Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harlan County football on Al Jazeera-America
Here's the story that was shot in Harlan County during the Johnson Central game.

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/20...ights.html
I don't understand what was the news, I thought this was a well known result of this Admistration. It surprises me that one party in ky gets the Coal fields vote solid and that party gives them back heart ach and welfare. every time. this time it is to late it is all gone. ,
I don't think it's news to anyone in Eastern Kentucky that people are looking elsewhere for jobs...

but to people outside of Kentucky they may not know.
Gut buddy, I just have to know.....are you a regular Al-Jazeera watcher?Confusednicker:
Well it turned out not being what we all feared..It's unusual to see anything documented on eastern Kentucky where we are not intentionally made fun of or belittled..Actually I thought this was tastefully done. A much better report on the difficulties of actual life here in the mountains than what we have seen from Dan Rather and Diane Sawyer the last few years when they have come here with the sole intentions to make us look ridiculous.
Correct me if I'm wrong but no mention of Religion or Prayer was really the topic of this report and from what I read after the HC/JC game that is what all the fuss was about.
papagrit Wrote:Gut buddy, I just have to know.....are you a regular Al-Jazeera watcher?Confusednicker:
I have never watched Al-Jazeera before but if this is any indication of the reporting that they do, I would be more inclined to watch it rather than the slanted versions of news reporting that we get on all of the other networks. What happened to the news just being reported for what it is, that simply just being the news. I don't want to hear their opinion on things. I can come up with mine all by myself.
termite Wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but no mention of Religion or Prayer was really the topic of this report and from what I read after the HC/JC game that is what all the fuss was about.

Based on the recent history of liberal news media reporting and twisting the facts to suite their own agenda, it was only natural to be suspicious that that was the intentions of Al-Jazeera this time as well. Who could ever have imagined that they were going to do an actual report on something without an attempt to slant something to appease an idealistic view a certain group behind the scenes may have.
Feel better about things Granny Bear?...Ended up not being what we speculated.
papagrit Wrote:Gut buddy, I just have to know.....are you a regular Al-Jazeera watcher?Confusednicker:

I'll give you one guess.:rage:
Bob Seger Wrote:Feel better about things Granny Bear?...Ended up not being what we speculated.

I do! My biggest objection to them was the intrusive behavior when filming the prayer by the team at the end of the game. This is one in a series of reports that they had planned to make.

I hope the others are as objective as this one was.
All five stories in this series are now published online.

Just search their website for the reporters name that did this story and you can see them all.

Most of them let the people being interviewed tell the story, but she does draw her own conclusions a few times.

I know a lot of you guys got freaked out by their name and jumped to conclusions...
but I've regularly watched Al Jazeera America for a while now and I find it more informative than your typical left slanted news and the right slanted Fox News.

You would be surprised how often they are in Kentucky and Eastern Kentucky especially.
I thought Al-Jazeers was the name of that station ISIS is using?
zaga_fan Wrote:All five stories in this series are now published online.

Just search their website for the reporters name that did this story and you can see them all.

Most of them let the people being interviewed tell the story, but she does draw her own conclusions a few times.

I know a lot of you guys got freaked out by their name and jumped to conclusions...
but I've regularly watched Al Jazeera America for a while now and I find it more informative than your typical left slanted news and the right slanted Fox News.

You would be surprised how often they are in Kentucky and Eastern Kentucky especially.

I have to agree!!
baseball1974 Wrote:I thought Al-Jazeers was the name of that station ISIS is using?

ISIS isn't "using" any station.

Al Jazeera is the only news organization in the Middle East that's capable of sharing quality material with our brands here in the United States.

So when you see a lot of stuff on tv about ISIS it has the Al Jazeera logo...
it's simply because they are the ones that got their hands on it first.

Just like every time you see the Ray Rice footage it has that goofy TMZ watermark on it.
I also felt like the story was a pretty down the middle reporting piece. It does feel a bit manufactured however in the sense that "people here are wondering which senate candidate has the solutions" (paraphrasing).

I mean is the population of Harlan County really seriously invested in the United States Senate race ongoing? If so, that is awesome. I just have doubts that voters ANYWHERE in Kentucky are truly asking those important questions. I find it more probable that Al-Jazeera wanted to do a piece on the Kentucky Senate race and this was a nice way to do so while bringing up the issue of coal's decline.
PaytoPlay Wrote:I also felt like the story was a pretty down the middle reporting piece. It does feel a bit manufactured however in the sense that "people here are wondering which senate candidate has the solutions" (paraphrasing).

