can't overlook anyone. Give Jackson County credit, they get out everything they have. Like someone said above, a win is a win. You all have to remember all these close games are coming on the road. That region tournament is at the Arena and the Tiger Nation shows up. Relax.
13th region hoops Wrote:I don't know what game you were watching, but Marcum pulled his starters off the floor for 30 seconds to chew them out, then put them right back in. The starters played over 95% of the game. They may have played poorly in your eyes, but that was largely in part to Jackson County's defense causing poor shooting and holding Smith to 8 points. Clay's a great team, but the 49th district is up for grabs this year. It's whoever gets hot at tournament time. Hammons had the move of the night too, making WYMT Sports Overtime's play of the night with an awesome spin move and off balance drive to the hoop for 2. Jackson lost the player of the year in the 13th last year(Jordan Fox), as well as their top defender(Seth Bingham), and Collier bailed for what he thought was greener grass, but they can still play with anybody. They proved that tonight.

Holding Smith to 8 pts. The only person that held Smith to 8 pts was MARCUM!!!!!!!!!!! He only had 4 shot attempts and Marcum pulled him after one of them. Just like i said every play in the 2nd half was run for someone other than him. He brought it up and passed it and it never touched his hands again. It had absolutley nothing to do with JACKSONS Defense. JACKSON ant getting out of this district, CLAY beat you tonight with SMITH not getting any touches. I will say this CLAY WILL NOT GET OUT OF THIS REGION WITH SMITH NOT GETTING THE BALL, PLAIN AND SIMPLE.
StormTrooper Wrote:Will Sexton was the best player on the floor tonight. Clay county played too much one on one and settled for bad shots. With that said jackson was very impressive playing with basically two players against clays 5. But they matched smith and wolfes atheletism and made it hard on them to get the easy buckets theyre accustomed to. Trey hit big shots late, but to me sexton was the man for the tigers tonight. Should be a very interesting district/region. Side note: refs stunk both ways.

Sexton did play well tonight and he played hard, but if this team is gonna make a serious run, then the Offense must run through Smith and Farmer. Anyone who thinks other wise is a fool.
I wasn't at the game tonight, I went to watch Colliers debut, But after reading some of this and seeing that Smith had 4 shot attempts its shocking to me. That kid dominated against NL the other night. Maybe the coach jsut trying to keep other players or other players parents happy. I can tell you one thing, clay better get there minds right because them jags and Collier looked awlfully good tonight. Im calling it right now NL will win this district. Never really thought CC had a problem with there pecking order, maybe this was just a fluke.
I thought Marcum was trying to lose the game, Smith and House have played all year with 2 fouls in the first half and he sits them the entire 2nd quarter. And i agree with the selfish play. Blows my mind how this team can look so good one game and like a CYC team the next. And i do agree with BA this team doesnt get out of this region with Smith getting the fewest shots of the starting 5. He doesnt have to have the most but he has to be a part of the offense and he wasnt tonight. Very disappointed in the teams effort and the coaching effort tonight. It wouldnt shock me at all to see this team lose the next 3 games.
Well Jackson is better than you think, Clay Co. was just better I think Clay is hitting on all cylinders nice win.
North finally wins a game by 2 @ home and now they are going to win the district.....TO FUNNY
You have lost your mind Randy
Man, I thought Clay won? Reading all these posts you'd think they lost. Got a win in a tough environment with Smith in foul trouble and, in my opinion, still recovering from the bout of sickness he had. Take it for what it is, a road win against a district rival.
^^^
100% correct Walter. We won and will keep winning. We are CC.
I think Randy may have a good point. Clay County has played North Laurel twice. They've prevailed twice, but they were two outstanding games that went down to the wire. Clay hasn't played North Laurel with Collier. I'm not saying that North having Collier will give them the win over Clay, but it does make it interesting. If they get the 3 seed on their home court and play Clay County in the title game that place will be rocking. North has the size, which gives Clay County problems. I'm not saying North Laurel will win, but I'm not going to say that they can't or won't win either. I wouldn't be shocked to see North Laurel win the 49th.
This was a nice win for clay but to say they are like a CYC team is real funny they could not beat half the CYC men's team's back in the day so now we can really see what clay can do the next few game with some good team's I think they lose the next four games I may be wrong but anyway what are you clay fan's going to talk about when Robert step down after farmer smith & wolf leave clay won't be in the top 5 of this region oh well I guess.....I am a clay fan but you all put this team up with the old clay team's they ain't even close to them.
This ain't the prison and this ain't cyc. Parents let the boys play and sit up in the stands a cheer. Whining over sons shots is getting old with everyone who is for clay co. Team game and Clay won under tough atmosphere.
topnotch Wrote:Well Jackson is better than you think, Clay Co. was just better I think Clay is hitting on all cylinders nice win.

