Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What we learned from 1A in week 2.
First of all, hats off to all the 1A schools that played up and either won or were competive this past Friday. Here are some things I noticed/saw/been thinking about.

Mayfield and Raceland. While they are not on the same level and both took losses, within those losses, they both saw growth. Imo, even though both teams find themselves at 1-1 coming in to their. 3rd game of the season. I think both schools are better than, even myself, expected. It took overtime for McCracken to edge out the 1pt "dominanation"(had to take a potshot their that was the dumbest headline i have ever seen...but i digress). Raceland showed alot of guts and heart in a comeback that fell about 50 yds and an interception short. Raceland's defense did a good job, imo at containing Ashland's speed outside of 3 plays. Ashland will probably put up 350-400 yds of offense on the ground alone over the next several weeks. I think Mayfield showed they are still Mayfield and Raceland showed that they may be more capable of repeating as the region champs than expected. The Rams MUST shore up the DL from C gap to C gap though. Mayfield just needs to continue to be Mayfield and get Bright into space.

Pikeville and Hazard. Both teams put on a clinic in three areas. How not to tackle off the edge, downfield blocking by wr, and trucking people as a running back. Both teams had troubles shutting down the D gaps, while Hazard had issues between the C gaps as well. It was a combination of not wrapping up and having a running back(Pugh/Jones) that were simply unloading on defenders. Both teams did a great job however, at getting down field and blocking. 3 of Pugh's TD wouldnt have happened had Maynard or Estep not been down field. Individually, Pikeville, as i called and expected, are not going to miss Chase Hall, and can still put points up in a hurry. Hazard, misses that sure handed big target down field in Hudson, but Morgan is capable and still growith into his roll as a leader. These two teams shore up the penalties and they will be a tough out come november.

Paintsville and Williamsburg. Paintsville looked solid, but nowhere near as impressive as some of us expected. Injuries have really hindered the "next step" being taken for the program. Many injuries that guys are not going to come back from. We will know more about Paintsville after their gsme with Pikeville. Williamsburg, not much to say here. They hae allowed fewer points tha anyone in the East thus far. Then again, they havent faced any offenses like Prestonsburg, Hazard, or Ashland. But, they didnt last year either and their defense only struggled in one game, that happened to be in BG. Their offense still puts up points, but I havent seen any fielm on them to get an idea of what exactly they are doing. Williamsburg is still a good football team.

So, thats my contribution to HS SINGLE A football for the day. Maybe someone could give a review of the other top 10 teams.
Missing Beechwood and Frankfort. They are two very solid teams.
I think Mayfield taking up-and-coming 6A power McCracken to OT before losing by 1 just told the rest of us what we already feared - in 1A, there's Mayfield and then there's everybody else. Tremendous program.
mysonis55 Wrote:Missing Beechwood and Frankfort. They are two very solid teams.

Did this on break. Thats why i asked if someone else could finish out the top 10. Imo, Raceland (at times) looked like a team that had the ability to shake the east up. If they can play with the intensity that they did the first 2 and 3/4 quarters, for an entire game and never let up, they will be tough for anyone to beat. Even Williamsburg dare I say it. For a team that was seemingly no more than a darkhorse for a legitimate shot at making the semis/finals (personally though this team could suprise some people...but wasnt sure if it would happen), Raceland has finally made me turn my head. A long way to go in fixing some things, but with what we saw in Ashland's Baker/Long/Prince, then down the road Lawrence Co's athetes and quickness up front, and Ironton/Coal Grove's physicality, Raceland will see a little bit of everything. This team is far from what I thought we would be.
But Mayfield having a 1st year QB....MEANS NOTHING. They are Mayfield and would probably win titles in the first 2 classes and challenge for the 3A as well. It just seems like the speed flocks to Mayfield in that part of the state.
Its hard for me to say how good may field is after just 2 games, but ft Campbell only lost to russellville by 2 points, so it looks to me like may field is pretty strong.
Mayfield does have good team speed and a couple of really solid RBs. They don't have the big play threat at WR that they've had in the past(Xavier Shelton, William Higginson, Jordan Brown, Deion Jackson), but, they do have some solid possession receivers that run it well enough to get some yards after catch. I think the main things seperating Mayfield from the rest of 1A is depth and fundamentals. They can afford for a couple of guys to go down and still be strong at the position. The coaching staff always has them in the right spot on the field, they're solid tacklers and the OL always stay with there blocks and are nearly flawless in pass blocking situations. It helps your RBs and QB when your line is doing the right things all the time.
Absolutely. Nothing more frustrating for a ab or rb than a 50+ yd td called back bc of a hold or block in the back. 9/10 if either of these things happen...ur lineman got beat.
Only thing I know is Williamsburg has the best Defense in the east.....An looking like pikeville may be the team hosting the semi- final game in pikeville......just sayin. :Clap:
Right now, going strictly on points scored against each defense, who scored those points, and what each defense returns from last year's teams. I hae to say Im at a cross roads. My head says, that Williamsburg hasnt faced a run game like Ashland's. I dot think they have seen the balance of a Prestonsburg or Pikeville. Williamsburg earned my reapect last year defensively, atleast as the eastern power. But, this is 2014 and Williamsburg's D hasnt been tested yet. I know one thing, Williamsburg's team speed was alot Faster than anyone else in the east last season. This year IDK if thats the case. The other eastern reps, have speed as well. I think Raceland and Pikeville may be on par with eachother. Williamsburg havig a slight edge just based on who came back. If Raceland would manage to beat Pikeville(if they meet in the region), would Hazard/Wburg have to come to Raceland for the semis?
I think they would haveto come to Raceland or Paintsville..Confusednicker:
We will know just where Paintsville stands. Raceland blasted Paintsville in both games last year. Paintsville looked REALLY good on paper about 4 months ago. Now they are more typical low top 10 1A squad. Two skill studs and a few descent lineman. I just dont see them becoming all they thought they would. Now if they had everyone healthy that would be an entire different story.
Teams sometime improve quite a bit from week 1 to week 3.
^^^i agree. Personally, when it comes down to it , if a team is doing things completely right, but barely edging out wins, or coming up short, then you lrobably wont get much better. But, seeing something like arm tackling and "catch tackling" are all things that can be fixed. And Dixon, McNamee, and Salmons, will have all of that worked out within the next few weeks. Of these three teams ONE will knock Williamsburg off in November. Im nkt quite sure who yet, leaning towards Pikeville, but someone will knock the jackets off.