Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
East Ridge 2015
Any thoughts about the Warriors on their entrance back into district play? Is Kenneth O'Quinn returning as head coach? What about the assistants? Heard a few of them were moving. Who are they key returning players? Can East Ridge make the playoffs next season?
East Ridge's head football coach will be Kenneth O'Quinn. O'Quinn returns after leading the Warriors to a 5-5 season last year. I haven't heard anything specific about the other coaches returning or not. The players ER lose after going 11-9 in the past two years are going to be extremely difficult to replace. Trey Little is by far and away the teams best returning player. Randy Williamson is a 4 year starter at Center. He will anchor the Offensive and Defensive lines. Kicker Jacob Clark will be healthy after returning from an ACL injury. Losing veteran players like Dalton Smith, Elijia Epling, and Jacob Chaney are possible program breakers. As for the schedule, non district looks pretty competitive. Knott, Phelps, Grundy, South Floyd. What I would be worried about is going back into district play. Allen Central, Betsy Layne, Shelby Valley, Prestonsburg and Leslie County. Unless those kids are working hard in the weight room, I'd say they may be looking at a 3-6 win season and could possibly miss the playoffs.
Warrior 2015 Schedule

Knott Central -Away
Phelps - Pike County Bowl
Twin Valley, VA - Away
Grundy, VA - Home
Allen Central - Home
Prestonsburg - Away
Shelby Valley - Home
Betsy Layne - Away
Leslie County - Away
South Floyd - Home

Realistically I can see the Tribe going anywhere from 3-7 to 7-3. Depending on what happens in the off season. I hope they are lifting hard in the weight room.
Knott Central - Win
Phelps - Win
Twin Valley, VA - Possible Win
Grundy, VA - Win
Allen Central - Win
Prestonsburg - Lose
Shelby Valley - Lose
Betsy Layne - Don't be surprised if they win this one!
Leslie County - lose
South Floyd - Win
I think they can beat Leslie County. Same Leslie that struggled with Betsy Layne and Jackson County...Could make for an interesting match up.

On a side note, what is the deal with the coaching staff? Does anyone know?
Deebo Wrote:I think they can beat Leslie County. Same Leslie that struggled with Betsy Layne and Jackson County...Could make for an interesting match up.

On a side note, what is the deal with the coaching staff? Does anyone know?

Oh, also same Leslie that beat Prestonsburg and only lost by 3 to State Semi-Finalist Shelby Valley? Leslie will be very much improved from last season. If I heard correctly, East Ridge will have some Leslie flare on the sideline in former Quarterbacks Quentin andn Jimmy Joe Morgan... Is this Correct? Both are fine young men and could sling it back in the day.
I heard today that East Ridge will be making an announcement about the new head coach very soon.
Okay, ER football program
Back approx a month ago Quentin Morgan was named the new coach for this season.
Now I am hearing that Morgan is out as Head Coach and Brad Allen will be returning to the Head Coaching position at ER. Why? and How? I have no idea.

My own opinion, (I don't understand the politics or the staff up on the hill.) But I don't like this decision, why not give Morgan a legit shot at this. But we may never get the chance to see it. Either way, I wish the warriors the best of luck.
To my information,

Morgan was named Interim Coach for the time being as he is the only full time teacher in the building that was on staff. He was already doing HS and MS baseball. Very unlikely that he was going to be the HFC. Chances are he will be the Varsity baseball coach next year anyway.

Brad Allen is the new HFC for the Warriors. He will have Morgan on staff and maybe May. Terry may come out to help. Brad built the foundation back in 2008 and after spending a season with another state championship caliber program, look for him to pick back off where he left.

I'm very excited to see Brad wearing navy and columbia again!
East Ridge has OFFICIALLY hired Brad Allen (again) as the Head Football Coach.
Quote:Allen is returning to the Warriors after a stint as an assistant coach at Belfry, where they captured the Class AAA State Championship.

