Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I want to come clean!!!
Do you have a phobia???

I have no problems with heights or tight places or the dark or any of the normal phobias but I do have one. I have what is called astraphobia. When it comes a storm I just about shut down. Even worse is when they give a severe storm warning in my area. On the night of March 2nd 2012 when we had the tornado outbreak was probably the worst and longest night of my life. If my wife was not right beside me that night I would probably have lost it. If I ever did see a tornado up close and it was coming right at me I would probably just scream like a little girl or pass out one. I don't know where this came from or how it started because I never had this problem when I was younger. At one time I thought phobias were just silly. Do you have a phobia and if so what is yours...........and be honest.:insane:
^
Its weird for me to understand that, because I love storms so much. Nothing like sleeping while its storming, but I see where your coming from.

I cant say I really have any phobias, not scared of heights, I constantly ride death traps all day long in the form of heavy equipment, and I love women.

No phobias here lol.
^
Never heard of a woman phobia!! LOL

Do-double-gg, I understand! Storms scare me, too. My husband will go outside on the porch just to be close to the thunder and lightening; he LOVES it. Scares me to death. My mother was like that, too so I can blame my mom for something! LOL She used to put us to bed when a bad storm hit!

Wink
Heights!!! Scared shitless. It doesn't bother me if there is railing or something like that, but to just stand at the edge of a roof, my knees buckle. I literally feel like I am going to just collapse.

I love storms. Like Papa Bear I like to be outside when it storms just to watch mother nature at her best. It is unreal the power she has.

P.S.
Granny Bear after a long hibernation. That is some scary stuff.
^
I'm scared of heights, too! LOL

I like to drive when I first come out of hibernation smart alek!
[Image: http://legacy-cdn.smosh.com/smosh-pit/3/cat-4.jpg]
Like Blackcat fan, I am terrified of heights. I can't even watch a movie where heights are involved. My feet feel like a million needles are sticking in them if I look down and I get dizzy. I've also have fear of losing football games but coach Chirico and staff are helping me with that.
Heights is by far the worst for me, not deadly afraid, but they freak me out enough.
Do-double-gg Wrote:Do you have a phobia???

I have no problems with heights or tight places or the dark or any of the normal phobias but I do have one. I have what is called astraphobia. When it comes a storm I just about shut down. Even worse is when they give a severe storm warning in my area. On the night of March 2nd 2012 when we had the tornado outbreak was probably the worst and longest night of my life. If my wife was not right beside me that night I would probably have lost it. If I ever did see a tornado up close and it was coming right at me I would probably just scream like a little girl or pass out one. I don't know where this came from or how it started because I never had this problem when I was younger. At one time I thought phobias were just silly. Do you have a phobia and if so what is yours...........and be honest.:insane:

Storms used to scare the heck out of me when I was in elementary school. I witnessed a small tornado and was cut but a flying piece of glass which thankfully just hit my knee and was remedied by some mathiolate ( merthiolate ) an orange liquid topical antiseptic like hydrogen peroxide and a dozen stitches.

I tell you that to tell you this. I grew out of my fear of storms and hope you are able to do the same as the years pass. I am however, afraid of mathiolate. Every injury I ever sustained as a kid to teenager which involved bleeding was cleaned/sanitized with the stuff and the pain was excruciating . After losing my brakes after a storm, on my ten speed bike at the time, on a wooden walking bridge I had to place my hand and forearm down on the wood rail top of the bridge which was an older 2X8 wood cap, to be able to slow down from hitting a friend head on at full speed. He was able to stop on his dirt bike. Wet ten speed brakes weren't worth a darn back in the day…..needless to say over 3 hours and dozens of splinters pulled out of my arm, wrist and hand later ( my Mother literally performed surgery with a scalpel and tweezers ), I learned to become ambidextrous as a result. Had to learn to write, eat, and play some sports with my left hand. I was bandaged and in a sling for two weeks. It sucked and is something I will never forget.

The only upside was no injury ever got infected Confusednicker:. I can tolerate just about everything: heights, insects, reptiles, tight spaces.

But if you showed my a container of mathiolate I would probably punch you in the jaw and dispose of that bottle as quickly as possible. I believe it has since been banned since it contained mercury which is just great news considering my lengthy experience with the stuff. Confusednicker:

What helped me with my fear of storms was learning more about weather: cloud types, low pressure systems, etc. By learning more about them the fear factor dwindled as my knowledge grew. It's pretty much like that anyway with just about anything. Hope that helps ddg!

:Thumbs:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
I have always been afraid of snakes. After seeing a friend fall off the edge of a mountain (he survived), I developed a fear of standing near railings or windows above the 3rd or 4th floor. As long as I am not close to edge I can stand being in high places.
I love storms, my 11 y/o and I will run outside to watch the storm. Many times during a tornado warning, I would run outside looking for the funnel cloud.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
spiders. I'm a grown man and I'm terrified of a spider. Don't judge me.
^^^
Confusednicker:

So is my daughter!!

