The 16th Region Draw
Games are at Morehead State University

All games Saturday March 8th.

Fleming Co. vs Elliott Co. 12:00pm

Boyd Co. vs Lewis Co. 1:30

Greenup Co. vs Rowan Co. 6:00

East Carter vs Ashland 7:30
Is Fleming the favorite?
I think it's a toss up. Fleming prolly the favor though.
Warthog Wrote:Is Fleming the favorite?

I would say Fleming is the favorite.
Fleming is the favorite but anything can happen with Rowan and APB. i look for Rowan to make it to Rupp
I would love to see Elliot win ,but Fleming is a nice team.
I would say Greenup has one of the best 8th graders to start for a high school team. #23 Gage Hughes has be playing above his age.
Don't count Boyd out of the mix , beat Rowan, Ashland, Lewis, East Carter and Elliott. Lost to Fleming by 6 . Should be some great games at Morehead .
Boys bracket contains plenty of possibilities

Aaron Snyder
The Independent

MOREHEAD — Ashland boys basketball coach Buddy Biggs wasn’t too shy to share his feelings about defending 16th Region champion Fleming County and, specifically, its esteemed senior group.

“I’ll be glad to see those guys graduate, that’s for sure,” Biggs said through laughter.

Biggs isn’t alone.

Elliott County coach Greg Adkins has the unenviable task of getting his Lions prepared to play the Panthers on Saturday, March 8, in the first game of this year’s 16th Region Tournament. The draw was held on Saturday morning on the campus of Morehead State University.

Only one team (Lewis County) has knocked off Fleming County this season. In order for Elliott County to pull off an upset, Adkins said the Lions must be “loose.”

“I thought (in the 62nd District championship loss to East Carter) we tightened up,” Adkins said. “It felt like we were driving on four flat tires.

“We shouldn’t feel any pressure. The pressure has to be on the defending champions.”

Fleming County (21-9) and Elliott County (18-9) kick off a four-game slate on Saturday at noon. The rest of the opening-round rundown: Boyd County (19-13) vs. Lewis County (16-13), 1:30 p.m.; Greenup County (12-15) vs. Rowan County (21-10), 6 p.m.; and East Carter (15-13) vs. Ashland (20-9), 8 p.m.

Monday’s semifinal round consists 6:30 p.m. and 8 p.m. tipoffs. The championship game is scheduled for Tuesday at 7 p.m.

“I think Fleming has to be the favorite coming in, based on what they have coming back and based on what they did last year,” Biggs said.

The Panthers and Tomcats have locked up in classic battles in each of the past two seasons. Two years ago, Ashland won in overtime in the first round. Last season, Fleming County survived a double-overtime affair in the semifinals before downing Rowan County in the championship game.

Despite labeling the Panthers favorites, Biggs said it was the most even field he’s witnessed in his eight years as Ashland’s head coach.

“It wouldn’t surprise me if any of the eight teams won this thing,” he said.

Boyd County coach Randy Anderson, whose crew beat Ashland in the 64th District finals on Friday for their first such title in 15 years, echoed Biggs’s thoughts.

“This is such a competitive region. It’ll be a great regional tournament,” said Anderson, in his fourth year with the Lions.

Regular-season results confirm both coaches’ feelings.

While Fleming County and Elliott County haven’t faced off, the rest of the opening-round clashes are rematches.

Boyd County used a typical balanced performance to beat Lewis County, 76-69, on Feb. 11. Rowan County outlasted Greenup County, 59-57, in double overtime on Jan. 29. East Carter surprised Ashland, 61-60, on Jan. 28.

Ashland hasn’t experienced a first-round region tournament loss since 2006, but Biggs is wary of the Raiders.

“They’re playing their best basketball right now,” Biggs said. “We’re getting a hot team.”

Commented East Carter coach Brandon Baker on the Raiders’ one-point defeat of Ashland: “That’ll be added motivation for Ashland. We don’t want that to give them an edge over us.”

Baker’s bunch was rejuvenated by two solid collective efforts in the district tournament, helping erase the memory of a 29-point loss to Boyd County to end the regular season. The coach, who owns a regional title (2010), credited his bench for being a key factor.

Anderson said bench play will be extremely important next week, especially in the Boyd-Lewis contest.