Allen was originally the head coach of East Ridge from 2008 to 2013, and earned a record of 17-24, including two playoff appearances in 2009 and 2010.

Before becoming the head coach of the Warriors, Allen was an assistant at Pikeville College, where he was a critical part of the offensive line that went to the National Playoffs. Allen played his high school ball at Breathitt County under legendary coach Mike Hocolmb.

This is the best hire they could have hoped for! I heard it wasn't looking too good with the other candidates.

Best of luck to the Warriors in 2015.
Great to hear if true. Really surprising!
Watched Bradley grow up from when he was a little guy playing at SMS and throughout high school and college. This young man is a wonderful person and a great role model for our youth. Also does a dandy job coachin em up...congrats Bradley.
Deebo Wrote:East Ridge has OFFICIALLY hired Brad Allen (again) as the Head Football Coach.

This is the best hire they could have hoped for! I heard it wasn't looking too good with the other candidates.

Best of luck to the Warriors in 2015.
Allen was 17-61 in 6 seasons with the Warriors.

08 1-9
09 3-8
10 6-5
11 0-9
12 1-9
13 6-4
Brad Allen was named the Head Coach today at a press conference at East Ridge High.
Real Badman Wrote:Brad Allen was named the Head Coach today at a press conference at East Ridge High.

I'm really excited to hear this! I was glad Mr. O'Quinn was the coach last year, reminded me a lot of my Elkhorn City days, but I can't wait to see how Coach Allen will transition back as the coach at East Ridge.

Dropping out of district play in 2013 was a great decision. They've won more ball games in 2 years then they've ever had. I think Coach Allen will get them even more this year.

Looking at the schedule, and having another quality coach on staff, I can see us winning anywhere from 6-8 games next year. Bright days are ahead on the Ridge!
Who will the assistants be? Any chance O'Quinn sticks around for support? One hire usually does not make or break a football team like it does with other sports, takes a few good coaches in FB's case. ER has had some good coaches but they never seem to get the right supporting staff.
Thought I would check in for the upcoming season. ER has a 3 game winning streak going into 2015, which is 7th in the state (behind Louisville Trinity). East Ridge finished off the season winning against Grundy, Jackson County, and South Floyd. 5-0 is a hopeful start to 2015, but you never know how anything will go until you get the pads on. East Ridge was hit hard by graduation losing the most talented group since the 2006 season. Bringing back Brad Allen will be a big boost for the Warriors. Allen will bring back Keith May, Quentin Morgan, Jimmy Joe Morgan, Mike O'Quinn, Kenny O'Quinn, and last seasons HC Kenneth O'Quinn.

East Ridge looked strong the first two weeks having 45+ out at practice. Plenty of returners and a few key newcomers. Jacob Clark, Trey Little, Brodey Johnson, and Kenkoda Rife look to be strong leaders on and off the field for this upcoming.

Out of the first five games, you travel to Knott County Central, to the Pike County Bowl to play Phelps, and then following an open week we host Grundy, Twin Valley, and Allen Central.

Knott County is sort of a toss up, you never know what (or who) you will get with a John Paul Chapman led team. Phelps should be easily outgunned by the Warriors. Twin Valley and Grundy will be tough opponents this season. Last year Grundy was a very young team, not the usual Virginia powerhouse they're used to being, while Twin Vally was having one of the best teams in its history. Allen Central is a critical district opener, but I look for East Ridge to win with ease.

