Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayfield 16 Russellville 8 Final
Final
WOW, this one took everything the Cards had to squeeze by the Panthers.. Russellville got on the board 1st late in the 1st qtr by scoring a touchdown and converting a 2 pt conversion, making it 8-0.. Mayfield was able to manage a field goal late in the 2nd qtr to make the score 8-3 Russellville, at the half.. The Panthers got the ball 1st to start the 2nd half, picking up a couple of 1st downs, but, eventually forced to punt, but, did run 6:00 minutes off the clock.. On the Cards 2nd possession on the 2nd half, they finally managed to punch in a score, but, failed on there 2 pt conversion, making the score 9-8 going into the 4th. After trading a couple of punts, Russellville had the ball at there own 23 yd line and fumbled, giving the Cards the ball back at the Panther 26.. A few plays later, they were able to punch another one in and kicking the PAT to go up 16-8.. The Panthers took over the ensuing kickoff to there own 24 yd line, where they marched it all the way down to the Cards 14 yd line, where they ended up turning it over on downs on a 4th and 9 from the 14 with just over a minute remaining. Mayfield then took a couple of knees and you had your final.. 16-8 Mayfield..

This game was a penalty fest on both sides and neither team ever seemed to get in rhythm offensively, but, if you're a defensive minded football fan, it didn't disappoint. Hard hitting from both sides. Russellvilles team speed gave the Cards fits all night and they have several serious looking athletes.. There line held there own, as well. Mayfield's Landon Arnett was pressured all night long and the Cards never got there passing game going, but, the combination of Bright and Tyler in the backfield and another stingy defensive effort by the Cards was just enough to carry them through..
I said it would end about like last years Reg final between these 2. Looks like they are both just about on par w each other. The 2nd game between these two is going to be very interesting, should it happsn.
Bethlehem beat Holy Cross tonight, 20-19. It looks like a 3-way tie in District 2. (if KCD beats Caverna)
Anyone know who wins the tiebreaker?
Looks like Mayfield should climb back into the top 5 in 1A this week Confusednicker:
squeaked by the cupcake? Confusednicker:
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Looks like Mayfield should climb back into the top 5 in 1A this week Confusednicker:

West is much weaker than I thought. Confusederiously:
Or maybe Rville is just better than we thought
64SUR Wrote:West is much weaker than I thought. Confusederiously:

:biglmao:
I wouldn't call the west weak, at all.. Mayfield doesn't have the offensive firepower of past teams, but, there defense will keep them in most games and there offense is good enough to get them thru.. Beechwood is very solid this year and Frankfort is no slouch, probably about equal with Hazard. And anyone who sells Russellville short, would be doing them a big injustice.. They're tough as nails and will lay the wood to you. They also have tremendous speed. It's not often Mayfield runs into a team with more speed and athleticism, but, the Panthers were the faster team and they have athletes all over the field. There line play is also very good and that's where I thought Mayfield would have the advantage and honestly, they were about equal and more than held there own.. I'm worried about having to play them again in the regionals. I fully expect another full 4 qtr game that could go either wat..
Congrats to Mayfield. Get to do it again in a couple of weeks.
If we keep getting penalties like this Caldwell will put us on the wrong side of a running clock next week. It dang sure needs to be fixed by the 3rd round of the playoffs.
looks like this one was much closer than many anticipated. Russellville may be peaking at the right time.
55 you got some splainin to do!
Congrats to Mayfield on what sounds like a hard-fought victory tonight.
Congrads on Mayfield on the tough win.. Russellville played tough and we best keep an eye on them..
They just seem to play us harder than expected. Esp when we go there. I remember 2 years ago when JJ and crew went there and we fully expected to win that one big. We didn't get the lead back til just before the half on a blocked punt. Last year was the same thing. We were expecting a big win. They came in and put up 21 before we knew what happened. We finally doubled them up in the second half. In the playoffs last year the second time around we shut them down. Now, the 3rd yr in a row they smacked us in the mouth early on. But, in each of those we still came out on top. So, we are still okay. I would say they will be at War Memorial in the third round. I think our staff will be more prepared for them the next time. I noticed the talk about our line play. I think we did control the line play from the end of the first on, on the defensive side. They did move the ball much after that first drive until the desperation drive near the end of the game. We still held them below the average of 9 points per game.
Russellville didn't dominate the LOS, but, they certainly held there own.. Holding Mayfield's offense to 16 points is pretty good. Our lowest output of the year. Mayfield scored on a short field caused by a turnover and 1 long run by Bright. Outside of that, they were toe to toe and Arnett didn't have time for his receivers to get open and got sacked several times. Look at how many times Mayfield was forced to punt, also. On the other side of the ball, Rsv had the long drive in the 1st qtr and did it all on the ground and even though they didn't score again, they did put together a few other sustained drives. They ate up 6 minutes in the opening drive of the 2nd half and they put a 60 yard drive together late, at a time in the game when Mayfields depth should have been a factor. So, I would disagree that Mayfields line controlled things after the 1st qtr. I wouldn't say Rsv did either, but, it was fairly even, imo.
Disagree all you want but your wrong. The running game up the middle from the first scoring drive on was shut down to the point that the longest run up the middle for the Panthers was 5 yards. They were forced into trickery, end arounds and the late passing attack. That late drive you speak of was all passing and a couple of those passes they were lucky to call catch.
The paducah sun didn't show crap on this game stat wise. Anyone know what the final tally on penalties, and yards of offense were. Probably was almost as many penalty yards as yards of offense with all those punts.
Russellville
184 rushing yards
65 passing yards

