Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Larkey get to 300 wins next season @HC?
If I am not mistaking, Coach Larkey needs 10 wins to get to the coveted 300 win club. With the brutal schedule and a lot of important kids gone from last years team, can Harlan County win 10 games to get coach to 300? I feel we should be as good if not better than last year but 10 wins with the schedule we play might be a HUGE task. What are your thoughts?
Do you have the schedule? Can you post it?
would be very tough with the schedule and fact that Mad. So. and Pulaski have majority of team back from last yr. However not impossible.
Buddy somebody could do a better job than me but I will attempt it...not sure all games are in a row.

Bryan Station-away
Clay Co.-home
Knox Central-away
Belfry-away
Greeneville TN-home
Johnson Central-home
Perry Central-away
Letcher Central-away
Whitley Co.-home
Bell Co.-home
He can and I think he will.
:popcorn: Being cancer free should help. This could be as good as 8-2, and as bad as 6-4. Every year except last I wondered out loud how would we replace the guys from the year before and they always stepped up and got it done. In my opinion last year was a bust. That group had so much more potential. Sometimes the lug nuts work their way off and you loose a wheel.

I'm going to be an optimist and say they go 8-2. Getting 2 more post season will be a challenge. Hope they're up for it.
Be tough to win at Belfry, but it can be done. Greeneville lost a lot of seniors that's all I know about them so that's a toss up. Surely we can't play a horrid game against Johnson Central two years in a row!

I say 9-1 going into the playoffs with a 1st around win for 300.

But how awesome would it be to be 9-0 going into the Bell game and Coach getting it against them!
Did you see the Greeneville game last year?
I'm an optimist, but I don't see how anyone pick Harlan County to beat Greeneville, Belfry or Johnson Central.
I think winning the region would be easier than beating any of those three.
Greeneville lost 15 seniors though. And without the turnovers that would have been a different game. Same with JC.
Harlan County lost 10, I think.
I just think it's unfair to them to be picking them 9-1. That would take a monumental effort to get there.
Everything about Black Bear football is monumental! LOL

Different year different things can happen. In 2012 it was HC that went off on Madison Southern in the 4th quarter. 2013 was a different...

Take away the fumbleitis and Greeneville and JC are different games.

I'm sure the players aren't looking at the schedule thinking the will go. 6-4 or 8-2, they are in the weight room thinking 15-0 with every rep.
The fumbles turned the game into blowouts, but Harlan County still didn't stop either of them or even score when the game was in doubt.
To me, a 9-1 season would be a big accomplishment, but if people are already picking them 9-1 it's not such a big deal.
I would like to say he will but I just don't see it this year. Next year he will but not this one to tough of a schedule to pull off 10 wins unless they win region which they could do that. But IMO that's the only way he gets 10 wins this year.
I think he'll get there. Depends on what kind of run they make in the playoffs. Should get at least 6 in the regular season.
I see 2015. I respect and love HC football and Coach Larkey, but they will not win 10 next year. I will still cheer and hope we do. Prove me wrong. IMO
The games the Harlan County "supporters" think theBlack Bears will not win (Belfry, Greeneville, JC). I'd suggest staying at home for those games.

Will they Win every game, Doubtful. Can they Win Every game, Possible. I'm just crazy that way! I believe they can win every game no matter what.
HDE Wrote:The fumbles turned the game into blowouts, but Harlan County still didn't stop either of them or even score when the game was in doubt.
To me, a 9-1 season would be a big accomplishment, but if people are already picking them 9-1 it's not such a big deal.

I see your point but those fumbles hurt mentally and physically. They get in there head plus the defense is on the field way more than they should be.
Geesh!! 9-1 with that schedule??? Lets put as much pressure on them as you can. 9-1 is unfair!! I hope they go 15-0 but I dont think its a good idea to put all that pressure on them. I guarantee Larkey isnt worried about him getting to 300. He's worried about HC wins! Lets say 7-3 and give them a little space!!! Again, I hope they win them all.
I'd say 7-3 to 6-4.

