Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whitley County 44 Harlan County 38
Good road win for Whitley.
Congrats to Lady Colonels. Good win.
HCHS is underachieving. They need to get some things straightened out or they won't come close to making it out of district.
I'm so surprised by Harlan county this year... What is going on?
Olred Wrote:I'm so surprised by Harlan county this year... What is going on?

Coaching
Harlan County is better than this.
Harlan is not the same typical Harlan.Blame it on the coaching or whatever,but something is in disarray there.
Heisenberg Effect Wrote:Harlan is not the same typical Harlan.Blame it on the coaching or whatever,but something is in disarray there.

I agree.
HC is a very young team! 2 Seniors, 1 Junior, 3 Sophomores and the rest are Freshman or 8th graders. You are going to have lulls with youth. Couple that with a new coach that didn't get a full summer with that young team and the results are showing. Given time to mature HC will be OK! Maybe not this year but very formidable in the near future. They still need to get some things worked out or they will be short lived in the District. I believe they can do it though.
TAG Wrote:HC is a very young team! 2 Seniors, 1 Junior, 3 Sophomores and the rest are Freshman or 8th graders. You are going to have lulls with youth. Couple that with a new coach that didn't get a full summer with that young team and the results are showing. Given time to mature HC will be OK! Maybe not this year but very formidable in the near future. They still need to get some things worked out or they will be short lived in the District. I believe they can do it though.

I could buy into that if this were December, but we are in Feb....and they have had 3/4 of a season to get things rolling. And there is no doubt that they have talent.
Whitley is no older. Maybe younger.
It is very dissapointing. Lots of talent on that team. I've seen about 4 games so far and they don't seem to have a desire to win. I have my doubts about this coaching hire. The school has been in existence I believe 7 years. During their first 4 years they played 3 times in the regional championship (I believe). More than likely, they will miss the regional tourney again this year with a first round district loss to Harlan. It is a 5A school so everything you need is in place to reload year after year and hang some regional banners in that Gym.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Whitley is no older. Maybe younger.

Whitley has a very good group of young players, including two who are out for the year with injuries, but they are older than Harlan County. Whitley starts three seniors (Jones, Dingess and Sizemore) and one junior (Vanderpool). HCHS starts one senior and one junior and two or three freshmen.
HCS Wrote:Whitley has a very good group of young players, including two who are out for the year with injuries, but they are older than Harlan County. Whitley starts three seniors (Jones, Dingess and Sizemore) and one junior (Vanderpool). HCHS starts one senior and one junior and two or three freshmen.

Yea, but Whitley is missing what is a sure starter in Estes and maybe a starter in Centers both of whom are frosh.
They also have two eighth graders and a 7th grader.

Overall Whitley has one 7th grader, three eighth graders, five freshman, one sophomore, one junior, and three seniors on the roster, so id say just as young considering HC has two seniors, one junior, and three sophomores.