Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
T/HHS scrimmage
31-6 T over HHS in 3 quarter scrimmage.

First let me say do not take anything I say as Highlands could beat T, T was the best team on the field. But, both teams are shells of the dominate teams they were. When looking at T's score remember first play of game was a busted play on D that went 80 yards, two scores came on very short fields because of two unforced fumbles by HHS and a 4th gift that the refs gave them on a pass interference call on a 4th down play (refs did ok but this call even the T fans were laughing about). Highlands and the score make T look a lot better than what they are.

T: RB is big and fast and does not go down easy. QB was ok. D line and LB's are big and will be hard to run on. DB's looked like a weakness again, HHS WRs burned them 3-4 times and were WIDE open 3-4 times for TD's if not for terrible passes from Hodge and drops. HHS did not pass much tonight, but in a real game I think teams will exploit them.

HHS: I expected them to be down this year, but worse than expected. Hodge had a terrible opening night, missed wide open receivers and had a lot of trouble with handoffs with several fumbles. Did show signs of a good QB on some plays. HHS offense different look tonight; they tried to run between the tackles more tonight in 3 quarters than the past 4 years combined. No RB stood out, but not a lot of holes to run in. At WR, Vennamin (spelling) will not be able to be defended by anybody, but at this point I do not see any other WR's making much noise. The TE looked very very good (#85 forget name) but fought injuries last year and limped off field twice tonight. If he can stay on field, he will be big part of offense. On D: Poor tackling!! DB's were a problem last year and looks like it will again this year. Bright spot was goal line D, stopped T first and goal , and on second goal line stance made T work hard and they scored on 4th down.
HHS coach looked like he used this more as a scrimmage on O than old coach. The offense play calling was very limited and I would think he will open it up once the season starts. If not it is going to be a very different looking Highlands offense.

Both teams are beatable this year.
Could this be another year for Collins or do you expect a team like Warren Central to steal a title?
I expected HHS to be a little down this year but it wont last. Mueller leaving left a big hole that you cant replace with players, but in due time HHS will win or find someone who will.

sstack, who do you think has the best chance at taking 4A?
Ashland crushed Mason
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Could this be another year for Collins or do you expect a team like Warren Central to steal a title?
I expected HHS to be a little down this year but it wont last. Mueller leaving left a big hole that you cant replace with players, but in due time HHS will win or find someone who will.

sstack, who do you think has the best chance at taking 4A?

Good question. You have to remember it was trinity and next week they have Cincy X who is going to be much better than Trinity, so will not get a great feel for HHS until they play Campbell co to open up the season.
Cov Cath did not have it easy against Campbell Co tonight so not sure they are ready to take over 4A, Collins lost a lot from last year but bring back good coaching and players who believe. Central I feel is a good pick and remember they play Highlands regular season. I also like Lex Cath, they run the spread O very well. Boyle has a new shot of excitment.. Going to be interesting season. I think it is going to take a least 5-6 games to start to get a feel for all the teams.
T-CATS Wrote:Ashland crushed Mason

Mason is no Highlands, cov cath, boyle, lex cath, central, JC.
most disappointed in Hodge tonight. I know he had a lot of pressure tonight, but did not look comfortable at all. He was running into RB's on handoffs, fumbling ball on handoffs, miss WIDE!! open WR's for TD's, under threw the ball all night ( has to learn that he can not over throw to Venneman, he can fly). Thought her looked better last year so hopefully it is just early season rust. I think HHS misses Feggins more than I expected them too.
sstack Wrote:Good question. You have to remember it was trinity and next week they have Cincy X who is going to be much better than Trinity, so will not get a great feel for HHS until they play Campbell co to open up the season.
Cov Cath did not have it easy against Campbell Co tonight so not sure they are ready to take over 4A, Collins lost a lot from last year but bring back good coaching and players who believe. Central I feel is a good pick and remember they play Highlands regular season. I also like Lex Cath, they run the spread O very well. Boyle has a new shot of excitment.. Going to be interesting season. I think it is going to take a least 5-6 games to start to get a feel for all the teams.

I really wish these teams weren't breaking up after this year. Id love to see Highlands and Cov Cath stay in 4A and make that class similar to how fun 3A will be over the next few years.
Boyle is a team I expect to start taking over 4A now that Smith is back and Highlands and Cov Cath are heading back to 5A. It will most likely be a Boyle/Lex Cath region final that's really a state title game every year with some exceptions every few years like a Collins or Warren Central who pop up every now and then.
I for one am glad Trinity is regaining state dominance. It's nice to have a team representing the Commonwealth in the national rankings.
Real Badman Wrote:I for one am glad Trinity is regaining state dominance. It's nice to have a team representing the Commonwealth in the national rankings.

after watching T tonight, I think they are going to lose some games this year. The score against HHS is deceiving, very sloppy play by HHS led to some easy scores. the top teams on T's schedule are not going to give them the easy scoring drives Highlands did tonight. 28 of T's points came off busted play on D, 2 unforced turnovers and a terrible pass interference call, that led to an easy 80 yd score, two very short field scores and a series stopped on 4th down given back to them by bad call (refs did ok but that call was terrible). No sour grapes, just pointing out that these 4 plays made the score and T look much better than they are IMO. Even without these plays they are better than Highlands, let me make that clear.
Going strictly off of what stack is saying (and hes usually pretty good at predicting this) I think T will lose to the big out of state powers they will play just like they did last year.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Going strictly off of what stack is saying (and hes usually pretty good at predicting this) I think T will lose to the big out of state powers they will play just like they did last year.