Mayfield
166 rushing yards
58 passing yards

Not sure about the final tally on penalties. Halftime tally is on the game thread.
mayfield_9 Wrote:Russellville
184 rushing yards
65 passing yards

Mayfield
166 rushing yards
58 passing yards

Not sure about the final tally on penalties. Halftime tally is on the game thread.

They out rushed and out passed Mayfield, but, Mayfield's line controlled the LOS...Okay, whatever.. Funny in the 1st drive of the 2nd half, when they ran off 6 minutes, Quarlles picked up 2 or 3 big 3rd down carries straight up the middle to keep drives alive.. I'm a Mfd fan all the way, but, I'm not going to be convinced that we controlled the LOS.. The stats don't show it. We did okay, but it was fairly even and I don't care what anyone says.. It was 2 even lines going at it. We won some battles and they won some battles..
The first drive was 70 yards for the score. The last passing drive went for 70 yards. That is 140 yards of their 259 total yards. So yes, you take away that first drive and our defense controlled the line of scrimmage. That is 119 yards thru about 3 quarters. Their defensive line did a very good job of neutralizing ours as well. But when all is said and done on the final most important stat line it was 16-8. They still haven't beat us and won't at home. The great equalizer for them won't be present at our field. They showed everything and I can tell you for sure we didn't. I think this was actually the best thing that could happen for our bunch. They now understand that teams are not gonna lay down for them.
What I don't get is how the ref crew throws a sideline warning on them in the first half and then allows Coach Myers to remain almost every down 5 yards out onto the field arguing and calling plays. I do like the man but, that is most definitely a penalty. The Hazard coach got thrown out for less this year.
I didn't attend this game, but from the way they talked on the radio there was some massive hits.
mayfield_9 Wrote:Bethlehem beat Holy Cross tonight, 20-19. It looks like a 3-way tie in District 2. (if KCD beats Caverna)
Anyone know who wins the tiebreaker?

1. Holy Cross (17 points)
2. Bethlehem (15 points)
3. KCD (9 points)
4. Caverna

Bethlehem plays Bracken Co. who has zero wins, no help there.
KCD plays Trimble Co. who has 3 wins, could move them to 11 points.
So there are the District 2 seedings for the playoffs.
Give Russellville some credit here. They are a good team. Mayfield may have been off a little bit but part of that was created by a good Russellville team.
55 needs to watch if he advises Russellvile much, they may face them again and then could take all that good coaching and beat his butt.
topnotch Wrote:55 needs to watch if he advises Russellvile much, they may face them again and then could take all that good coaching and beat his butt.

:thatsfunn