Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trinity 59 Ballard 58 (7th Region Championship)
Final. I thought Ballard would win it all.
Great win for Trinity. I hope that either Trinity or CovCath wins it all.
I hope Wayne or Knott Co wins state.
Congrats Trinity
I'm shocked Ballard didn't win, coach renner going to be thinking about that loss for a very long time
I have been a Sweet 16 Ballard fan for a while, because I grew up watching them there and loved watching them play.

But is there anyone that does less with more than Renner? My Lord.
^ it's crazy, they returned everybody from last year's state runner up team (should've been champs). that team should've steamrolled their way to Rupp
Panther Thunder Wrote:I have been a Sweet 16 Ballard fan for a while, because I grew up watching them there and loved watching them play.

But is there anyone that does less with more than Renner? My Lord.

Other than Billy Hicks and Scott County, Renner and Ballard have won more Sweet 16 games than any coach or school in Kentucky over the last 20 years. There have been a lot of great teams, coached by great coaches that didn't win the Sweet 16. Below are just a few:

Lex Cath 1998- Ranked number 3 in the nation
Scott Co 1999- Ranked number 6 in the nation
Ballard 2000- Top 10 in the nation
Male 20001- Top 10 in the nation
rojas Wrote:Other than Billy Hicks and Scott County, Renner and Ballard have won more Sweet 16 games than any coach or school in Kentucky over the last 20 years. There have been a lot of great teams, coached by great coaches that didn't win the Sweet 16. Below are just a few:

Lex Cath 1998- Ranked number 3 in the nation
Scott Co 1999- Ranked number 6 in the nation
Ballard 2000- Top 10 in the nation
Male 20001- Top 10 in the nation
That may be so, but IMO they have also LOST many games during his tenure that his team had more talent but looked lost and unprepared. It seems like Hicks' teams are much more fundamentally sound and prepared to play in the big postseason games. Of course, I am going on a very small sample size, but I just have never been impressed by Renner. Obviously he does something right, but I think Ballard could be better most years by the end of the season.

Maybe the disappointments in big games are just too much to overlook for me. They have a great ability to get there, closing the deal hasn't been the Bruins' strong suit. 4 State Runner-Ups are nothing to laugh at, but I would have liked to see them pull a couple out over the last 20. Nitpicking, I know.
By his record, I would put Renner as one of the top 3 coaches in Kentucky. The other two would be Hicks and Rodney Woods at Wayne County. Sazbo at Trinity is another good one. Trinity is also loaded with talent.
rojas Wrote:By his record, I would put Renner as one of the top 3 coaches in Kentucky. The other two would be Hicks and Rodney Woods at Wayne County. Sazbo at Trinity is another good one. Trinity is also loaded with talent.
Just curious, while semi-on-the-subject, do you have an opinion on Bibby of Central? I don't go back very far, but in recent years he has emerged as one of my favorite coaches in the state. I love watching his teams play.
I honestly don't know a lot about Bibby. Sorry.
I like what Bibby has done at Central, it's not easy coaching there. Most of his best bball players play football, and Central usually goes deep into the playoffs so bball gets a late start. Bibby was Rondo's coach when Rondo was at Eastern

I think what Panther Thunder is trying to get at is the same thing or close to what I'm saying. Renner is a great coach, but for the talent he's got, in some crucial games his teams look unprepared, which has become consistent. it's almost like he signed a pact with the devil after he won state in his 1st year at Ballard