Trinity just did not have the wow factor they usually have. Nice RB, QB looks above average, nice kicker, big D line and LB's. But just not the wow factor of the past.
^
That "wow" factor alone use to win them a lot of games. The biggest thing ive noticed the past couple of years is not hearing names like Brohm, Quick, etc all over the place. You use to always hear how T had some players that were already world beaters before they ever stepped on the field.
sstack Wrote:most disappointed in Hodge tonight. I know he had a lot of pressure tonight, but did not look comfortable at all. He was running into RB's on handoffs, fumbling ball on handoffs, miss WIDE!! open WR's for TD's, under threw the ball all night ( has to learn that he can not over throw to Venneman, he can fly). Thought her looked better last year so hopefully it is just early season rust. I think HHS misses Feggins more than I expected them too.

Felt much different about Hoge than you did. I like Hoge's smarts about the game. He can make decisions . The receivers dropped some catchable balls. They will get in sink and that will get better. Trinity is a great team. Love playing these games. It exposes what needs to be worked on.
tradition Wrote:Felt much different about Hoge than you did. I like Hoge's smarts about the game. He can make decisions . The receivers dropped some catchable balls. They will get in sink and that will get better. Trinity is a great team. Love playing these games. It exposes what needs to be worked on.

Their were some drops, like i mentioned. And he did have some nice throws. But are you going to tell me you did not see him bumping into the RB's, bobbling the ball many times trying to make had offs, dropped the ball several times, many under thrown balls? I like this kid and have been talking him up big, but not a good game by him. Hope it is just combination of T being a good team, and a little rust that got knocked off tonight. I still think he is going to have a great year at QB.
T-CATS Wrote:Ashland crushed Mason

So you beat a team that Highlands always struggles....

to try to keep from hanging a hundy on.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I really wish these teams weren't breaking up after this year. Id love to see Highlands and Cov Cath stay in 4A and make that class similar to how fun 3A will be over the next few years.
Boyle is a team I expect to start taking over 4A now that Smith is back and Highlands and Cov Cath are heading back to 5A. It will most likely be a Boyle/Lex Cath region final that's really a state title game every year with some exceptions every few years like a Collins or Warren Central who pop up every now and then.

Boyle and Catholic will be in 3A...Misprint maybe Gut?
bucslover68 Wrote:Boyle and Catholic will be in 3A...Misprint maybe Gut?

Yea, that's what I meant to say.
I mentioned how fun 3A was going to be earlier in the thread. My point was that I wish 4A was going to stick together so it could be more exciting, but its about to be gutted.

3A football will be the most fun class to watch by far, and from top to bottom may have more quality programs than any other class in the state.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Yea, that's what I meant to say.
I mentioned how fun 3A was going to be earlier in the thread. My point was that I wish 4A was going to stick together so it could be more exciting, but its about to be gutted.

3A football will be the most fun class to watch by far, and from top to bottom may have more quality programs than any other class in the state.

I thought so!...The potential a lot of years of Boyle and Catholic and Bell and Belfry matchups.
sstack Wrote:Their were some drops, like i mentioned. And he did have some nice throws. But are you going to tell me you did not see him bumping into the RB's, bobbling the ball many times trying to make had offs, dropped the ball several times, many under thrown balls? I like this kid and have been talking him up big, but not a good game by him. Hope it is just combination of T being a good team, and a little rust that got knocked off tonight. I still think he is going to have a great year at QB.

Usually do see that stuff at the first scrimmage. Nothing new. Don't expect them to come out and execute perfect. Would have liked to have seen a little more "mean". Or maybe I should say a little more hunger to make a play. :biggrin:
sstack Wrote:Good question. You have to remember it was trinity and next week they have Cincy X who is going to be much better than Trinity, so will not get a great feel for HHS until they play Campbell co to open up the season.

Be careful about drawing conclusions from a Campbell County scrimmage. The Camels are loaded at line and LB. A 6A sleeper pick to win district if SK & Dixie take them for granted.

If ever there was a year for covcath to beat the birds in the playoffs. This year would be their best opportunity in awhile considering what they return. Does Highlands have a solid RB? The only offensive threats I continuously hear about our Hoge and Venneman.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
Spirit100 Wrote:Be careful about drawing conclusions from a Campbell County scrimmage. The Camels are loaded at line and LB. A 6A sleeper pick to win district if SK & Dixie take them for granted.

If ever there was a year for covcath to beat the birds in the playoffs. This year would be their best opportunity in awhile considering what they return. Does Highlands have a solid RB? The only offensive threats I continuously hear about our Hoge and Venneman.

Nick Kendall will be the featured back and should be a good one. Griffin Urlage is another name I've heard with respect to getting a lot of touches.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Cannon Still Roars.....
Spirit100 Wrote:Be careful about drawing conclusions from a Campbell County scrimmage. The Camels are loaded at line and LB. A 6A sleeper pick to win district if SK & Dixie take them for granted.

Not sure what the running game will be like. Tried to run between the tackles a lot against T with little success. Looked like pretty limited play calling. It will be interesting to see how he runs the offense once regular season starts. Does look like he is going to put his own stamp on offense. Telek will be a big threat if he stays healthy! Not sure who else will step up at WR.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I really wish these teams weren't breaking up after this year. Id love to see Highlands and Cov Cath stay in 4A and make that class similar to how fun 3A will be over the next few years.

Boyle and Lex Cath will go to 3A with the realignment....
HSFOOTBALL Wrote:Boyle and Lex Cath will go to 3A with the realignment....

Sorry stopped reading...
Can you dig it? Wrote:Nick Kendall will be the featured back and should be a good one. Griffin Urlage is another name I've heard with respect to getting a lot of touches.

Nick Kendall will be the featured back at about a buck 60? They have no one currently in the backfield that can run between the tackles. Urlage is the "man" in the backfield, otherwise why would they have moved him from the defensive side of the ball?