Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville ranked #1 in 1A, #15 overall
Litratings. Don't shoot the messenger or the ratings. For entertainment purposes only (like all polls and ratings).

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/spo.../16051677/
For the record..

http://calpreps.com/2014/ratings/Kentucky_division.htm
Not surprised at all..Good for them.
I am very outspoken in my disdain for the Lit Ratings.

It's pretty clear the PCU's love Pikeville right now as well they should.

To me Mayfield is clearly #1... no questions asked. Not only do they have the historical leverage, but they have played a storng schedule and came through it looking good.

I think #2 and #3 is between two teams...Beechwood and Pikeville. Of those two Pikeville has the better resume.

I think #4 and #5 is between two teams...Frankfort and Wburg. A toss-up there.

I think #6 and #7 is between two teams, Hazard and Raceland. A toss-up there.

I think #8 is Russellville.... who has a chance to better their resume this week

I think #9 is Holy Cross.

I think #10 is between Paintsville, Fairview, and Campbellsville
looks familiar to see Pikeville at #1, and Beechwood at #2. A throwback to another time. Great to see this!
^Not going to defend Lit at all, but as someone said on here by the end of the year they are as accurate as anybody. If you look at this week's Litratings by and large they look pretty good. As for Mayfield being clear #1, I don't buy it (yet). Hazard already proved an exceptional team from the east can take down Mayfield. More than okay with everyone calling them #1 all year though.
I am fully aware of the accuracy of these rankings, but I'll be dadgummed if they don't look absolutely beautiful. Great to see PHS Football starting to elevate to the top of the conversation in KYHSFB!

Also, EKU is the man. He and I are on the same page about everything over the past weekend. He gets it. And he is one pf the brightest minds I have seen on any message board anywhere. BGR is lucky to have his input.
Ah geez. Talk about a target on the back. Hopefully Coach Mac bans all social media for the boys this week and tells them they've not earned #1 yet. I firmly believe they've played a better schedule than Beechwood, and as good of a schedule as Mayfield. I think the computers love Pikeville's opponents having a better W-L record than Mayfields, while being basically comparable. Beechwoods schedule gets the NKY bump that is automatically figured in, since they are programmed that very few teams east of the Winchester Wall are even decent. Honestly, all things being even between Mayfield and Pikeville (SOS, ETC), I think the edge should remain with the defending state champs. Oh well. Congrats, guys! Now, go out and PROVE you want this as badly as you seem to want it!
On a side note, 55 is going to blow a gasket on this one...:popcorn:

:biggrin:
jetpilot Wrote:On a side note, 55 is going to blow a gasket on this one...:popcorn:

Someone check on the feller. Maybe take him a drink of the magic water. This one will be fun when he comes out of shock.
Big Five-0- Wrote:looks familiar to see Pikeville at #1, and Beechwood at #2. A throwback to another time. Great to see this!
Don't it, though? Nice to see, I have to admit. Now, I'm gonna go get some popcorn and watch the Willyburg and 64sur and 55 show.

:popcorn:
PHSForever Wrote:Someone check on the feller. Maybe take him a drink of the magic water. This one will be fun when he comes out of shock.

The last part made me lol.Confusednicker:
jetpilot Wrote:^Not going to defend Lit at all, but as someone said on here by the end of the year they are as accurate as anybody. If you look at this week's Litratings by and large they look pretty good. As for Mayfield being clear #1, I don't buy it (yet). Hazard already proved an exceptional team from the east can take down Mayfield. More than okay with everyone calling them #1 all year though.

I actually don't even buy into that with the Lit Ratings.

Of the three CPU rankings typically come the end of October I would put Calpreps #1 and Cantrall #2 ahead of Lit.

They improve certainly..but they are never very good IMHO.

For me the Calpreps ratings typically are the best of the CPU polls throughout. They actually have a base number for every team around the country to start with so out of state games have real value. They also start out with some factual evidence to form their baseline taking into account historical trends, returning starters, and D-1 prospects.

Lit and Cantrall both start with a "magic number" but I am not sure where that number comes from. In my past experience though it seems Lit leans towards a Jefferson County and Western Kentucky bias... whereas Cantrall always seems to over value Lexington and NKY a little more.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I actually don't even buy into that with the Lit Ratings.

Of the three CPU rankings typically come the end of October I would put Calpreps #1 and Cantrall #2 ahead of Lit.

They improve certainly..but they are never very good IMHO.

For me the Calpreps ratings typically are the best of the CPU polls throughout. They actually have a base number for every team around the country to start with so out of state games have real value. They also start out with some factual evidence to form their baseline taking into account historical trends, returning starters, and D-1 prospects.

Lit and Cantrall both start with a "magic number" but I am not sure where that number comes from. In my past experience though it seems Lit leans towards a Jefferson County and Western Kentucky bias... whereas Cantrall always seems to over value Lexington and NKY a little more.