Gotta disagree...Jackson has two players and they are only as good as those two. If Clay was hitting on all cylinders tonight we're in trouble. Sexton plays with his usual toughness plus scores some points. Farmer snaps out of it in the second half and scores 22 or this game ends in a loss for Clay. Jackson spread the floor and slowed it down and Clay almost totally fell for it. Marcum FINALLY got em to back off to force some outside shots when we got a six point lead. In my opinion (other than getting the W) it was not a well played game by Clay.

Clay has a knack for doing what it takes in the last quarter to win and that's huge.
BrokenArrow Wrote:Holding Smith to 8 pts. The only person that held Smith to 8 pts was MARCUM!!!!!!!!!!! He only had 4 shot attempts and Marcum pulled him after one of them. Just like i said every play in the 2nd half was run for someone other than him. He brought it up and passed it and it never touched his hands again. It had absolutley nothing to do with JACKSONS Defense. JACKSON ant getting out of this district, CLAY beat you tonight with SMITH not getting any touches. I will say this CLAY WILL NOT GET OUT OF THIS REGION WITH SMITH NOT GETTING THE BALL, PLAIN AND SIMPLE.
Why does everyone get so tore up if Smith has a bad game? There is four more boys on that team that can score. All the games that Smith took all the shots and no one else got a look ? There is 5 that starts it is a team. So if one kid has a bad night that don't mean the coach is crazy that just means the other kids have a chance to score. Why are you so upset Clay won. It's about winning !!! Not about who has the most points every game Let's all be friend and let the coach do his job and let the boys play. At the end of the day they are all friends......When Farmer , Wolfe , Smith, House, Sexton, or Gabbard has a good game lets give them credit.. We are CC :Cheerlead
North only beat Whitley County by 2 without arguably one of Whitley's best players. IMO North's problem is they are the most out of shape team I have seen. Run them up and down the floor a few minutes and they can't go on. I noticed the coach kept taking the best players out to rest because you could tell they were barely making it. In the first quarter, sweat was pouring off all the Jaguars, and Whitley was calm and cool. North's team could be unreal. They are going to have to work on conditioning. May be too late for this year. If a coach picks up on that, they are easy to beat. I would say that is the reason they have only won 7 games. A conditioned North Laurel team would be unbeatable. I think that is why they can't keep a lead.
I was not at the game but some of you all are making it sound like we are on a 5 game losing streak. If Blake didn't get any attempts, that won't happen the rest of the season. It was one game!!!! He had 25 three nights before. Clay County is the best team in the region but doesn't mean you kill every team you play. Some of you think this is the 80's where Clay waxed almost anybody they played. You just won a game on the road with your best player having few attempts. That will not happen again with Smith. I see nothing to panic about. You're still winning on the road and as SkinnyPig said finding ways to win, that matters. If Jackson would have beaten us by 20, then you worry. Smith will not be "kept" (not held) to 4 attempts every again.
My opinion on Clay Co is every team has figured out Smith...if you keep him from getting to the rim or pulling up in the paint he has a hard time scoring. ..he is not a very good shooter at all ...he will hit a few but not enough to beat you from out of the paint.......fact of the matter is that FARMER AND WOLFE are the men for BIG CLAY to win the region......hard to stop farmer from anywhere on the floor and Wolfe is just a hard nose player .......if smith ant dunking or scoring he don't even show up on stats
bballfan20 Wrote:My opinion on Clay Co is every team has figured out Smith...if you keep him from getting to the rim or pulling up in the paint he has a hard time scoring. ..he is not a very good shooter at all ...he will hit a few but not enough to beat you from out of the paint.......fact of the matter is that FARMER AND WOLFE are the men for BIG CLAY to win the region......hard to stop farmer from anywhere on the floor and Wolfe is just a hard nose player .......if smith ant dunking or scoring he don't even show up on stats

I was with you in saying that teams have figured out Smith, that is very true. That's why it is crucial for Farmer to bring it every night. However, to say Smith doesn't show up in the stat sheet otherwise is ludicrous. He gets about 5 rebounds per game as a point guard, the teams leading shot blocker, tons of steals, and the best defender in the 13th region. It isn't all about offense. Clay just won a somewhat low scoring game were he was a non-factor on the offensive end. Teams have two choices, pack it in and let Farmer or House try to beat you from outside or play up and take a chance at Smith getting in the lane. Sounds simple, but it's not IF Trey comes to play. You can't stop them both if they show up. While you're trying to do that, a guy like Sexton, House, or Wolfe will put 12-14 on you.
Smith is barely a week past having walking pneumonia. Pretty rough critiques, considering the facts.
walterwhite Wrote:Smith is barely a week past having walking pneumonia. Pretty rough critiques, considering the facts.

I'm telling you man.
If every team has Smith figured out, it speaks volumes that he was averaging north of 20 ppg before this game. He must really be the man then. 8 points on 4 shot attempts is fine.