Tell you something Spirit100....I am so old that the doctor used to "paint" our throats whenever we had strep. Guess what they used!! If you think mathiolate hurt your hand, think of what it felt like when it was painted on an inflammed tonsil!!!
Went to Gaston Lake, NC last May on a fishing trip with my son. Great large mouth, stripers and hybrid fishing FWIW! The place I stay has covered slips and private docks. Needless to say, it is always a wonderful time.

The first night, after fishing for a few hours, we came in tied up the boat and headed up the bank to relax for the evening. The next morning we were out and in the boat just before dawn. Fiddling with fishing gear, coolers, coffee cups and baits we'd thrown all over the place the night before, when I heard my son say, "Dad look up." I could tell by the sound of his voice something was wrong, and looking up, I saw what it was. Without exaggeration, there were hundreds of spiders all over the underside of the slip roof. Two of them were huge with striped legs. We'd already loosed the front tie line, and I quietly asked him to let the back line loose. I was terrified some of those beasts would drop into the boat with us, but we glided out without taking on any new passengers. It still freaks me out to think about it.

You can bet upon our return, I parked on the other side of the dock, LOL. Luckily I usually bring a pump-jug of bug killer when camping or on long fishing trips, and I soaked up under the slip roof with that spray, kind of overkilled a bit.

So, mark me down for spiders, as of last year. I too am "borned again hard" on Mathiolate, and hate the stuff. And I am a storm lover. :biggrin:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Granny Bear Wrote:^
Never heard of a woman phobia!! LOL

Do-double-gg, I understand! Storms scare me, too. My husband will go outside on the porch just to be close to the thunder and lightening; he LOVES it. Scares me to death. My mother was like that, too so I can blame my mom for something! LOL She used to put us to bed when a bad storm hit!

Wink

Sorry, you probably know it as the Michael Sam disorder :biglmao:

Sometimes referred to as the Jason Collins disorder.
Real Badman Wrote:spiders. I'm a grown man and I'm terrified of a spider. Don't judge me.

[Image: http://i1344.photobucket.com/albums/p658...639258.jpg]

:Clap:
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Sorry, you probably know it as the Michael Sam disorder :biglmao:

Sometimes referred to as the Jason Collins disorder.

I had to google those names!!
Confusednicker:
I suffer from Coulrophobia (fear of clowns). For those of you who suffer from the fear of heights, here is a great video for you to watch.

I don't trust words, I trust action...
^^^ No way I push play on that JD !
Im not scared of heights, but I swear I got vertigo just watching that video!!!!!!!!!!!!
I watched it. Thought they would NEVER get there. Every time he would unhook to move his position, my stomach would flip a little.

Now, how do they get down???
judgementday Wrote:I suffer from Coulrophobia (fear of clowns). For those of you who suffer from the fear of heights, here is a great video for you to watch.

Loved it, but not as good as this:

I wasn't about to impose an ICP video on you otherwise we would have potentially never heard from you again. So enjoy the softer side of clowns :Thumbs:.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
Here's mine...and its true. But cotton balls. An all out panic!
judgementday Wrote:I suffer from Coulrophobia (fear of clowns). For those of you who suffer from the fear of heights, here is a great video for you to watch.

I tried watching this video a while back, I could not watch it. My palms and feet started sweating.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:Here's mine...and its true. But cotton balls. An all out panic!

Just plain cotton balls?
In all honesty it's not just the storm that bothers me. If we just get a small garden variety storm rain, thunder and lightning it don't bother me that much.
The thing that bothers me is when we get strong storms because I know that with a strong storm that it can produce a tornado at any time. Like some of you don't understand my fear of storms I don't understand your fear of heights or spiders and stuff. When I was a kid I would catch spiders and snakes and stuff and try to keep em as pets...........much to the chagrin of my mom.
I wonder how many people saw the heading of this thread and thought someone was coming out of the closet? I didn't realize how it looked until I came back on and read it myself. Confusednicker:
^
Oh, so you're not?

:biggrin:
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
Oh, so you're not?

:biggrin:

Bahahahahahahahah!!!:rage:
I am the same way Dogg. I aint't skeered of nothin, but the thought of a tornado makes me soil myself.

My wife is in the same boat as judgementday, she cannot stand the thought of a clown.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
Its weird for me to understand that, because I love storms so much. Nothing like sleeping while its storming, but I see where your coming from.

I cant say I really have any phobias, not scared of heights, I constantly ride death traps all day long in the form of heavy equipment, and I love women.

No phobias here lol.

I see Heavy equipment as a death trap only if the operator makes it that way.

I'd much rather run around in a piece of equipment all day than be out on our highways.
Downtown10 Wrote:I see Heavy equipment as a death trap only if the operator makes it that way.

I'd much rather run around in a piece of equipment all day than be out on our highways.

I used to drive a rock truck on a surface mine and some of the things you are told to do make them death traps no matter how safe you try to be. Luckily I had no accidents but they were many times I was scared to death, but you have to do it.