• 1(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayfield 2010 vs. Pikeville 1987
Another thread on here has deemed Mayfield's 2010 as the "best of the best."

Simple question: How bad would the Pikeville 1987 team beat the Mayfield 2010 team?

I'll give my opinion later.:1:
Lol! No offense but this is a silly question. Pikeville would have killed them.
I don't think so. We will never know. I however believe it would have been a blowout for red and black.
mysonis55 Wrote:I don't think so. We will never know. I however believe it would have been a blowout for red and black.

Pikeville would have had their way with that Mayfield team.
That Pikeville team would have won by a reasonable margin.

Don't think it would be the blowout others are saying but don't think there would be much doubt.

You are taking about a Pikeville team that was nationally ranked and considered possibly the best overall team in KY. Even the most ardent of Mayfield supporters have to acknowledge that Pikeville team was probably the best 1A team to ever take the the field.

28-7 or 31-14 kind of score.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:That Pikeville team would have won by a reasonable margin.

Don't think it would be the blowout others are saying but don't think there would be much doubt.

You are taking about a Pikeville team that was nationally ranked and considered possibly the best overall team in KY. Even the most ardent of Mayfield supporters have to acknowledge that Pikeville team was probably the best 1A team to ever take the the field.

28-7 or 31-14 kind of score.

Agree with everything except this. Already one Mayfield supporter disputes it. And more will come.:biggrin:
I think it might be closer than some on here would admit but I would have to go with the Pikeville squad. That team rolled over everyone they played. Of course, so did Mayfield.

The deciding factor for me is the era. Class A in 1987 was not as "watered down" as the current Class A. There were only 4 classes in the 80's while in 2010 there were 6. That alone means there were twice as many teams to contend with for the title and the playoff quality (only 2 qualified per District in '87) was greater.

That said, both teams were loaded.

Here's video of the 1987 team.

If someone has access to a Mayfield game from 2010 it would be great to compare.
mysonis55 Wrote:I don't think so. We will never know. I however believe it would have been a blowout for red and black.

:dudecomeon::hilarious:
Just because it comes from the mountains does not mean it is better. Most times it's not.
mysonis55 Wrote:Just because it comes from the mountains does not mean it is better. Most times it's not.

In this case it does.

1987 Pikeville is the strongest 1A team of all-time. Mayfield is a fine program and a better program than Pikeville, but this one isn't even close. Mayfield has had some stellar teams... Some maybe even among the Top 10 overall beat teams in the State in their respective year. That is a crazy accomplishment.

With that said there has never been a Mayfield team who could be considered among the Top 3 teams in KY, let alone possibly as the best overall team. This Pikeville team was NATIONALLY RANKED. There have been probably less than 10-15 teams TOTAL in Kentucky History who could attest to that fact and none of them are named Mayfield.

This team was even so good that USA Today did a full profile piece on them.

To say Mayfield would beat them is a major stretch, to say Mayfield would blow them out hurts credibility.
I believe we did have such a team in the 70's and again in the 80's. The 77 team I think but that's all mythical any way. They had such teams listed in top 10 in recent years that didn't even win their own state. This stuff cannot ever be proven and for you to come in and tell someone their opinion is crap does nothing for your credibility either. That is an opinion you have that they were better. They could not hold a candle to these new style offenses. They wouldn't even have had the slightest clue on how to defend it. They surely could not score with them in the old school 3-5 yards and a cloud of dust. It was antiquated and therefore they could not keep up. That is plain and simple.
I was thinking the same thing on how an old school team would have the speed to cover the receivers in the spread. I think pikeville would have been clueless. Look at fair view set a state record that obliterated what pikevilles rushing attack did and were lost on defense. 55 since they are going old school wasn't there a team from in the 50s from may field, and don't forget 1920, the team that tilghman even refused to play against.
These games are hard to figure. Two different schools of football decade by decade. That 87 team was rude. Very hard nosed football team. The 2010 squad was FAST. But i think Pikeville would have beaten them by a few scores.
We will never know. I don't know why this nonsense even gets brought up. Any one that thinks the 2010 team was weak because they won in a 6 class system is clueless. May field won a number of titles in 2a in a 4 class system, so if 2010 is considered won of may fields best teams that says a lot. I love how every year when a west team is ranked higher y'all easterners repeatedly say rankings don't mean anything, but when its convenient for you, the same people get on here and sat the 87 pikeville team was nationally ranked, and say that automatically makes them better. Its easy for a team to look good playing a bunch of scrubs. I know of a team that didn't give up a single point in there 8 games in 1920, but I'm sure pikeville is automatically better than them since you want them to be.
killbilly usmc Wrote:I was thinking the same thing on how an old school team would have the speed to cover the receivers in the spread. I think pikeville would have been clueless. Look at fair view set a state record that obliterated what pikevilles rushing attack did and were lost on defense. 55 since they are going old school wasn't there a team from in the 50s from may field, and don't forget 1920, the team that tilghman even refused to play against.

