Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why isnt KNOX Central more successful?
KNOX Central Middle School used to completely dominate the state of Kentucky at the Middle School level. Just cant figure out why their high school program doesn't win more or go to state every now and then. Their Middle School teams used to look as good as some high school varsity teams.
That is a great question
knox should make a run this year...64SUR Confusederiously:
A lot of kids either move to the city school or focus on other sports, mainly football. Knox is lucky to have 3 players stick together after middle school and continue to play with each other in high school.
Kids' bodies in our area also mature a lot faster it seems to me. I feel like our athletes in southeastern Kentucky spurt out by the time they're sophomores too and don't grow much more. I agree though a lot kids quit or move to other things. Clay County had some really good middle school football and basketball teams in the early-mid 2000's and did little with it.
P-O-L-I-T-I-C-S who you are??
Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner!
I always said the same thing about Breathitt County. They owned the 7th/8th grade state tourneys at KBA for a while and over half the kids would quit in high school. Don't know how that happens but it does.
There are a lot of places that have the same problem.
When kids hold back in 7th and 8th grade, they dominate the other schools. Here in Laurel Co, you can't play the year you hold back.

When these same kids get to high school, the talent level starts to balance out. I can't tell you how many kids I have seen dominate in middle school and get lost in high school. A mustache in 6th grade doesn't equal success in high school, I have learned.
TriCountySports Wrote:When kids hold back in 7th and 8th grade, they dominate the other schools. Here in Laurel Co, you can't play the year you hold back.

When these same kids get to high school, the talent level starts to balance out. I can't tell you how many kids I have seen dominate in middle school and get lost in high school. A mustache in 6th grade doesn't equal success in high school, I have learned.

Amen! Exactly what I'm saying. I know all schools do it but I've always heard Knox was the worst for holding back. I'm not denying that no one else does.
Hold backs, everybody got them! I truly think the difference is where you play them when you hold them back. I don't like holding a kid back and playing him w/ younger kids. I think it gives a young kid the idea he is better than what he truly thinks.
I wonder how many players in our new rankings have been held back. I personally know the Knox Central players (Barger/Marsee) have been because I am good friends with one of their old middle school coaches. I think Broughton may have been held back, but when he was younger, like third grade.