Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Steve Smith The Best Receiver Ever......
When you consider size/height/all that, is Steve Smith the best receiver of all time? I don't think he is if you don't consider size, but he's the best if you consider how short and small he is. Just my opinion
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
No way he is the best of all time. Hes not the biggest wide-out but his speed and hand/eye coordination is what makes him one of the best in the League. But of course the best of all time is Jerry Rice, and mayb the greatest athlete in NFL history.
Smile Call me crazy, but I think Jerry Rice just might "squeak" him out for best receiver ever. Smile I hope you forgot about him before sayin best ever.
I agree with the previous two post....Jerry Rice is definately the best WR the NFL has ever seen.
alfus21 Wrote:Smile Call me crazy, but I think Jerry Rice just might "squeak" him out for best receiver ever. Smile I hope you forgot about him before sayin best ever.

Did you not read my post? I said considering his size, meaning that if you consider size/height/whatever to production ratio, he might be the best. If you've ever seen a game in the NFL, you know that most good receivers have good height.
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
BFritz...I understand what you are asking as far as him being the best ever and if he keeps up like he is doing then he could possibly be one of the best... but as of now he is not but he is by far the best reciever in the league at this time with Marvin Harrison!!!
Best ever, No.. not by a long shot. But, Best of his generation. Maybe
I think he'll be the best ever soon he is the Allen Iverson of football
TOMCAT06 Wrote:I think he'll be the best ever soon he is the Allen Iverson of football

I agree, and you're all missing my whole point. I'm not saying he's the "best receiver", I'm saying he's the best receiver when you take his size into consideration. I'm saying his height to preformance ratio is the best ever. Marvin Harrison would be a close 2nd, and some people may even think he's the best. Harrison has 61 less yards, two more TDs, but he's 6 foot to Smith's 5'9, Harrison has Wayne opposite him which draws a lot of coverage off him, Keyshawn's solid, but he's no Reggie Wayne, teams also have to respect the run more with the Colts, so that leaves less people to cover Harrison, where the Panthers aren't as good on the run which leaves more people to cover Smith.
BFritz Wrote:I agree, and you're all missing my whole point. I'm not saying he's the "best receiver", I'm saying he's the best receiver when you take his size into consideration. I'm saying his height to preformance ratio is the best ever. Marvin Harrison would be a close 2nd, and some people may even think he's the best. Harrison has 61 less yards, two more TDs, but he's 6 foot to Smith's 5'9, Harrison has Wayne opposite him which draws a lot of coverage off him, Keyshawn's solid, but he's no Reggie Wayne, teams also have to respect the run more with the Colts, so that leaves less people to cover Harrison, where the Panthers aren't as good on the run which leaves more people to cover Smith.

For his size i think he is the best reciever in the nfl yes i do
Maybe for his size yes, but Jerry Rice is the best and will always be the best. Mostly because Steve Smith cannot lead his team to a Super Bowl (EVEN though they did go couple of years ago) Jerry could lead his team to the Super Bowl about every season.
BFritz Wrote:Did you not read my post? I said considering his size, meaning that if you consider size/height/whatever to production ratio, he might be the best. If you've ever seen a game in the NFL, you know that most good receivers have good height. .

Dude, even considering his size I wouldn't call him the best in the NFL right now. He's great, but to say he's the best ever is absurd.
SEKYscout Wrote:I agree with the previous two post....Jerry Rice is definately the best WR the NFL has ever seen.
I agree!
I would have to say the best WR in our generation would have to be Marvin Harrison. He is a class act, you dont ever see him do a celebration when he gets a touchdown, he just hands the football to the referee and goes along and does his job. He has broken alot of records since hes been in the league and he will definitely a future hall of famer. Whenever he gets a superbowl ring or two then we could probably consider him as one of the all time greats, although hes making his way as of now, one day he will be a legend.
um, dumbest post ive seen on here ever, Jerry Rice,Largent,hes not even the best in the NFL, he is at the top of course, and for his size he is very good, but not the greatest ever, no way
windmill Wrote:um, dumbest post ive seen on here ever, Jerry Rice,Largent,hes not even the best in the NFL, he is at the top of course, and for his size he is very good, but not the greatest ever, no way

not right now he isn't but in the neaqr future he very well could be
alfus21 Wrote:Dude, even considering his size I wouldn't call him the best in the NFL right now. He's great, but to say he's the best ever is absurd.

Absurd? How many players can you name that weren't as well-endowed physically who produced more and are/were better??

blackcat_student Wrote:Maybe for his size yes, but Jerry Rice is the best and will always be the best. Mostly because Steve Smith cannot lead his team to a Super Bowl (EVEN though they did go couple of years ago) Jerry could lead his team to the Super Bowl about every season.

First off, he was great, but he didn't lead his team to any Super Bowls. They were lead to the Super Bowls by Joe Montana and Steve Young, two Hall of Fame quarterbacks who were argueably two of the best of all time (Montana was definitely one of the best of all time)
windmill Wrote:um, dumbest post ive seen on here ever, Jerry Rice,Largent,hes not even the best in the NFL, he is at the top of course, and for his size he is very good, but not the greatest ever, no way

Name one receiver who has challenges such as being as short as him and still produces tops in the NFL. He finds ways to get open, and can't really go up over people to catch balls
BFritz Wrote:Absurd? How many players can you name that weren't as well-endowed physically who produced more and are/were better??

I mean I know he's 5'9 but a lot of good receivers are only 6'0 and 3 inches isn't that huge a of a difference. Most CB's hang right in that height range.