That Pikeville team was completely loaded with speed. Plus they would have lined up on offense and completely obliterated the Mayfield defense. You guys are living in a dream world, and like EKU05 said, hurting your credibility. That Pikeville team was arguably better than Trinity, St. X, Highlands, etc. How would the Mayfield team stack up against those teams? They would get blown out.
"Mighty Pikeville The Stuff Of Legends" - 1987
Here is an article written by Mike Fields which appeared in the Lexington Herald during Pikeville's state championship 1987 season. I purchased it from the Lexington Herald's website, so there is no link...ENJOY...

MIGHTY PIKEVILLE THE STUFF OF LEGENDS
Mike Fields Herald-Leader staff writer The offensive might of this year's undefeated Pikeville High School football team probably will be talked about for years to come in the mountains of Eastern Kentucky. Win or lose in the Class A playoffs, these Panthers have earned a special place in the hearts of their fans. After all, how many other football teams ever produced more than a point a minute? Pikeville's 10 straight victories this season have included such overwhelming mismatches as three 61-0 routs, a 62-7 blowout and a 59-0 laugher. For the record, the Panthers are averaging 51.7 points per 48 minutes every Friday night. If that's not enough to make your head spin, here's a staggering possibility: By the time the playoffs are over they could have three 1,000- yard rushers plus a 1,000-yard passer cavorting about in their backfield. And these statistics could have been even more impressive, considering Coach Hillard Howard played his starters sparingly in most of the lopsided games. "Yes, we have been able to put some points on the board," Howard said in his understated style. But to get a true handle on this Pikeville team, look back to mid-September when the Panthers beat Virgie 61-0 after leading by that score at halftime. The interesting fact to come out of that game was that Pikeville scored more points in two quarters than its opponents did all season. That's right. These guys can play defense, too. In 10 games they shut out four opponents and surrendered a total of 58 points. "A lot of people don't realize that," Howard said. "And that's important
because people are crazy if they think we're going to score 50 points against anybody in the playoffs. We play (host to) Pineville Friday night and we'll be lucky to score a couple of touchdowns on them. "I'm like every other coach. I believe defense wins games and championships. As great as our offense has been this season, I know it'll be our defense that's got to come through the rest of the way." Howard has been around long enough to know. Now in his 16th year as the Panthers' boss, he's the winningest football coach in the school's history with 149 victories. This is the third time he's guided the Panthers through an undefeated regular season, and he's had a couple of teams finish as state runners-up (in Class A in 1972 and in Class 2A in '79). What Pikeville and its fans want now is to cap off a memorable season with a state championship. With the success they've had this year, could the Panthers already be thinking about spending Thanksgiving in Louisville? "I think some of us may have been thinking that the last couple of weeks," said Chris McNamee, a senior tight end and cornerback. "But now that the playoffs are here, we've put that out of our minds. We know we can't look ahead." "That's right," said senior quarterback Matt Blair. "It's tough to keep your mind right when you've got some parents, (former) players and fans already talking about going to Louisville." Even Howard, who's known as a coach with a tight hold on the reins, admits Pikeville's stunning regular-season success has its drawbacks. "When you've gone 10-0 and scored 50 points a game, it's only natural that the mommies and daddies are going to tell the players they're a little better than they really are," he said. "But I think we can make the team realize they can't let up for even one week now. When you start thinking instead of playing, you get beat." When Pikeville plays, it can throw a bunch of talent at the opposition. Forget that this is a Class A team. It has the size, depth and speed of just about any 4A outfit. Start with the backfield. Blair runs the show with poise, which is understandable when you learn he's the grandson of legendary Pikeville basketball coach John Bill Trivette. "But when you've got the running backs and line that we've got, it takes all the pressure off the quarterback," Blair said. Still, Blair has shown he can do more than just hand off. He's thrown for 14 touchdowns and more than 800 yards. But Pikeville prefers to run over you, with Greg Hackney, Bobby Deramus and Chad Thornsbury leaving most of the cleat marks. Hackney, a junior, has rushed for more than 1,150 yards even though he missed two games with a bad ankle. Deramus, a junior who's also a terror on defense at nose guard, has run for almost 1,100 yards. And Thornsbury, a freshman who also plays some defensive end, passed the 700-yard mark in last week's 62-7 rout of previously unbeaten Johns Creek. "Our runners have a lot of speed and they're extremely strong, too," Howard said. "I've never had a set of backs like this. The best way to put it is to say they're football players." Of course, running behind a big, strong offensive line helps. Tackles Tim Honaker (260 pounds) and Sean Neely (235) can open some holes, as can a half-dozen other lineman that Howard considers interchangeable. As for Pikeville's defense, Deramus and Honaker are considered the anchors. Linebackers Robert Mims and Virgil Ray aren't big -- both are about 5-foot-10, 165 pounds -- but they are quick and aggressive. McNamee has come on strong at cornerback recently. "He's played like a man possessed," Howard said. And his sidekicks in the secondary -- Jodie Miller, Tim Sanders and Robbie Wright -- have been steady all season. Despite Pikeville's success this season, some people have criticized the Panthers' schedule. But it wasn't Howard's fault that most of Pikeville's district rivals were weak this year. He had to play all six district foes: Elkhorn City, Fleming-Neon, Jenkins, Johns Creek, Phelps and Virgie. But look beyond those opponents to the two games that seem to legitimize Pikeville's strength: Pikeville beat Henry Clay 28-15 and it beat Belfry 39-14. Henry Clay won its 4A district title and Belfry captured its 3A district championship. After Pikeville beat Henry Clay, Blue Devils coach Jake Bell said he thought the Panthers were big and strong enough to compete in any class. But Howard isn't greedy. He'd settle for bringing the Class A crown home this year. "We've already accomplished a lot, going undefeated and doing it the way we've done it," he said. "But we don't want to be satisfied yet. We want to win this thing. "We realize anybody from here on out can beat us -- Pineville, Cumberland, Beechwood, Paris, Heath, Russellville . . . any of them. But we also think that if we play like we can, stay healthy and get a few breaks, we can win it all. "If we could do that, it'd make a great season a whole lot greater."
And of course after this article appeared Pikeville demolished every team they faced in the playoffs on the way to their state championship.
The point is no one knows for sure.
Another thing. Pikeville beat Henry Clay by 2 TDs that year. Henry Clay won their district making them the best team in Lexington. How would that Mayfield team have fared against the best team in Lexington in 2010? Not well. Also, most people thought Pikeville would have beaten all the champions in all classes in 1987. Does anyone think Mayfield in 2010 would beat NCC, Central, Boyle Co, Highlands or Trinity? Maybe NCC. Maybe. None of the others. It's not even close people.
And how would the pikeville team from 87 fared against highlands or trinity in 2010. I thought your thread was about 87 pikeville vs may field 2010. Why throw other teams in the mix. I would guess may fields 2010 team would have faired just as well against the best in all classes in 87, as the 87 pikeville would against the best in all classes in 2010. You are saying since may field wasn't the best in all classes in 2010, but pikeville was in 87 so that makes them automatically better. How do you think the 87 pikeville team would do against the best in all classes team from 2010, I'm guessing that would be trinity.
Please say pikevilles 87 team would have been the best team overall in the state against the 2010 teams I need a good laugh.
Looked it up trinity won the 6a title game over male 42-0. They are lucky that they didn't have to play the 87 pikeville team that was nationally ranked. A spread team from this era just can't hang with the smash mouth pikeville team.
killbilly usmc Wrote:Please say pikevilles 87 team would have been the best team overall in the state against the 2010 teams I need a good laugh.

