Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joker vs Stoops ? Matt Jones of KSR is Stupid
honestjchsfan Wrote:I know you are a loyal and good little Kentucky fan and the big name Stoops has really got you really fired up but I have seen this crap all before. Stoops = Curry, YES Bill Curry,,, Curry made himself a big name coaching at a power house program but coaching Football at Kentucky will separate the wheat from the chaff! Curry didn't do much as Head Coach at Kentucky, its a lot easier at Bama! I figure Stoops will get 5 or 6 years at Kentucky but I don't expect him to win much. Kentucky needs a James Franklin type coach! Recruiting alone will not get it done in the SEC!

I don't expect Kentucky to compete for a SEC championship on the regular ever in my lifetime. I do think we're able to do something like what Dan Mullen has done at Miss State this season. He has a veteran group and a good quarterback that can beat anyone in the country, next year they'll be lucky to win 6 games. But that's how it goes when you don't have the history or tradition and the ability to recruit at the level 3/4 of the rest of the conference can. I don't care who's the coach at Kentucky. We're never going to rank higher than 10th in the SEC in signing classes. That's just a fact.

I want to see Kentucky have an elite level football program, but we showed up really late to the party. Money hasn't ever really been invested into the program to be competitive in the SEC. Fans have become accustom to seeing losing seasons and have given up on the program long before Stoops or Joker took over in Lexington. That fault falls on former administrations at the university.

Football makes the money, not basketball.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I don't expect Kentucky to compete for a SEC championship on the regular ever in my lifetime. I do think we're able to do something like what Dan Mullen has done at Miss State this season. He has a veteran group and a good quarterback that can beat anyone in the country, next year they'll be lucky to win 6 games. But that's how it goes when you don't have the history or tradition and the ability to recruit at the level 3/4 of the rest of the conference can. I don't care who's the coach at Kentucky. We're never going to rank higher than 10th in the SEC in signing classes. That's just a fact.

I want to see Kentucky have an elite level football program, but we showed up really late to the party. Money hasn't ever really been invested into the program to be competitive in the SEC. Fans have become accustom to seeing losing seasons and have given up on the program long before Stoops or Joker took over in Lexington. That fault falls on former administrations at the university.

Football makes the money, not basketball.

Take a look at what Duke has done the last few years in football. It all started with Duke hiring a experienced head coach in David Cutcliffe. Cutcliffe had 7 years experience in the rough an tough SEC. I don't understand why anyone would hand one of the toughest Head Football Coaching jobs in the country to someone who has no head coaching experience!
Lets face it, Kentucky is nothing more than a stepping stone job for an up and comer to get his feet wet in. Do a halfway decent job in an environment where it is tough to succeed and it looks good on your resume when you apply for a good job.

The reason why Stoops is here is because of two things:

(A)This was his chance to get a shot at a head coaching job in a high profile conference.

(B) Nobody else wants the job at Kentucky.
Bob Seger Wrote:Lets face it, Kentucky is nothing more than a stepping stone job for an up and comer to get his feet wet in. Do a halfway decent job in an environment where it is tough to succeed and it looks good on your resume when you apply for a good job.

(A)This was his chance to get a shot at a head coaching job in a high profile conference.

Plenty of good "up and comers" have done well at other schools. It's real easy, either stay in the SEC and cut a huge check to a proven "trailblazer" or ......oh, not an option is it?

Stoops has the next two seasons to prove he can best Butch Jones at UT, and make UK bowl eligible...it's just that simple or he gone!!!

Go CATS!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
honestjchsfan Wrote:Take a look at what Duke has done the last few years in football. It all started with Duke hiring a experienced head coach in David Cutcliffe. Cutcliffe had 7 years experience in the rough an tough SEC. I don't understand why anyone would hand one of the toughest Head Football Coaching jobs in the country to someone who has no head coaching experience!

I would understand your opinion if Stoops hadn't have already been a coordinator or assistant at Miami, Arizona, and Florida State. He's been at the top and has been around great coaches his entire life.

As for Duke and Cutcliffe, sure he's done a great job there, but let's not act like the ACC is the SEC, because it's far from it. Duke wouldn't have won more than 2 or 3 conference games the last couple of seasons.

