Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corbin 59 Whitley County 57
Corbin vs Williamsburg for the 50th district on Friday
Whitley came back from around 8 or 9 down to tie the game.
Corbin got the ball with a little over 20 seconds, the kid drove it to the basket, missed the shot, and another kid from Corbin was there to tip it in at the buzzer.

Bad way to end things for Whitley. I would have liked to see them advance after playing so well this season.
James Sasko hit two FT's to tie it up with 32.7 seconds left. Corbin holds the ball and Kevin Goins shoots a three-pointer with just over 3 seconds left, Joey Shelton gets the rebound at the FT line, puts it up and it banks in as time expires.

From what I saw, I think it definitely left his hand in time. But, there are some people who swear that the time stopped at 1.8 seconds and then started back. I was not looking at the clock at that time, so I have no idea.

In the end, it doesn't matter. It was a nice play by Shelton and as Coach Overbey told me after the game, "Nothing we can say can change anything now."
Corbin Williamsburg is coming and Gut will seal the deal who ever he pick will lose.I hope he pick Corbin. :please: Gut pick Corbin.
TriCountySports Wrote:James Sasko hit two FT's to tie it up with 32.7 seconds left. Corbin holds the ball and Kevin Goins shoots a three-pointer with just over 3 seconds left, Joey Shelton gets the rebound at the FT line, puts it up and it banks in as time expires.

From what I saw, I think it definitely left his hand in time. But, there are some people who swear that the time stopped at 1.8 seconds and then started back. I was not looking at the clock at that time, so I have no idea.

In the end, it doesn't matter. It was a nice play by Shelton and as Coach Overbey told me after the game, "Nothing we can say can change anything now."

TryCountysports Williamsburg is coming Confusederiously: Its peak season in Williamsburg
64SUR Wrote:Corbin Williamsburg is coming and Gut will seal the deal who ever he pick will lose.I hope he pick Corbin. :please: Gut pick Corbin.

I picked Corbin in the preseason while some laughed.
We shall see.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I picked Corbin in the preseason while some laughed.
We shall see.

They have won the last 5 and they are playing at home this year and that's suppose to be a surprise pick. They were/are hands down favorite!
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Whitley came back from around 8 or 9 down to tie the game.
Corbin got the ball with a little over 20 seconds, the kid drove it to the basket, missed the shot, and another kid from Corbin was there to tip it in at the buzzer.

Bad way to end things for Whitley. I would have liked to see them advance after playing so well this season.

Whitley Co. showed a ton of heart and character in this game. I couldn't root against Corbin, but it's hard not to feel bad for this bunch of Colonels.

Overbey is easily the coach of the year in the 50th District, possibly the 13th Region. I'm not sure how he didn't get that nod in the Times Tribune. I also feel like Whitley finally has the right coach in place to elevate their program to be a 13th region contender over the next few years.
I am happy for my Hounds for winning but my heart goes out to the Colonels, particularly the ones who's high school career ended last night. Those boys played their tails off and showed great resiliance in coming back from a 9 or 10 point deficit. They never quit.

As for the final shot, what awareness by Shelton to get the rebound and put it back in. He got the shot off with 0.4 off. At least, it was at 0.4 when I saw it go through the hoop. I heard a lot of people saying there should've been an over the back on Shelton. I disagree. If anything, the player under Shelton could have been called for a box out foul. Either way, great game and I am proud of both teams. Best of luck to Whitley Co next season.
HAROLD Wrote:I am happy for my Hounds for winning but my heart goes out to the Colonels, particularly the ones who's high school career ended last night. Those boys played their tails off and showed great resiliance in coming back from a 9 or 10 point deficit. They never quit.

As for the final shot, what awareness by Shelton to get the rebound and put it back in. He got the shot off with 0.4 off. At least, it was at 0.4 when I saw it go through the hoop. I heard a lot of people saying there should've been an over the back on Shelton. I disagree. If anything, the player under Shelton could have been called for a box out foul. Either way, great game and I am proud of both teams. Best of luck to Whitley Co next season.

I was happy for Shelton, who is the epitome of a Coach P. type player. He is not blessed with a whole lot of raw athletic ability, but he has worked extremely hard to become a good basketball player, and is willing to do all the little things that go unnoticed but are often the difference between winning and losing.
A box out foul WOW
What I am saying is that it wasn't an over the back as much as the WC kid kind of pushed off when he was trying to box out for the rebound. A no call was certainly the best call in that situation as contact was minimal but if the refs wanted to get technical, a push off could've been called on Whitley.
footballfever Wrote:They have won the last 5 and they are playing at home this year and that's suppose to be a surprise pick. They were/are hands down favorite!

Not according to some.

To many on here, and even some newspapers, Wburg and Whitley both were picked to finish ahead of Corbin. More people had Wburg winning district than Corbin on here as well.
SEKYFAN Wrote:Whitley Co. showed a ton of heart and character in this game. I couldn't root against Corbin, but it's hard not to feel bad for this bunch of Colonels.

Overbey is easily the coach of the year in the 50th District, possibly the 13th Region. I'm not sure how he didn't get that nod in the Times Tribune. I also feel like Whitley finally has the right coach in place to elevate their program to be a 13th region contender over the next few years.

Very well said.
I to wondered how he didn't get it considering where Whitley has been for so long. It shouldn't always go to the coach that wins...
HAROLD Wrote:I am happy for my Hounds for winning but my heart goes out to the Colonels, particularly the ones who's high school career ended last night. Those boys played their tails off and showed great resiliance in coming back from a 9 or 10 point deficit. They never quit.

Confusednicker:

I heard a couple of conspiracy theorist saying the clock stopped at 1.8 and didn't start again until the ball left his hands.
64SUR Wrote:TryCountysports Williamsburg is coming Confusederiously: Its peak season in Williamsburg

:biglmao:

box out foulConfusednicker:
Oh how I wish the refs would have stayed around one second longer and explained that last call to the coaches and fans. The Whitley County and Williamsburg boys are amazing. I love the way that each of them strongly supported one another. Those two teams are very special.
:Thumbs: