Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
78 point swing?
Has anyone ever heard of such a turn around in the same season? If so I'd love to hear them. It's hard for me to fathom this...Just simply unbelievable. I would love to see the game film from both games. Hats off to the Paintsville players and coaches.....Mind boggling
Never heard of anything like it....speaks volumes to Paintsville's gameplan and preparation.
Football is like a box of chocolates...
For the coaches to even get the players to believe is what's amazing after a 62-8 loss!
I said from the beginning Chirico would turn that program around. He is one hell of a coach.
Off subject, but does Chirico have anything to do with Chirico's restaurant in Pikeville?
I've said it from the day Chirico was hired, he will, IS, the best coach in eastern Kentucky. Chirico turned this program around immediately. If you recall, the QB this year didn't even play QB last year. The top returning rusher from last year hasn't played a down this year. The guy is a tremendous coach.
Playboy5 Wrote:Off subject, but does Chirico have anything to do with Chirico's restaurant in Pikeville?

LoL. I wondered if he was from the same family too. They can cook.
They snatch uh many of my dollars, lol!
Ike Cooter Wrote:I've said it from the day Chirico was hired, he will, IS, the best coach in eastern Kentucky. Chirico turned this program around immediately. If you recall, the QB this year didn't even play QB last year. The top returning rusher from last year hasn't played a down this year. The guy is a tremendous coach.

Was he the best coach in Eastern KY before the 78 point turnaround? Just curious......

If this is indeed the case...and he is the "best coach in Eastern KY"......he won't be in Paintsville for very long.
Agreed Josey. A lot of these schools throw money around like a street hustler.
Was he the best coach in Eastern KY before the 78 point turnaround? Just curious......

If this is indeed the case...and he is the "best coach in Eastern KY"......he won't be in Paintsville for very long.

Well, you don't KNOW that. Maybe he has other things that tie him to the community. He obviously doesn't lack dedication!!

I've never ever heard of a 78 point swing before in high school football. I think it's a great accomplishment!!
Playboy5 Wrote:For the coaches to even get the players to believe is what's amazing after a 62-8 loss!

Absolutely true... !! Don't have the first clue how he sold his gameplan to the players so effectively...

Coach Joe is passing up a fortune in not working the car lots !! Confusednicker:
Ike Cooter Wrote:I've said it from the day Chirico was hired, he will, IS, the best coach in eastern Kentucky. Chirico turned this program around immediately. If you recall, the QB this year didn't even play QB last year. The top returning rusher from last year hasn't played a down this year. The guy is a tremendous coach.

He did a great job in P-burg coaching the defensive secondary...everyone liked him, too. Wishing nothing but the best to him and the Tigers !!
If a game plan is able to turn around this kind of lost what does it say about his preparation for the first game. Has to be more to this than just a good game plan. A season of growth and maturity buying in and so much more to speculate about this team

Im not taking away from the coach he has apparently done a great job but the kids here must have really put in the effort to improve. Great job all the way around student athletes and coaching staff .....great threat great story
if someone from the school hasnt already, someone needs to contact major media outlets for this. the school was on the brink of shutting football down all together a few years ago. now they are in the midst of a cinderella story. Belcher's injuries, losing lineman early on, getting blasted early in the season, struggling, but maintaining in other games, the addition of Donte and his back story, Chirico's taking over and completely changing the atmosphere around Paintsville football. It has 30 for 30 written all over it!!
Now if they beat Raceland after losing 30-0...I say 30 for 30 for sure!
Objective Wrote:If a game plan is able to turn around this kind of lost what does it say about his preparation for the first game. Has to be more to this than just a good game plan. A season of growth and maturity buying in and so much more to speculate about this team

Im not taking away from the coach he has apparently done a great job but the kids here must have really put in the effort to improve. Great job all the way around student athletes and coaching staff .....great threat great story

There was more to it, of course...

Paintsville had a lot of players injured and out the first game - more than any kind of game planning can make up. Also, a number of the points Pikeville scored came after Paintsville hit the "panic button" - throwing more and deeper, going on 4th downs, blitzing and attempting to force fumbles on defense, etc.

