Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wayne County Faithful: What Kind Of Offense Will I See Against E'town?
It's hard to figure out your team, but I do NOT mean that in a negative fashion.

What I mean is, it doesn't appear to an outsider that Wayne County has an offensive identity.

I know about last year's run, and I thought I'd see more of the pass-happy, spread-you-out attack Friday when the Cardinals come to E'town.

Based on some video I've watched and stats I've scoured, it appears Wayne has decided to go to a run-first, pass-second attack.

If I'm completely off base here, I do apologize. I mean no ill will.

I guess to sum it up: What gives?
Why does that equal no identity? "it appears Wayne has decided to go to a run-first, pass-second attack" looks like an identity.
Imagine our surprise when it worked!!!

I think our staff looked at our skill available and adjusted. To be honest I think it makes us a nightmare to prep for.
Wayne has a very quarterback. If you overplay the run he will light you up.
Iam4thecats Wrote:Why does that equal no identity? "it appears Wayne has decided to go to a run-first, pass-second attack" looks like an identity.

Not dogging them by any means.

Just when you made a name for yourself by doing certain things -- i.e. passing a lot last year -- and have success with it and then suddenly radically change, you lose your "identity".

As a spectator from the opponent, am I seeing smashmouth? Spread? Pistol.
Spread with a surprisingly agile d-line..... Qb will be a good one with a lil more experience under his belt. Don't overlook them....
Also, don't read the book by lookin at its cover..... Those lil guys are tough
Is the freshman starting at QB? Simpson?
Yes.
Got a couple of frosh guys starting.
cksportsfan Wrote:Not dogging them by any means.

Just when you made a name for yourself by doing certain things -- i.e. passing a lot last year -- and have success with it and then suddenly radically change, you lose your "identity".

As a spectator from the opponent, am I seeing smashmouth? Spread? Pistol.

You are over estimating the amount of passes last year. They have a good coach who uses his people well. They haven't changed the system they run, they are just calling the game to fit this team. It has always had 1 back elements, 2 back elements, and even 2 tight elements. You're still mistaken with the word identity. The tenure of this coach if anything features a DEFENSIVE " identity". UK runs the same offense this year as last, did they change their identity? They have a real qb now where there was a receiver playing the position last year.
cksportsfan Wrote:As a spectator from the opponent, am I seeing smashmouth? Spread? Pistol.

You stated earlier that you saw film, so what did you see?
Iam4thecats Wrote:You stated earlier that you saw film, so what did you see?

I'm sure the formations and plays called can be seen on film Smile
Wayne is well coached but real young this year. If you overlook them they could bite you.
I think something nobody has mentioned is Wayne County rushed for over 300 yards in their opener at Monroe County before injuries just killed their offensive backfield. This was going to be a run heavy team mixed with maybe 15 pass attempts per game, but injuries more than anything led to a pass happy attack in the middle of the season.
Now to answer the question I think you will see a physical and punishing style of offense that will make the most of match ups in passing game as well. Their offensive line play will be a huge key tonight.
Wayne County likely has the kind of offense that will be hard to stop in the first round of the playoffs Smile
Jewell Field Fan Wrote:I think something nobody has mentioned is Wayne County rushed for over 300 yards in their opener at Monroe County before injuries just killed their offensive backfield. This was going to be a run heavy team mixed with maybe 15 pass attempts per game, but injuries more than anything led to a pass happy attack in the middle of the season.
Now to answer the question I think you will see a physical and punishing style of offense that will make the most of match ups in passing game as well. Their offensive line play will be a huge key tonight.

That's information that DOESN'T show up when you look at totals (rushes, Yards) game by game and not go further (carries for player, jersey numbers in backfield, etc.).

With Wayne, saw some of the Rock footage. If there was a team for Wayne to spread out, Rock was it. Not quick and athletic by any means. But didn't spread them out as much as I thought. Turned into two teams going nose-to-nose in the trenches.

Teams that have beaten E'town have success in the air. South Warren, Bullitt Central (even with Carnell at RB) and Louisville Central have burned the Panthers deep. All three tight ends (South Warren, Bullitt Central, Louisville Central) had big days against E'town.

Henry and Glasgow (D-I running back Marquez Trigg), two run run run teams, just got waxed by E'town because they couldn't move the ball in the air and repeatedly tried to establish something on the ground and got no where.

Thus the question about Wayne. This was supposed to be a team which could go to the air if it wanted, but recent footage had shown more running. Maybe because that's what opposing defenses. But if you're an E'town team trying to prepare for what Wayne does in the passing game, it was awfully hard to get a true feel for it.

I know Wayne's gonna be nasty in a few years. Just glad E'town gets to play them NOW instead of then (when these frosh and sophs are juniors and seniors).

Even then, I do NOT think E'town is an overwhelming favorite.

If you can pass, E'town's in trouble.
And I know Wayne CAN pass, just don't know how gung-ho they are about it to do it on a full-time basis tonight, because I have my doubts their running game is gonna get much.

If Wayne decides to going back to opening it up, that bus ride home just got a lot happier and will feel a lot shorter. Smile
Guffey was an unreal QB last year, a 4 year starter. He also had some really good WR's all of them graduated. With a freshman QB I think Coach Thompson decided to run the ball more like they did a few years ago. That is called coaching. Don't try to force a round peg into a square hole.
Thompson has done a great job and with all the young kids Wayne has played I expect they will be very dangerous next year.