You should hopefully see the Warriors with an 8 game winning streak going into Prestonsburg for a very tough battle against the Blackcats. Following East Ridge will honor the 1973 1A State Runner-Up Elkhorn City Cougars football team as they will host Shelby Valley (led by former East Ridge head coach and Elkhorn City Alum, Eric Ratliff). Following murders row, East Ridge will travel to a must win against Betsy Layne, where East Ridge should be slightly favored. Finish the season at a pretty good Leslie County team and hosting South Floyd to finish out the season. We're hoping for a good year up on the Ridge!
Go Warriors!
TribePride Wrote:Thought I would check in for the upcoming season. ER has a 3 game winning streak going into 2015, which is 7th in the state (behind Louisville Trinity). East Ridge finished off the season winning against Grundy, Jackson County, and South Floyd. 5-0 is a hopeful start to 2015, but you never know how anything will go until you get the pads on. East Ridge was hit hard by graduation losing the most talented group since the 2006 season. Bringing back Brad Allen will be a big boost for the Warriors. Allen will bring back Keith May, Quentin Morgan, Jimmy Joe Morgan, Mike O'Quinn, Kenny O'Quinn, and last seasons HC Kenneth O'Quinn.

East Ridge looked strong the first two weeks having 45+ out at practice. Plenty of returners and a few key newcomers. Jacob Clark, Trey Little, Brodey Johnson, and Kenkoda Rife look to be strong leaders on and off the field for this upcoming.

Out of the first five games, you travel to Knott County Central, to the Pike County Bowl to play Phelps, and then following an open week we host Grundy, Twin Valley, and Allen Central.

Knott County is sort of a toss up, you never know what (or who) you will get with a John Paul Chapman led team. Phelps should be easily outgunned by the Warriors. Twin Valley and Grundy will be tough opponents this season. Last year Grundy was a very young team, not the usual Virginia powerhouse they're used to being, while Twin Vally was having one of the best teams in its history. Allen Central is a critical district opener, but I look for East Ridge to win with ease.

You should hopefully see the Warriors with an 8 game winning streak going into Prestonsburg for a very tough battle against the Blackcats. Following East Ridge will honor the 1973 1A State Runner-Up Elkhorn City Cougars football team as they will host Shelby Valley (led by former East Ridge head coach and Elkhorn City Alum, Eric Ratliff). Following murders row, East Ridge will travel to a must win against Betsy Layne, where East Ridge should be slightly favored. Finish the season at a pretty good Leslie County team and hosting South Floyd to finish out the season. We're hoping for a good year up on the Ridge!

You do realize with the exception of the 6 State Champions that every team in the state that participated in the playoffs would have lost the last game they played. Therefore ending any winning streak they may have had. East Ridge gets that 7 spot by default, since they didn't participate in the playoffs.

I think Coach Allen is a good fit for the Warriors and wish him and ER the best of luck this upcoming season with the exception of your October 2nd game.
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:You do realize with the exception of the 6 State Champions that every team in the state that participated in the playoffs would have lost the last game they played. Therefore ending any winning streak they may have had. East Ridge gets that 7 spot by default, since they didn't participate in the playoffs.

I think Coach Allen is a good fit for the Warriors and wish him and ER the best of luck this upcoming season with the exception of your October 2nd game.

It's still a winning streak.

It is also very forseeable that if ER starts off 5-0 (very possible) hat they will own the Sate's Longest Current Winning Streak..even if for a brief amount of time... all 6 of the State Champs will have very tough early season games
EKUAlum05 Wrote:It's still a winning streak.

It is also very forseeable that if ER starts off 5-0 (very possible) hat they will own the Sate's Longest Current Winning Streak..even if for a brief amount of time... all 6 of the State Champs will have very tough early season games

As much as I love to disagree and debate with you, after looking at the 6 State Champs schedules for this season, I will have to agree. I also agree that yes it is still a winning streak, but a little misleading one.
Wow glad to see Brad back at East Ridge. One poster said Brad spent time with another state championship caliber team. What team is that
3sportfan Wrote:Wow glad to see Brad back at East Ridge. One poster said Brad spent time with another state championship caliber team. What team is that

Assistant Coach at Belfry last year
Gonna be interesting to see Sheldon Clark and East Ridge in their scrimmage on August 14, just to see how far the Warriors have come since dropping out of district play.