Some people are realists and some aren't. I bet Patriot thought UK would go 40-0 too. Ha! Just kidding.
I will throw my two cents in since I started the thread. I first wanna say, I feel I am the biggest Black Bear fan in Harlan County, BUT I am also a realist. With the key players we lost last year I feel 6-4 or 7-3 would be a GREAT year for this Black Bear team. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be surprised if we win 8 or 9 games in the regular season. We will have a few new faces in some VERY important positions this coming year. I do feel we will win the district for the 5th year in a row and I do feel that we have the talent to make a run in the playoffs especially after having to grow up with the schedule we have. I just hope Coach gets to 300.
1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9 wins....And a bonus 10....Larkey get 300th. :mop:
Patriot Wrote:The games the Harlan County "supporters" think theBlack Bears will not win (Belfry, Greeneville, JC). I'd suggest staying at home for those games.

Will they Win every game, Doubtful. Can they Win Every game, Possible. I'm just crazy that way! I believe they can win every game no matter what.

Let me tell ya something....I went to several games last year I thought they'd win and got bitterly disappointed, so if I show up for a couple I think they might not win, we'll be even. I blew them up last year as if they were the second coming.

People talk about without fumbles the game would have been different? That's almost like saying if they hadn't scored touchdowns we'd have beat them.

The facts are very simple. To scratch 8-2, 9-1 we have to remember and execute a few things:

1) We are going to have to learn to cover receivers while putting pressure on throwing QBs.

2) We are going to have to actually improve on getting to those QBs.

3) We are going to have to learn contain every play and tackle better.

4) Carson Whithead is gone, sadly. We are going to have to learn 2-3 more plays than dive left and dive right.

Now, before you guys go hang a rope off the archway of the stadium with my name on it, understand this: I'm not questioning our coaching. I'm not questioning our players heart and dedication. I'm simply stating what we have to do better to get coach his 300th win.

That is all...:popcorn:
We can define "supporters" a lot of different ways. I think "supporters" would hope they win every game but not put unrealistic expectations on them going into a season. I often wonder where some of these "supporters" are when I go to a baseball/softball/basketball game and see the empty seats. The true "supporters" are the ones who show up when things aren't going well. Fortunately, for Harlan County that hasn't happened yet. A lot of those "supporters" sure stayed home a lot when it was Cumberland, Evarts and Cawood during the lean years.
Bryan Station-away LOSS
Clay Co.-home WIN
Knox Central-away WIN
Belfry-away LOSS
Greeneville TN-home LOSS
Johnson Central-home LOSS
Perry Central-away WIN
Letcher Central-away WIN
Whitley Co.-home WIN
Bell Co.-home WIN

6-4.

I say 1-1 on the playoffs.

Second round loss to either Madison Southern again or Pulaski County, depending on who wins that district.

Final Record- 7-5
So, no.
Hold on there, Gut.
You are on the record as saying HCHS will not win the district. That means a 5-5 regular season.
HDE Wrote:Hold on there, Gut.
You are on the record as saying HCHS will not win the district. That means a 5-5 regular season.

That was before the Whitley hire.
All bets are off in the preseason.
HC will win district. I don't think it really matters next year. Distrct 7 will own the region again.

Abd yes, 7-5 for HC.
I don't think saying 9-1, 10-0, 15-0 is putting pressure on the players. They are in the weight room in January because they are trying to go 15-0. I will guarantee Coach doesn't care about 300. Someone had to tell him when he won 250 at Lee VA a few years ago.
They're are different "supporters": those fair weather ones that gave up after Belfry last year, or bad mouth the coaches, or the people that said I hope they don't open that stadium against Bell County because they'd hate to lose the first game there, or only come to the big games, the ones who question teenagers, then there's the ones win or lose are there waiting on the team in the parking lot to tell them how proud they are, or the ones who almost fight an old man in McDonald's over them. I'd say the ones of us on here talking about this in January are ones that will be there through thick and thin.

I guess I'm not a realist just the crazy one that tried to start an uprising on Madison Southern for staying the night in HC.
Picking your team to lose is just my biggest pet peeve.
TriCountySports Wrote:I'd say 7-3 to 6-4.

Some people are realists and some aren't. I bet Patriot thought UK would go 40-0 too. Ha! Just kidding.

I sure thought they'd beat Florida.
I totally agree with you that coach is not worried about getting 300 wins, but I do hope he gets in the 300 club before he retires.
I think the best shot is to win seven during the regular season and get hot in the playoffs.