I mean is the population of Harlan County really seriously invested in the United States Senate race ongoing? If so, that is awesome. I just have doubts that voters ANYWHERE in Kentucky are truly asking those important questions. I find it more probable that Al-Jazeera wanted to do a piece on the Kentucky Senate race and this was a nice way to do so while bringing up the issue of coal's decline.

I also thought the senate race comment felt like it was forced.
BUT if you're paying attention to the senate race then you know that jobs and coal are the issues that will win the election.

This story was one of five... and the senate race came up multiple times in the series with one story being solely about the senate race and the groups outside of Kentucky that were spending money to get their candidate elected.

I will end in saying that without a senate race that was drawing national attention... these stories would have never aired.
I had my speculations especially after they seemed very interested in the prayers before and after the game. Wouldn't be surprised if that does come up, but they are a very reputable news agent up there with Fox and CNN. They have no barriers they report the news and mostly unbiased truth. The only Muslim/foreigner listed on their website is the CEO, every one else is American!
It's just the biased, prejudice of Eastern Kentucky in me I just don't trust them.
Both my grandfathers were coal miners their whole lives. Well, that is until black lung and other job-related medical issues basically made them both invalids by their early sixties. In no uncertain terms, they both steered me away from that miners' lifestyle, though, and today I am eternally grateful for their guidance.

I was in high school in the mid-1970s, and distinctly remember being told that the coal industry was declining, and coupled with my two pawpaws' advice, I decided to go to college instead of working in the mines. All my 19-year-old buddies with their new single-wide trailers and UMWA cards just laughed at me for my choices, but I stuck to my decision and got my college degree. Ended up getting two of them, actually. Good move on my part.

I'm from these mountains and I truly empathize with those currently affected by the declining coal industry, but no one can say we haven't been hearing the warnings for two generations now. It's past time to evolve.
I too was pleasantly surprised with the two series of the five that I have seen. They definitely put their liberal spin on things. I recall on the first one how they rebutted a local coal operator's comment about the decline of coal happening when Obama took office. The reporter claimed it was back in 2000. Not true. They also said that all the coal seams were mined out. Not true. They spoke of how expensive it was to mine coal here in Eastern Kentucky compared to Western Kentucky but didn't go on to explain about Coal severance tax here and how the cost is also increased because we've been neglected for funding in our state capital for funding our ROADS!!!!!

I'm happy that Gitback Coach's choice to go on to college worked out well for him. I too am pushing for my sons to get their college degree, but I will say this, the coal miners I've known all my life didn't live in single wide trailers. The miners I know who live in Harlan County made a very very good living and have prospered. My family worked outside the mines and did general contract work, some surface mining, and any and everything else above ground. My Papaw who recently passed away started a little contracting business 50 years ago and my daddy took over when he retired and he prospered, but my brother, who would now be the owner has not had work due to the current administration and our President's promise to shut down coal plants. We never went without growing up and had more than some, less than others. My point being just because they chose to earn a living in the coal industry doesn't mean you failed. It is only recently that we've been completely tossed under the bus by our government. It's a hard and dirty job but our men here were willing to work. The whole point of their piece is....Obama has shut us down....now what?!

To tie this back into football, it's been such a joy to go to games on Friday nights and forget the worries we all face here. We have that beautiful school built from mostly Coal severance tax and we have that spectacular stadium which was helped funded by a local coal operator who wanted to give back to the community a site where coal miners' children, grandchildren, and great grand children can go enjoy themselves. Our Black Bears are down this year but they'll be back. Hopefully things can happen politically so our coal miners can get back to get back to work.
Mama, "the best post EVER on this site!!!!!!!"
Where is that communist news papers head quarters in this country. I don't think they could come to Williamsburg's stadium and do that, unless they came without any one knowing about it.
I know some dudes here that would love to greet them.
Mama Bear Wrote:I too was pleasantly surprised with the two series of the five that I have seen. They definitely put their liberal spin on things. I recall on the first one how they rebutted a local coal operator's comment about the decline of coal happening when Obama took office. The reporter claimed it was back in 2000. Not true. They also said that all the coal seams were mined out. Not true. They spoke of how expensive it was to mine coal here in Eastern Kentucky compared to Western Kentucky but didn't go on to explain about Coal severance tax here and how the cost is also increased because we've been neglected for funding in our state capital for funding our ROADS!!!!!

