Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlands 23 Campbell County 16
Final.

Close one.
Interested in some thoughts on this one. Off night for the birds or do the Camels have something.
^
Even Highlands fans admit this isn't the same type of usual Highlands team.

I think anybody could come away with 4A this year.
Camels have a lot more than something. Once they overcame first half flatness they showed their true colors. CC is for real.

What's ashame is the birdies will patronize us with talk of penalties and blah...It's ok folks, the Camels are closing the gap and can win their district if they continue to develop.

And maybe the transition from Coach Mueller to Coach W isn't as seamless as highlands folks make it out to be?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
^ No, I certainly don't expect to hear the Birds fans say anything about reffing. It was equally bad for both teams. What I am sure they will be impressed with is the hard hitting that the Camels did. On more than one occasion, the Camels put the wood on Bird receivers and left them on the ground.

The Camels were affected by miscues in the first half. The Birds clicked and made the Camels pay for their mistakes. Nobody should forget that this game was 23-0 at the half. I did not see the same level of execution from the Birds in the 2nd half, but some of that had to do with the 23-0 lead, so I'm not going to be naive here and say it was all Camels. But, the Camels did settle down in the 2nd half and played NKY 6A smash mouth football. The Birds looked worn down in the 4th quarter. I can't say that is what it was, but they certainly did not look sharp.

Now, CCH fans, don't take stock in this game as any indication that you have a chance against Highlands, because you do not! Meril Hodge's son is the REAL DEAL! When this team gets a few more games under their belt, they will be the typical HHS team of old. If the Birds do not make it to the Final Four this year, it will because of major loses of personnel.

As for the Camels, I was fearful that losing Wilson as the incoming QB would set this team back. What happened is that I think I just lost my catcher, because I don't think he will comeback to Baseball after what I saw from him tonight. Yes, he can run the football, but this Tim Tebow can THROW!!!!
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
Even Highlands fans admit this isn't the same type of usual Highlands team.

I think anybody could come away with 4A this year.

Mark my words, this IS the usual HHS team that has to start all over with a new QB just like they always do. But, they reload, and Meril Hodge's son will be reall good. And when the HHS QB's are good, they win STATE!!!! Bull Shit what the HHS fans will try to feed you, there is NOTHING wrong with this team!

No, they don't have size, but in their 700 State titles, they only had size in two of them!!!
^
Quit busting our dreams of a demise in Fort Thomas Confusednicker:
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
Quit busting our dreams of a demise in Fort Thomas Confusednicker:

I don't know... I think 4A is def up for grabs... that doesn't mean Highlands wont win it... its just up for grabs is all.
^
Agreed.
Stardust Wrote:^ No, I certainly don't expect to hear the Birds fans say anything about reffing. It was equally bad for both teams. What I am sure they will be impressed with is the hard hitting that the Camels did. On more than one occasion, the Camels put the wood on Bird receivers and left them on the ground.

The Camels were affected by miscues in the first half. The Birds clicked and made the Camels pay for their mistakes. Nobody should forget that this game was 23-0 at the half. I did not see the same level of execution from the Birds in the 2nd half, but some of that had to do with the 23-0 lead, so I'm not going to be naive here and say it was all Camels. But, the Camels did settle down in the 2nd half and played NKY 6A smash mouth football. The Birds looked worn down in the 4th quarter. I can't say that is what it was, but they certainly did not look sharp.

Now, CCH fans, don't take stock in this game as any indication that you have a chance against Highlands, because you do not! Meril Hodge's son is the REAL DEAL! When this team gets a few more games under their belt, they will be the typical HHS team of old. If the Birds do not make it to the Final Four this year, it will because of major loses of personnel.

As for the Camels, I was fearful that losing Wilson as the incoming QB would set this team back. What happened is that I think I just lost my catcher, because I don't think he will comeback to Baseball after what I saw from him tonight. Yes, he can run the football, but this Tim Tebow can THROW!!!!

