Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eastern Kentucky to play Kentucky on Dec. 7
RICHMOND, Ky. – Eastern Kentucky University's men's basketball team will play the University of Kentucky on Dec. 7 at Rupp Arena in Lexington. The game will feature two teams that played in the 2014 NCAA Tournament.

Both teams began this year's NCAA Tournament in St. Louis. EKU nearly upset No. 2 seed Kansas, leading the Jayhawks with 8:55 left in the game and trailing by only three with 3:39 to go. Kentucky knocked off Kansas State and Wichita State on their way to the Final Four in Dallas.

The game time will be determined at a later date.

The Colonels and Wildcats last met on Dec. 30, 2006 in Lexington. UK won that meeting 78-65. This will be just the 11th meeting between two schools separated by less than 30 miles.

Before giving Kansas all it could handle in the NCAA Tournament, the Colonels marched through the Ohio Valley Conference Tournament. Eastern won three games in three days and trailed for only 41 seconds during the entire tourney.

EKU finished the season with a 24-10 record, the second most wins in program history. With a school record 25 victories in 2012-13, the Colonels have 49 wins the last two years combined.

Eastern finished second in the nation in turnover margin, fifth in the nation in three-point field goals per game and sixth in steals. Eastern Kentucky has now led the OVC in three-pointers five of the last six years.

Against these six teams -- Illinois, West Virginia, North Carolina State, VCU, Wisconsin and Kansas -- combined the last two seasons, Eastern has committed 19 fewer turnovers (65-84) and has out-scored these teams 89-65 off turnovers (+24).

Over the last two seasons, Eastern has played well against teams from the Big 12, Big 10 and ACC. In addition to pushing Kansas to the brink last season, EKU had a 10-point lead in the first half at North Carolina State, led by six at halftime and trailed by just three with six minutes left in the game.

During the 2012-13 season, EKU overcame a 16-point second half deficit at West Virginia and took a 2-point lead with 4:21 left in the game. The Colonels were down only three with 24 seconds to go before falling by seven. Eastern suffered its first loss of the 2012-13 season at No. 10 Illinois but the Colonels didn't go down easy. EKU trailed by only five at halftime. In the second half Eastern cut a 14-point deficit to four with less than 10 minutes to play. In the final five minutes the Colonels made another run to cut another 14-point deficit to eight.

Kentucky went 29-11 this past season and fell to Connecticut in the national championship game.

http://www.ekusports.com
I know this isn't news worthy to U.K. fans, but it is to us E.K.U. fans. I guess this shows how great of a program U.K. has when other team's fans get excited when thy see the Wildcats on their schedule. I know the Colonels don't stand a chance, but it will still be fun to watch.
Mark this one down as an easy win for my great alma mater.

(EKU ConfusednickerSmile
Good game for Neubie and his crew.
Westside Wrote:I know this isn't news worthy to U.K. fans, but it is to us E.K.U. fans. I guess this shows how great of a program U.K. has when other team's fans get excited when thy see the Wildcats on their schedule. I know the Colonels don't stand a chance, but it will still be fun to watch.

I love it when EKU plays UK. It's the only time I root against UK. I was the game the last time EKU played in Rupp dressed in maroon in 98 or 99. I wish I was close enough to make it to the game.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:Good game for Neubie and his crew.

Didn't Neubie come from West Virginia?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jarons Wrote:Didn't Neubie come from West Virginia?

Yes, he was on Beilein's staff. He should have gotten the job at Marshall instead of the Herd hiring a NBA assistant that has not coached a college game in 40 years. I hope Neubie comes back to Morgantown when cHuggy gets canned.
A dunk festival for kentucky.....But I hope EKU plays them close. :Cheerlead
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:Yes, he was on Beilein's staff. He should have gotten the job at Marshall instead of the Herd hiring a NBA assistant that has not coached a college game in 40 years. I hope Neubie comes back to Morgantown when cHuggy gets canned.

I hope he stays at EKU a long time. Going to Marshall would have been a lateral move at best, I don't blame him for not wanting to go. I can see him going to WVU in the not too distant future.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jarons Wrote:I love it when EKU plays UK. It's the only time I root against UK. I was the game the last time EKU played in Rupp dressed in maroon in 98 or 99. I wish I was close enough to make it to the game.

I guess I should have read the article before I posted this. 98 or 99 was not the last time EKU played in Lexington.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jarons Wrote:I hope he stays at EKU a long time. Going to Marshall would have been a lateral move at best, I don't blame him for not wanting to go. I can see him going to WVU in the not too distant future.

EKU hosted Marshal in a scrimmage in richmond last season. wasn't pretty EKU won big. marshal was big but didn't have the athletes Eastern had