Regardless, it was still a 54 point spread. It's truly amazing he got his players to -really- believe they could win.

:notworthy
I was amazed following this game last Friday, Have all those young kids that went through some tough times at Paintsville have grown up? Regardless good to see them back at it.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:Was he the best coach in Eastern KY before the 78 point turnaround? Just curious......

All you have to do is go back to August last year and see all my post after the hire of Chirico. I've said it from the beginning that he would put Paintsville football back near the top. As far as him leaving, never say never, but he has a successful business locally, tremendous support from the school, parents, players and community.
Playboy5 Wrote:Has anyone ever heard of such a turn around in the same season? If so I'd love to hear them. It's hard for me to fathom this...Just simply unbelievable. I would love to see the game film from both games. Hats off to the Paintsville players and coaches.....Mind boggling

Amazing turnaround.
I've never seen anything like that, and I've been around a LONG time.
i heard that estep broke his foot early on and try to keep playing on it. also heard Pikeville had a few lineman out as well. but the fact remains that Paintsville was without a doubt ready, prepared and fired up. i have said it all year, if their line play improves, much like Fairview, they will be a tough out. Raceland may very well have their hands full.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:i heard that estep broke his foot early on and try to keep playing on it. also heard Pikeville had a few lineman out as well. but the fact remains that Paintsville was without a doubt ready, prepared and fired up. i have said it all year, if their line play improves, much like Fairview, they will be a tough out. Raceland may very well have their hands full.

Scotty Bronson just like the Pikeville playoff game the Raceland game will be all about the matchup. Raceland is very quick up front and on the edge. Paintsville will need to try and find something that they can expose early and make Raceland adjust but anticipate it when it happens and have a plan in place when it does unlike what happened with Fairview, they simply didn't have the foresight.
Paintsville was not a horrible team when the first game was played. The turnaround still boggles my imagination. Pikeville had been playing well coming into this game. How many non Paintsville people picked them?
very few i would say. many expected a closer battle. but few of us thought they would pull it off. highly doubt neone thought it would be in such a dominating fashion.
I saw Pikeville without Pugh and thought they were very good. X's and 0's what did Paintsville do to make this difference?
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:i heard that estep broke his foot early on and try to keep playing on it. also heard Pikeville had a few lineman out as well. but the fact remains that Paintsville was without a doubt ready, prepared and fired up. i have said it all year, if their line play improves, much like Fairview, they will be a tough out. Raceland may very well have their hands full.
I don't want anyone to attempt to discredit the Paintsville effort, and I know that is not what you are trying to do here, just wanted to clairfy. PHS was not missing any linemen.

I also wanted to add, because it deserves recognition and perfectly exemplifies what kind of player he is, that Cody Estep did suffer a major foot injury early in the 1st quarter. The report I have seen shows a couple of broken bones coupled with torn ligaments that will require a rather uncommon surgery. Unfortunately, it looks like there is a chance he may miss a majority of, if not all of, his senior year of baseball. Recovery time is projected 6-8 months. And that is absolutely heartbreaking for everyone who knows Cody. He is the ultimate competitor and has a deep understanding for what it means to wear the Maroon and White. The true testament to what kind of kid he is, is that he battled through what looks like a devastating injury and only missed a few plays.

He continued to play until the game was over. He informed staff of his injury and that it would limit him, but he would do whatever he could to help the team. He knew he was not himself, but when it got late, he wanted the ball to try to spark a rally. After the game, he struggled to get off the field on his own. He did what you often hear asked. He left everything he had on the field. And as a PHS Alum, I could not be proud of the legacy he will leave at PHS. I wanted to share, because the last image of Cody Estep as a Panther Football player should illustrate the true individual he is and all he has done for PHS. As well as the other seniors that will step off the field for the last time.
^^^gotcha. and i agree when Raceland was able to shut him down last year in the Region Finale, it wast do to a lack of effort. kid has a hell of alot heart.
He was a pheonominal player. I hope he has a full recovery and is back in time for baseball.