Like mentioned already, Kentucky is a stepping stone job. We don't have the instate recruits other schools in the SEC have to compete at their level yearly. Sure we may steal a few recruits from the elite teams in the conference every now and again, but that's mostly because we can offer playing time as a freshman. But in the end we're still going to be signing majority of the other SEC teams leftovers.
Spirit100 Wrote:Plenty of good "up and comers" have done well at other schools. It's real easy, either stay in the SEC and cut a huge check to a proven "trailblazer" or ......oh, not an option is it?

Stoops has the next two seasons to prove he can best Butch Jones at UT, and make UK bowl eligible...it's just that simple or he gone!!!

Go CATS!!!

That's what I was saying Spirit...lol
Lets hope and pray Neal Brown gets the troy job.
That would be the first good sign that maybe, just maybe, Stoops can get a O coordinator in that can at least beat Neal Browns 7th grade play book.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I would understand your opinion if Stoops hadn't have already been a coordinator or assistant at Miami, Arizona, and Florida State. He's been at the top and has been around great coaches his entire life.

As for Duke and Cutcliffe, sure he's done a great job there, but let's not act like the ACC is the SEC, because it's far from it. Duke wouldn't have won more than 2 or 3 conference games the last couple of seasons.

Like mentioned already, Kentucky is a stepping stone job. We don't have the instate recruits other schools in the SEC have to compete at their level yearly. Sure we may steal a few recruits from the elite teams in the conference every now and again, but that's mostly because we can offer playing time as a freshman. But in the end we're still going to be signing majority of the other SEC teams leftovers.

Your point about the ACC has little importance in our conversation because Cutcliffe has already proved he can coach and win in the SEC! Cutcliffe coached a Ole Miss team that tied for First place in the SEC West division in 2003! I totally disagree with you,, being a coordinator or assistant is no where near the same as being a head coach!
honestjchsfan Wrote:Your point about the ACC has little importance in our conversation because Cutcliffe has already proved he can coach and win in the SEC! Cutcliffe coached a Ole Miss team that tied for First place in the SEC West division in 2003! I totally disagree with you,, being a coordinator or assistant is no where near the same as being a head coach!

Who was the quarterback on that Ole Miss squad? Wasn't Cutcliffe also fired the following year?

I agree, you don't really know what being a head coach will truly be like until you've actually got your feet wet as one, but he's been around some of the best coaches in the game today. So I don't really see that being a very big problem.

But tell me, who would've realistically come in here and done a better job than what Stoops has done so far? He's already turned out two of the best recruiting classes UK has ever had in football in his first two years.

He has to be given time.
Stoops is like a pro wrestler that is getting a major "push" for popularity.....

Hulk Hogan, Sting, The Undertaker, The Rock, Stone Cold Steve Austin weren't main event material when they first showed up on the scene either. They had to be built up. UK is trying their best to build Stoops up. Mark still has to bring in big recruits and get wins on the field. UK fans should come out on Fall Saturdays no matter the W/L record. We need to support OUR team if we are 0-12 or 12-0.

A new practice facility, renovations to Commonwealth Stadium.... UK is doing their best to show full support to Stoops.

Stoops inherited a disaster from the Joker era. Yes, he has been here for two seasons now. Not even Saban, Miles or dare I say Petrino could turn a bottom feeder in to an SEC East contender in two seasons.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Who was the quarterback on that Ole Miss squad? Wasn't Cutcliffe also fired the following year?

I agree, you don't really know what being a head coach will truly be like until you've actually got your feet wet as one, but he's been around some of the best coaches in the game today. So I don't really see that being a very big problem.

But tell me, who would've realistically come in here and done a better job than what Stoops has done so far? He's already turned out two of the best recruiting classes UK has ever had in football in his first two years.

He has to be given time.

My main problem with Stoops is his in game coaching! Stoops has been a great recruiter at UK but recruiting is only part of the battle. I also feel that Stoops football strategy makes no sense. The up tempo Offensive strategy IMO doesn't compliment Stoop's defensive goals. I would like Stoops better if he got rid of Neal Brown! I would also respect Stoops more open and honest about his plans for the UK football program!
honestjchsfan Wrote:My main problem with Stoops is his in game coaching! Stoops has been a great recruiter at UK but recruiting is only part of the battle. I also feel that Stoops football strategy makes no sense. The up tempo Offensive strategy IMO doesn't compliment Stoop's defensive goals. I would like Stoops better if he got rid of Neal Brown! I would also respect Stoops more open and honest about his plans for the UK football program!