If you think the best teams in the state are better now than back then I need a good laugh. Those teams were 10x tougher. They had already been killing each other for weeks in 3-a-days before teams now are even able to be seen with pads on. And 7 on 7 was the annual girls' powder puff game.

You still don't seem to grasp what nationally ranked means either.
killbilly usmc Wrote:Looked it up trinity won the 6a title game over male 42-0. They are lucky that they didn't have to play the 87 pikeville team that was nationally ranked. A spread team from this era just can't hang with the smash mouth pikeville team.

You continue to ignore the part about Pikeville's great speed. And yes Pikeville's great line and backs would score at will on the spread teams of today. You continue to miss a very important point - It wasn't just great power. It was great power and great speed.
I won't continue to argue what no one can prove. I'm not even saying the 2010 may field team would beat the 87 pikeville team I'm just saying you don't know for sure that pikeville would win. Its you that is losing credibility cause nobody but god knows who would win that mythical match up from to different eras.
One more thing. A lot of guys from the Mayfield team came back the next year and got drilled by Hazard in the finals. A lot of Pikeville's '87 team came back and rolled to another perfect season and another championship. I don't even look at 1987-89 as a different "era". Sure teams throw more now but they did have face masks and helmets and shoulder pads back then lol. Really not hard to compare the teams if you saw both of them play.
killbilly usmc Wrote:We will never know. I don't know why this nonsense even gets brought up. Any one that thinks the 2010 team was weak because they won in a 6 class system is clueless. May field won a number of titles in 2a in a 4 class system, so if 2010 is considered won of may fields best teams that says a lot. I love how every year when a west team is ranked higher y'all easterners repeatedly say rankings don't mean anything, but when its convenient for you, the same people get on here and sat the 87 pikeville team was nationally ranked, and say that automatically makes them better. Its easy for a team to look good playing a bunch of scrubs. I know of a team that didn't give up a single point in there 8 games in 1920, but I'm sure pikeville is automatically better than them since you want them to be.

if you want to go back as far as 1920. a mountain team such as Corbin could beat college teams Confusednicker:
This is a no win topic. A bunch of mountain boys drinkin their moonshine and day dreamin. Pikeville is basically a has been since 1987.
Good one Killer, yeah we still wear bib overalls and wear no shoes or shirts.
Any team that is nationally ranked, and the AP has voted them the no. 1 team in the state regardless of class, speaks volumes. And that Pikeville team could have handled the 2010 Mayfield team like they did many other great teams......no problem.
  • 1(current)
  • Next