Why IMO one is not better than the other. I have always thought Cantrall always had a BIG NKY bias. We always called them the "Can't tell" ratings.
This is all great and fun to see, but like PHS Forever said, I hope no one shows the players. Great win Friday night, believe me, I'm still giddy. But I think in reality we all know Mayfield is way out front right now. Again, fun to celebrate the streak-ender, but time to shake off the red & white and focus on the yellow & black. I just hope this doesn't tick off our good friends in Williamsburg.
Does Maxpreps use CalPreps rankings or does CalPreps use Maxpreps?
I like it. Put the target on someone else's back. I have said many times that the rankings and ratings are just a gauge. Thank God in this situation, unlike NCAA, we actually get to have a playoff. I just hope we are #1 in the end.
mysonis55 Wrote:I like it. Put the target on someone else's back. I have said many times that the rankings and ratings are just a gauge. Thank God in this situation, unlike NCAA, we actually get to have a playoff. I just hope we are #1 in the end.
Dagnabbit. You've stolen the fun Jet and I were hoping you would provide us. It's not fair! Confusednicker:

Well, we can always count on 64sur and the new Williamsburgfans on here I hope. Confusednicker:
PHSForever Wrote:Dagnabbit. You've stolen the fun Jet and I were hoping you would provide us. It's not fair! Confusednicker:

Well, we can always count on 64sur and the new Williamsburgfans on here I hope. Confusednicker:

55 is just having fun laughing at 64 and topnotch's pain seeing their team struggle against a middle of the pack 2A team the same night Pikeville beats the consensus #1 3A team.
Something is eating at me. We can talk about computer rankings, coaches polls, Lit vs Cal vs Cantrall rankings all we want, but the fact of the matter is it doesnt amount to a hill of beans. For awhile now MF has been tops by a long shot. I dont think thats the case this year. Imo, on paper, the top four are all capable of winning or losing to eachother on any given night. I swear i will get back to my original point...

In the west its a 2 horse race between Mayfield and Beechwood.
In the east, as I state back in April, Pikeville, imo, is the most complete team. They have the credentials, signature win, and a tough schedule that has resulted in an unblemished record to prove that they are the Favorite in the east, on paper. They will be getting Cody Charles soon as well, which will make their defense even that much stronger. Williamsburg had a good win over Newport, but idk how much better Newport is than an Ashland or Prestonsburg, Coal Grove. All teams that Raceland and Pikeville hae beaten reapectively. Hazard looked solid for a half against Pikeville, then their defense fell victim to Mr. Pugh's massacre. If I were to rank the teams after this weekend Id say this:

1. Mayfield/Pikeville
2. Beechwood
3. Williamsburg(they may be legit, but hard to tell at this point due to their schedule, Wayne is no where near what they were last year either)
3. Frankfort (not completely sold on them yet.
4. Raceland/Hazard/Russellville(all have proven to be solid this season. Hazard and Raceland are very balanced offensively, but both have shown to let a big play get the better of them)

Imo, these are the only teams that can or will be getting a shot to play at Bowling Green.

Which brings me to my point. What do the rankings mean or what is their point other than giving has beens like all of us something to talk about? lol. Though MF imo is still the front runner for the title, imo. Im starting to see BW as a similar team to thise they havehad in te past. Wouldnt suprise me to see a BW/Pikeville title game. Still lots of unknowns to really gauge it all.
I been trying to tell everybody the west is weak......Confusednicker:
EKUAlum05 Wrote:55 is just having fun laughing at 64 and topnotch's pain seeing their team struggle against a middle of the pack 2A team the same night Pikeville beats the consensus #1 3A team.

Williamsburg is not struggling believe me :please: We just haven't play nobody that can play with us yet....Confusednicker:
Lit ratings still have Belfry ahead of Pikeville.
E's Army Wrote:Lit ratings still have Belfry ahead of Pikeville.
Overall, that's how it should be. They've played Henry Clay, Harlan County, Southwestern. Higher SOS, in my humble opinion. I realize that SOS is sometimes subjective, but fact is, they are a 3A school who, prior to the Pikeville game, had knocked off a strong 6A school and two good 5A. Harlan County is young, but still a good team. Pikeville has beat a strong Prestonsburg (2A), strong 1A Hazard, a down 1A Paintsville, mediocre 3A Sheldon Clark, and then the defending 3A champ Belfry. So while ours is very strong by 1A standards, so too is Belfry's by 3A standards.
jetpilot Wrote:On a side note, 55 is going to blow a gasket on this one...:popcorn:

:biglmao::biglmao::biglmao:Confusednicker::hilarious:

Me thinks he will too
E's Army Wrote:Lit ratings still have Belfry ahead of Pikeville.
I think that if Belfry and Pike played 10 times, Belfry would win 7. Both teams are solid, but I think Belfry is better. As far as them being ranked ahead of Mayfield, it will work itself out on the field soon enough.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

While cpu rankings are poor early I think by late in the year they are all pretty close

Congrats Pikeville, this may turn out to be a heck of a year in 1A
Scotty, don't try to put us at #1. We don't want that until we earn it. if we don't earn it, then we will work for next year. Ratings and rankings are just a gauge. It can sometimes be used to focus young players as well.

Already blow a gasket I had to post mayfield a thread....Marshall County @ Mayfield. Confusedhh: Mayfield is playing a marshmallow......thank goodness. :Sad04:
No gasket blown. We are right where we need to be. We will continue to work towards possibly getting number 11.