Neal Brown calls the offensive plays. And Neal Brown is also going to be leaving for Troy by next week, very likely. So I think next year, depending on who UK hires as offensive coordinator, you'll like Stoops a whole lot more.
[Image:

]
honestjchsfan Wrote:My main problem with Stoops is his in game coaching! Stoops has been a great recruiter at UK but recruiting is only part of the battle. I also feel that Stoops football strategy makes no sense. The up tempo Offensive strategy IMO doesn't compliment Stoop's defensive goals. I would like Stoops better if he got rid of Neal Brown! I would also respect Stoops more open and honest about his plans for the UK football program!

I can't necessarily disagree with you about Neal Brown.

I'm not sold on him or John Schlarman (OL coach) at all. If Neal Brown was to take the Troy job then I wouldn't be losing any sleep.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I can't necessarily disagree with you about Neal Brown.

I'm not sold on him or John Schlarman (OL coach) at all. If Neal Brown was to take the Troy job then I wouldn't be losing any sleep.

I think a program like Kentucky should take the Joe Gibbs approach too moving the football. Joe Gibbs coached the Redskins back during the playing days of LT and Reggie White. Max protection for the QB was critical when you played against those guys! My #1 problem with Neal Brown is TOO MUCH read option not enough Hal Mumme air raid! Last season the whole Offense was a joke and Brown had us all scratching our heads wondering why Pat Towles was not the starting QB. I have not been impressed with Schlarman's coaching. The O-line has not improved at all! I think programs like Kentucky have to have a angle to allow them to compete. If I was recruiting offensive linemen at Kentucky I wouldn't take other SEC schools culls I would recruit to build a O-line that is slightly smaller/shorter but way more athletic than the most. Larry Allen, Nate Newton and John Hannah are all great linemen 6' 3" or shorter. My point is why recruit a 6' 6" guy who can't play over a 6' 3" guy who can???
honestjchsfan Wrote:I think a program like Kentucky should take the Joe Gibbs approach too moving the football. Joe Gibbs coached the Redskins back during the playing days of LT and Reggie White. Max protection for the QB was critical when you played against those guys! My #1 problem with Neal Brown is TOO MUCH read option not enough Hal Mumme air raid! Last season the whole Offense was a joke and Brown had us all scratching our heads wondering why Pat Towles was not the starting QB. I have not been impressed with Schlarman's coaching. The O-line has not improved at all! I think programs like Kentucky have to have a angle to allow them to compete. If I was recruiting offensive linemen at Kentucky I wouldn't take other SEC schools culls I would recruit to build a O-line that is slightly smaller/shorter but way more athletic than the most. Larry Allen, Nate Newton and John Hannah are all great linemen 6' 3" or shorter. My point is why recruit a 6' 6" guy who can't play over a 6' 3" guy who can???

I agree.

Kind of wish Stoops would have kept Mike Summers around from the previous staff. He was a good OL coach IMO.
Bob Seger Wrote:Lets face it, Kentucky is nothing more than a stepping stone job for an up and comer to get his feet wet in. Do a halfway decent job in an environment where it is tough to succeed and it looks good on your resume when you apply for a good job.

I disagree with you Bob some great coaches have wanted the Kentucky football coaching job and some great coaches have been ran off or passed over! Blanton Collier was a heck of good coach that was 5-2-1 against UT and he got ran off! Bill Arnsparger who is from Paris Kentucky was very interested in the job after Jerry Claiborne retired but was passed over. Arnsparger is the man that hired Steve Spurrier as coach a Florida. Howard Schnellenberger was passed over a few times too he is a former All-American at UK! Think about it Bob, two men who had a huge hand in building two Great football programs UF, and The U of Miami grew up in Kentucky. The 72' perfect season by the Dolphins, Arnsparger was the defensive coordinator and Schnellenberger the offensive coordinator.
honestjchsfan Wrote:I disagree with you Bob some great coaches have wanted the Kentucky football coaching job and some great coaches have been ran off or passed over! Blanton Collier was a heck of good coach that was 5-2-1 against UT and he got ran off! Bill Arnsparger who is from Paris Kentucky was very interested in the job after Jerry Claiborne retired but was passed over. Arnsparger is the man that hired Steve Spurrier as coach a Florida. Howard Schnellenberger was passed over a few times too he is a former All-American at UK! Think about it Bob, two men who had a huge hand in building two Great football programs UF, and The U of Miami grew up in Kentucky. The 72' perfect season by the Dolphins, Arnsparger was the defensive coordinator and Schnellenberger the offensive coordinator.