Tory Holt is 6'0 and is just as amazing as Smith imo.
Harrison is 6'0 and is one of the best ever. About the same as Smith imo.
Other great 6'0 receivers are Reggie Wayne who is putting up huge numbers, and Hines Ward who is great, and blocks better than anyone as well.

Laveranues Coles is 5'11 and puts up big numbers year in and year out.

Terry Glenn is 5'11 also, puts up huge numbers often.

Santana Moss is 5'10 and we saw the year he had last season.

There's been many more in the past also that compare to Steve Smith as far as size and numbers. He's not the best ever, even factoring in size. End of story.
i got your back bfritz everybody's hatin on your post but i gotchyer back buddy!
rice
Chris Carter and Tim Brown would also be considered at the top of the all time greats
alfus21 Wrote:I mean I know he's 5'9 but a lot of good receivers are only 6'0 and 3 inches isn't that huge a of a difference. Most CB's hang right in that height range.

Tory Holt is 6'0 and is just as amazing as Smith imo.
Harrison is 6'0 and is one of the best ever. About the same as Smith imo.
Other great 6'0 receivers are Reggie Wayne who is putting up huge numbers, and Hines Ward who is great, and blocks better than anyone as well.

Laveranues Coles is 5'11 and puts up big numbers year in and year out.

Terry Glenn is 5'11 also, puts up huge numbers often.

Santana Moss is 5'10 and we saw the year he had last season.

There's been many more in the past also that compare to Steve Smith as far as size and numbers. He's not the best ever, even factoring in size. End of story.

No offense, but for as much as you criticize me, if you don't think 3 inches is that big of a difference...... but I'm not allowed to criticize you.....

Reggie Wayne is still a level below Steve Smith. Harrison is great, but 1 look at his supporting cast 2 look who he's got throwing him the ball. Not to mention he's 3 inches taller. Those three reasons apply to Wayne also

The fact that most corners aren't as big builds on my argument because he can't do things like jump over corners, body up to them, or us his overall height/size to his advantage.

Those other receivers put up solid numbers, but are nowhere near Smith
Is Steve Smith the best receiver in the league now? Maybe

Give me Torry Holt (who doesn't get enough credit)....

Steve Smith probably isn't in the top 75-100 WR of all time, no matter what size he is... too me, it's about results, there have been plenty of smallish WR who have had successful careers (Steve Largent comes to mind)....
FreakNasty Wrote:Is Steve Smith the best receiver in the league now? Maybe

Give me Torry Holt (who doesn't get enough credit)....

Steve Smith probably isn't in the top 75-100 WR of all time, no matter what size he is... too me, it's about results, there have been plenty of smallish WR who have had successful careers (Steve Largent comes to mind)....

not even in the top 75? are u crazy??
TOMCAT06 Wrote:not even in the top 75? are u crazy??

Of all time? How many great season has Smith had? 2? You can make a case there are 7 or 8 better than him right now....
BFritz Wrote:The fact that most corners aren't as big builds on my argument because he can't do things like jump over corners, body up to them, or us his overall height/size to his advantage.

Those other receivers put up solid numbers, but are nowhere near Smith

Man he has only two 1,000 yard seasons in 5 full seasons. He will probably surpas that this season, but I don't know where you are getting all these mysterious stats from and why he is so good?

Like Freaknasty said, he is one of the best now, but for all time he's lucky to be top 50.

Other than last season he has been mediocre at best.
Bfritz.....one of the best in league...yea...but best ever...lets not get ahead of ourselves here...u ever heard of jerry rice, chris cater...im pretty sure i would put those guys ahead of him...as far size goes i think heinz ward is a better reciever than smith as much as i hate to admit it.
FreakNasty Wrote:Of all time? How many great season has Smith had? 2? You can make a case there are 7 or 8 better than him right now....

Amen.:thatsfunn

Let's name them..
(Not in any particular order)

1.) Randy Moss
2.) Marvin Harrison
3.) TO---as much as I hate to say it
4.) Hines Ward
5.) Chad Johnson
6.) Joe Horn
7.) Torry Holt

And as best ever? Um.. hm.... Jerry Rice? Chris Carter? Steve Largent? Any of those ring a bell?
Gorn Wrote:Amen.:thatsfunn

Let's name them..
(Not in any particular order)

1.) Randy Moss
2.) Marvin Harrison
3.) TO---as much as I hate to say it
4.) Hines Ward
5.) Chad Johnson
6.) Joe Horn
7.) Torry Holt

And as best ever? Um.. hm.... Jerry Rice? Chris Carter? Steve Largent? Any of those ring a bell?

Once again, another person who doesn't read all the posts and just assumes he's smarter than everyone. Randy Moss is 6'4 210, Harrison could be argued for even though he's 3 inches taller with a lot more offensive weapons to draw some attention off of him, not to mention that he has Peyton Manning throwing him the ball. Chad Johnson is 6'1 192, and has Carson throwing him the ball. Not to mention other weapons on the offense that the defense has to respect. Owens 6'3 224, plus he's good, but I don't think he can get open like Smith can. Ward, Holt, Horn, not even close. Rice 6'2 plus people like Young and Montana throwing him the ball. Chris Carter, Steve Largent, no

Harrison could be argued, and I might agree. That's probly why I started the thread, to hear everyone's opinions and to discuss it........
BFritz Wrote:Ward, Holt, Horn, not even close.

How can they not even be close when the consistantly have better numbers than Smith year in and year out excluding last sesaon?

Two 1,000 yard seasons in 5 years doesn't qualify for best of all time in my book, and I really wonder how it puts up there for yours.