“We like to run, so does Lewis,” Anderson said. “There won’t be any paint drying … benches may really come into play.”

Greenup County coach Harold Tackett had some complimentary words about his upcoming counterpart.

“We’re going up against a solid basketball team plus we’re going up against a Hall-of-Fame coach in coach (Shawn) Thacker,” Tackett said.

The Musketeers are coming off an enlivening 62-60 win over Lewis County in the 63rd District finals.

The Vikings have reached the region finals in each of the last three tournaments. They represented the region at Rupp Arena in 2011 and ‘12.

Fleming County possesses a nine-game winning streak over 61st District rival Rowan County. Panthers coach Mark Starns is unbeaten against the Vikings since taking over in 2012.

Troy Steward, Darion Burns, Austin Crisp, Brady Saunders, Bryson McKee and Keion Crumbie comprise Fleming County’s standout senior class. In late January, Burns returned from a torn ACL that he suffered last summer. Steward has steadily led the Panthers in several categories, including points per game (23.4).

“They’ve always got five players out there that, any of them can score at any given time,” Adkins said. “That’s why they’re the defending champions.”
AARON SNYDER: OK ... now we can tip it off! Aaron Snyder The Independent The Daily Independent Tue Mar 04, 2014, 06:00 AM EST
MOREHEAD — You can’t have a 16th Region Tournament without the Point Guard’s picks.

Well, technically you can, but what fun would that be?

Can you imagine just sitting and watching a high school basketball game without already knowing what the score will be when the final horn sounds?

That’s exactly what you’d have without me.

Just kidding!

The 2014 boys and girls region tournaments will contain more than enough excitement on their own. So, consider this an added feature. Or added fuel, if you want to fire away your thoughts disagreeing with my opinion.

In my position, I can’t care who wins or loses. And, honestly, I don’t at all. I’ll take clean, spirited competition and injury-free basketball over correct predictions any day.

With that being said, here goes nothing!

BOYS

First round

-Fleming County-Elliott County, Saturday at noon.

The Panthers overpower the Lions, ending an overall impressive season for Elliott County.

Snyder says: Fleming County 71, Elliott County 52.

-Boyd County-Lewis County, Saturday at 1:30 p.m.

The clash between the two best free-throw shooting teams in the region is decided by a line a few feet back from the charity stripe. The long-range Lions of Boyd County move on.

Snyder says: Boyd County 65, Lewis County 58.

-Greenup County-Rowan County, Saturday at 6 p.m.

This duel went down to the wire, with Rowan County surviving in double overtime, back in late January. Rowan County has too much recent region success on its side to bow out this early.

Snyder says: Rowan County 60, Greenup County 53.

-East Carter-Ashland, Saturday at 7:30 p.m.

Some forget that the Tomcats were without Tyler Stewart when East Carter beat Ashland on Jan. 28. He’s a key cog in a wheel, and will help Ashland sustain a fast pace and avoid long scoring droughts.

Snyder says: Ashland 68, East Carter 59.

Semifinals

-Fleming County-Boyd County, Monday at 6:30 p.m.

Troy Steward couldn’t miss the last time these two tangled. Boyd County might be one of the few that the PG could confidently pick to upset these Panthers, who are clicking better than they have all season. Lewis County had the solution on Feb. 10. Can Boyd County come up with similar magic? Not quite.

Snyder says: Fleming County 74, Boyd County 67.

-Rowan County-Ashland, Monday at 8 p.m.

Nick Miller missed the Tomcats’ loss to the Vikings just a couple weeks back. Despite a big game from Rowan County’s Tyler Thacker, the Tomcats survive and taste a bit of redemption after suffering season-ending losses to the Vikings in both 2011 and 2012.

Snyder says: Ashland 65, Rowan County 62.

Finals

-Fleming County-Ashland, Tuesday at 7 p.m.

They squared off in the quarterfinals in 2012 and the semifinals in ’13, so why not a finals face-off in ’14? Fleming County won thrillers in each of the past two region showdowns with the Tomcats. This time, the Panthers triumph again, and by a more comfortable margin. They’re simply too good and are playing too well at the moment.

Snyder says: Fleming County 71, Ashland 63.

Obviously, the above semifinal and championship matchups could change if I am wrong, but the times are accurate (weather pending).