The big difference is the 500 (or whatever that number may be) instate D1 recruits that you have access to in just the state of Florida alone vs. the 15 D1 caliber recruits that Kentucky puts out who would like to stay at home, plus the multitude of recruits that want to go and play in Florida across the country....Most of the time it's more about Jimmies and Joes, rather than X's and O's and the shear numbers of depth that these schools collect and have access to on the sidelines...When their 3rd string is competitive with your starters, it's tough, especially when the late season injuries start piling up.

Programs like Florida, Florida State, LSU, Alabama and Miami turns away those same players that programs like Kentucky begs for and welcomes with open arms..When Kentucky does land one of those kids that can play at the Floridas, Miami's etc. it is usually just the allure for the chance of instant playing time in the SEC. .It's not only in football that this happens.. Baseball suffers the same..........Basketball does not. Where would UK basketball be without the yearly bumper crop of recruits? Same place as UK football. We have seen that prior to Calipari....Calipari is not a great coach, but he is a great recruiter that can stockpile the nations best Jimmies and Joes.

Spurrier is a great example of what I am talking about. A pretty good coach who excelled at a school like Florida with that state's resources, but who has not been so sterling at a school like South Carolina...He pretty much bombed in his stint in the NFL too..............

Jimmies and Joes, Jimmies and Joes.
Bob Seger Wrote:The big difference is the 500 (or whatever that number may be) instate D1 recruits that you have access to in just the state of Florida alone vs. the 15 D1 caliber recruits that Kentucky puts out who would like to stay at home, plus the multitude of recruits that want to go and play in Florida across the country....Most of the time it's more about Jimmies and Joes, rather than X's and O's and the shear numbers of depth that these schools collect and have access to on the sidelines...When their 3rd string is competitive with your starters, it's tough, especially when the late season injuries start piling up.

Programs like Florida, Florida State, LSU, Alabama and Miami turns away those same players that programs like Kentucky begs for and welcomes with open arms..When Kentucky does land one of those kids that can play at the Floridas, Miami's etc. it is usually just the allure for the chance of instant playing time in the SEC. .It's not only in football that this happens.. Baseball suffers the same..........Basketball does not. Where would UK basketball be without the yearly bumper crop of recruits? Same place as UK football. We have seen that prior to Calipari....Calipari is not a great coach, but he is a great recruiter that can stockpile the nations best Jimmies and Joes.

Spurrier is a great example of what I am talking about. A pretty good coach who excelled at a school like Florida with that state's resources, but who has not been so sterling at a school like South Carolina...He pretty much bombed in his stint in the NFL too..............

Jimmies and Joes, Jimmies and Joes.

The numbers game that you talk about is the #1 reason for the long losing streaks to Tennessee and Florida. Those games were always played late in the year and Kentucky's lack of depth always hurt them. A lot of younger UK football fans don't realize how good of a Coach Jerry Claiborne was. He won at least 5 games 7 years in a row. Claiborne needed a little more depth and just a little more talent. Claiborne forgot more about coaching football than Mark Stoops knows! Claiborne had coached 20 years before he took the UK job. The great Randy White was probably Jerry Claiborne's best player!
honestjchsfan Wrote:The numbers game that you talk about is the #1 reason for the long losing streaks to Tennessee and Florida. Those games were always played late in the year and Kentucky's lack of depth always hurt them. A lot of younger UK football fans don't realize how good of a Coach Jerry Claiborne was. He won at least 5 games 7 years in a row. Claiborne needed a little more depth and just a little more talent. Claiborne forgot more about coaching football than Mark Stoops knows! Claiborne had coached 20 years before he took the UK job. The great Randy White was probably Jerry Claiborne's best player!

Yep, I always was a big fan of Jerry Claiborne.