So Cov Cath doesn't have a chance- yet Campbell comes within a touchdown. A Campbell team that Cov Cath was beating 28-14 at the end of the 3rd quarter when the JV's for both teams came in to make it a 42-14 final.
I respect Campbell Co but you don't think that once Cov Cath gets a few games under their belt, that they might have a couple things to say about that game too?
Good to hear Hodge's son is a player. Meril was a warrior at Pittsburgh.
One thing I do know it was good to see Campbell Co step up and play the birds versus a very weak team like Holy Cross
Not the Highlands teams we're accustomed to seeing, but not a huge cause for concern in week one. New QB. NEW HEAD COACH. Very improved CCHS squad. These things all add up. We got there late and walked in just as the scoreboard ticked from 16-0 to 22-0, then aside from the extra point we saw nothing but sloppy play from Highlands. Hoge was off target. WAY too many false starts. I'd hate to be those boys in practice this week. I've got a feeling that the wrath of BW will be nasty. 4A will not be a cakewalk this year, but you knew that would eventually come around.
Week one, people. Week one. Highlands and CCHS will both be okay when Halloween rolls around.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Cannon Still Roars.....
bluedad1 Wrote:So Cov Cath doesn't have a chance- yet Campbell comes within a touchdown. A Campbell team that Cov Cath was beating 28-14 at the end of the 3rd quarter when the JV's for both teams came in to make it a 42-14 final.
I respect Campbell Co but you don't think that once Cov Cath gets a few games under their belt, that they might have a couple things to say about that game too?

Lol, were you at the Cov Cath/Campbell scrimmage? Do you know how many points the Camel JV gave up? I do! Come on, the sky isNOT falling in Ft. Thomas. Good gawd, I never thought I would have saw HHS fans believe the end is nigh! I guess we should all start planning for Armageddon, because the world we now know is over.
nky Wrote:One thing I do know it was good to see Campbell Co step up and play the birds versus a very weak team like Holy Cross

Come on, that's BAD!!! You mean THE Holy Cross team that WON the state Championship the year before????? Yeah, I'm sure the Camels knew the wheels were going to fall off a team that had been better than GOOD for the previous fiver years...... Bad, real bad comment!
Could this be the year Cov Cath takes down Highlands?
^ Umm, no!

It will be fun for all those who want to dream that the Birds have finally have hit the skids, so have at it. I'll reply again after the Birds vanquish those dreams again....
^
I always thought the same thing until a certain QB from Collins threw his balls to the endzone for a state title win Confusednicker:
High school teams live and die with head coaches. Highlands will always be good. But Dale Mueller's Highlands was a different level. There's a certain mystique that comes with certain men in charge, and when you lose that, maybe you lose the air of invincibility as well. Cov Cath apparently was awfully sharp in dismantling Dixie Heights. As a mostly neutral observer who doesn't really like either one but has respect, and who has seen the pendulum swing and swing back in the last decade, it may be time for a new king of that hill.

Not an indictment of HHS or their coaching choice. Still think they're top 3 material in their class. Just there may be a chink or two in the armor that had no chinks until last December.
Stardust Wrote:Come on, that's BAD!!! You mean THE Holy Cross team that WON the state Championship the year before????? Yeah, I'm sure the Camels knew the wheels were going to fall off a team that had been better than GOOD for the previous fiver years...... Bad, real bad comment!
Two seasons ago by the wayConfusednicker: Any way it's not the same in Latonia as it was then, they are not getting the same players and the lower levels have seen low numbers. Campbell Co stepped up to playa quailty team kt will help them in the long run.
They won't win state
Stardust Wrote:Come on, that's BAD!!! You mean THE Holy Cross team that WON the state Championship the year before????? Yeah, I'm sure the Camels knew the wheels were going to fall off a team that had been better than GOOD for the previous fiver years...... Bad, real bad comment!

I think that was more of a shot at the schedule of the Mighty Pioneers of Simon Kenton rather than CCHS.:pondering::trolldad2:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Cannon Still Roars.....
I don't care how you slice it, the Birds looked awful apart from Hoge and Venneman. CCH will double cover Venneman and will key on Hoge and they will name the score as a result. Highlands is a two man show this year.
Yes as a matter of fact I was at the Cov Cath/ Campbell scrimmage- I'm a fan of Cov Cath. As I stated, it was 28-14 Cov Cath over Campbell after three quarters. The 4th quarter was all JV where 14 more points were scored by Cov Cath. I'm pretty sure that's what I wrote the first time.
Campbell County has a fine team. FTH should learn from this game. I sure hope so.
If he can. Weinrick just needs to coach them up
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:I don't care how you slice it, the Birds looked awful apart from Hoge and Venneman. CCH will double cover Venneman and will key on Hoge and they will name the score as a result. Highlands is a two man show this year.

Ahhhh, there he is! I've missed you on the other site. Not really! Good ole whackem, never a loss for.............nevermind!
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:I don't care how you slice it, the Birds looked awful apart from Hoge and Venneman. CCH will double cover Venneman and will key on Hoge and they will name the score as a result. Highlands is a two man show this year.

that is a pretty good game plan although that is going to leave something wide open. I think that Campbell might be a little better than peeps think... give them a little credit. If Highlands gets any more banged up we will be in some trouble.
Feggins is sorely missed.
Feggins last week. 12 catches 184 yards. And 3 touchdowns