I'm happy that Gitback Coach's choice to go on to college worked out well for him. I too am pushing for my sons to get their college degree, but I will say this, the coal miners I've known all my life didn't live in single wide trailers. The miners I know who live in Harlan County made a very very good living and have prospered. My family worked outside the mines and did general contract work, some surface mining, and any and everything else above ground. My Papaw who recently passed away started a little contracting business 50 years ago and my daddy took over when he retired and he prospered, but my brother, who would now be the owner has not had work due to the current administration and our President's promise to shut down coal plants. We never went without growing up and had more than some, less than others. My point being just because they chose to earn a living in the coal industry doesn't mean you failed. It is only recently that we've been completely tossed under the bus by our government. It's a hard and dirty job but our men here were willing to work. The whole point of their piece is....Obama has shut us down....now what?!

To tie this back into football, it's been such a joy to go to games on Friday nights and forget the worries we all face here. We have that beautiful school built from mostly Coal severance tax and we have that spectacular stadium which was helped funded by a local coal operator who wanted to give back to the community a site where coal miners' children, grandchildren, and great grand children can go enjoy themselves. Our Black Bears are down this year but they'll be back. Hopefully things can happen politically so our coal miners can get back to get back to work.

As I stated in my post, Granny, my buddies owned single-wides when they were 19, which was a lot more than I could afford as a poor college student at the same age. But yeah, they did "graduate" to the deluxe, wider trailers as their mining careers progressed and their families grew. Only a few have had to downsize since then, that it know of.

Bless your heart. I hope you're right and the coal business in eastern KY comes roaring back, but all signs, trends and markets seem to suggest otherwise. If/when it happens, though, I'll be sure to crank up my 8-track stereo extra-loud and cruise up and down US 119 once again.

Good luck to Harlan County.
I saw just a bit ago where Brett Baer, Fox News, was going to be talking about the economy tonight on his show with some folks from Harlan Co. thought I'd let those that might be interested know. :welcome:
Gitback Coach Wrote:As I stated in my post, Granny, my buddies owned single-wides when they were 19, which was a lot more than I could afford as a poor college student at the same age. But yeah, they did "graduate" to the deluxe, wider trailers as their mining careers progressed and their families grew. Only a few have had to downsize since then, that it know of.

Bless your heart. I hope you're right and the coal business in eastern KY comes roaring back, but all signs, trends and markets seem to suggest otherwise. If/when it happens, though, I'll be sure to crank up my 8-track stereo extra-loud and cruise up and down US 119 once again.

Good luck to Harlan County.

That post was by Mama Bear, not me. But thank you for the compliment anyway!! Smile

I could be wrong, but I believe our aggravation at Obama stemmed from his promise to bankrupt coal companies. That was stated back in 2008. Lots of propaganda has been popping up lately, too such as the lie that there are few or no coal reserves left. That's simply not true.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/p-j-gladnic...l-industry

From Obama:

Let me sort of describe my overall policy.

What I've said is that we would put a cap and trade system in place that is as aggressive, if not more aggressive, than anybody else's out there.

I was the first to call for a 100% auction on the cap and trade system, which means that every unit of carbon or greenhouse gases emitted would be charged to the polluter. That will create a market in which whatever technologies are out there that are being presented, whatever power plants that are being built, that they would have to meet the rigors of that market and the ratcheted down caps that are being placed, imposed every year.

So if somebody wants to build a coal-powered plant, they can; it's just that it will bankrupt them because they're going to be charged a huge sum for all that greenhouse gas that's being emitted.

That will also generate billions of dollars that we can invest in solar, wind, biodiesel and other alternative energy approaches.

The only thing I've said with respect to coal, I haven't been some coal booster. What I have said is that for us to take coal off the table as a (sic) ideological matter as opposed to saying if technology allows us to use coal in a clean way, we should pursue it.

So if somebody wants to build a coal-powered plant, they can.
It's just that it will bankrupt them
Sort of makes you wonder, doesn't it?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/06/...d-company/
Bob Seger Wrote:Well it turned out not being what we all feared..It's unusual to see anything documented on eastern Kentucky where we are not intentionally made fun of or belittled..Actually I thought this was tastefully done. A much better report on the difficulties of actual life here in the mountains than what we have seen from Dan Rather and Diane Sawyer the last few years when they have come here with the sole intentions to make us look ridiculous.
I agree.
Iraq was on al jazeer also. I hope HC does better than they did.