Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Basketball Maher Rankings
The Maher Rankings have been calculating rankings for high school soccer in Kentucky since 2011, and in Ohio since 2013. The rankings have been adopted by the Kentucky High School Girls Soccer Coaches Association, and sited frequently by the Louisville Courier Journal. We just took our first foray into basketball. Please give it a look. It is our first cut, there are quite possibly some bugs, but we will iron those out given some time. The most obvious is that there are a few teams with incomplete Region numbers.

The rankings include features that ported over from the soccer rankings fairly easily: By Region Rankings, Strength of Schedule, Region Strengths, and Movers of the Week. In the future, we have plans to do All-time Rankings, and an Upset of the Week.

The rankings typically run at about an 80-85% prediction rate by about the halfway point of the season.

Please take a look and let us know what you think. You can comment directly on the site as well.

Kentucky Basketball Home Page

Boys Top 200 Rankings and Region Strengths as of Sunday

Boys By Region Rankings and Movers of the Week

There is more about the ranking calculation method on the About page.
Williamsburg is ranked 12 spots below Whitley and just beat the Colonels by 21. Like you said, this IS your first go round.
Whitley was A good team,
Yes, very good. I suspect a pretty big win for Williamsburg. We have 553 games wrong this year, so shouldn't be too hard to find them.

12 spots sounds like a lot too, but taking a closer look, they were separated by only 3 points in the scaled rating. I haven't done the exact calculation but I would suspect that would have given Whitley around a 55% chance to win. Close to a toss up.

Still the huge margin of victory, Williamsburg must have played one heck of a game tonight.
SoccerMath Wrote:Yes, very good. I suspect a pretty big win for Williamsburg. We have 553 games wrong this year, so shouldn't be too hard to find them.

12 spots sounds like a lot too, but taking a closer look, they were separated by only 3 points in the scaled rating. I haven't done the exact calculation but I would suspect that would have given Whitley around a 55% chance to win. Close to a toss up.

Still the huge margin of victory, Williamsburg must have played one heck of a game tonight.
Whitley had an off night. Ony one player had a good game. It was Whitley shooting that lost this game.
Whitey missed wide open shots all night. It wasn't Williamsburg defense. They simply couldn't get it in the basket.
Flash154 Wrote:Whitey missed wide open shots all night. It wasn't Williamsburg defense. They simply couldn't get it in the basket.

Yeah yeah yeah
Looks like the rematch will Feb 9, only this time at Williamsburg. It will be interesting. Williamsburg has a nice little unbeaten streak going.
Very nice work. I think your ratings put cantrill's to shame. Thanks for the time and effort. There will always be people who complain(a la avery bullock). Again, thanks, and keep up the good work.
Appreciate the kind words, and the complaints are all part of the fun too, I don't think anyone means anything by them. I don't know anything about the Cantrill ratings. I would be interested to see their prediction rates, but I can only find Top 25 online.
E's Army Wrote:Yeah yeah yeah
Whitley shot the ball 28% from the field and 20% from 3-point. Anyone at the game can tell you they were missing wide open shots. They beat themselves.