• 1(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who will be the new Coach at Russell?
With Ivan McGlone resigning/fired who does everyone think will be/want to be the new coach at Russell?:popcorn:
Buchanan, Cecil, Evans, Matney, Maynard and Morris.

I don't know for sure if any of them have been contacted or are interested but those are the names that I have heard mentioned so far.
While Morris is rightly mentioned, it is hard to see how the Russell administration could hire Morris if they are wanting a change. Not to mention he would have to own the results of prior seasons just as much as McGlone. Bottom line, Morris would be a suspicious hire at this point.

I personally think Joey Cecil has done a great job rebuilding Lawrence Co. and would continue the tradition of physical running football. He has some Russell ties too.

Hard to argue with Matneys record but I doubt he seriously wants the job. There is always his personality to deal with too. And frankly, this may be way off, but he seems a bit "mountain/country" to fit with the Russell contingent.
It wouldn't surprise me if it were Evans.

Wouldn't surprise me if it were Morris either. He has been very loyal. I'm not sure he wants it though.
I too think it would be kind of an odd fit for Matney. But that would be interesting.
Morris does well. I think he just likes doing defense. If I'm not mistaken it was his defensive skills that brought us our 2nd state championship. Evans is the only one with head coaching experience. Everyone I have talked to from the county like Evans and do not understand why he was let go there.
PaytoPlay Wrote:While Morris is rightly mentioned, it is hard to see how the Russell administration could hire Morris if they are wanting a change. Not to mention he would have to own the results of prior seasons just as much as McGlone. Bottom line, Morris would be a suspicious hire at this point.

I personally think Joey Cecil has done a great job rebuilding Lawrence Co. and would continue the tradition of physical running football. He has some Russell ties too.

Hard to argue with Matneys record but I doubt he seriously wants the job. There is always his personality to deal with too. And frankly, this may be way off, but he seems a bit "mountain/country" to fit with the Russell contingent.

From those that brought us Billy Ray Cyrus......
Nate Mcpeek or TJ
Hurricane Storm Wrote:From those that brought us Billy Ray Cyrus......

Lol. He ain't Country.
DevilWatcher Wrote:Morris does well. I think he just likes doing defense. If I'm not mistaken it was his defensive skills that brought us our 2nd state championship. Evans is the only one with head coaching experience. Everyone I have talked to from the county like Evans and do not understand why he was let go there.

I think a likely scenario is Evans as HC and Morris stays on as DC.
The right thing to do would be rethink this decision though and allow McGlone to finish on his own terms. To me the man has more than earned that.
Russell has relieved their entire coaching staff of their duties.
Russell wants Maynard.. Just a matter of if he wants them. IMO he's the best coach in the area and would be a slam dunk hire. Buchanan is also a great coach, I think he could do an excellent job as well. Everyone else would be plan B.
GoHerd_22 Wrote:Russell wants Maynard.. Just a matter of if he wants them. IMO he's the best coach in the area and would be a slam dunk hire. Buchanan is also a great coach, I think he could do an excellent job as well. Everyone else would be plan B.

Just IMO as well I believe TJ was 1 4 against Mcpeek at fairview so yes good coach but don't think he's head and shoulders better than anyone
GoHerd_22 Wrote:Russell wants Maynard.. Just a matter of if he wants them. IMO he's the best coach in the area and would be a slam dunk hire. Buchanan is also a great coach, I think he could do an excellent job as well. Everyone else would be plan B.

I would agree with that. I don't know if they could get either of them.
Actually 2-3 because Fairview was given a loss for 2012 as well bc they were caught cheating.. Who's responsible for your football team? The head coach. Nate ran a faulty program, that destroyed Fairview football. TJ has improved and brought discipline and respect to both Greenup County and Racelands programs.. No cheating, no lying to KHSAA, and most importantly no forfeits or playoff bans. I think Nate is a good coach, he knows football well but no way in hell would I hire him to lead my program. Sorry I'll pass.
I agree with NoPicks. Nate is too hot right now for anyone to hire him. I heard today that Russell has relieved the entire football staff of their coaching duties, any truth to that?
We shall see men if bobby Petrino can make it back anybody has hope
NoPicks Wrote:Actually 2-3 because Fairview was given a loss for 2012 as well bc they were caught cheating.. Who's responsible for your football team? The head coach. Nate ran a faulty program, that destroyed Fairview football. TJ has improved and brought discipline and respect to both Greenup County and Racelands programs.. No cheating, no lying to KHSAA, and most importantly no forfeits or playoff bans. I think Nate is a good coach, he knows football well but no way in hell would I hire him to lead my program. Sorry I'll pass.

We disagree nopicks but that's ok everyone has opinions I don't think Nate has any bad qualities got caught up in something I'm sure he wishes he could've changed but superintendent wanted to throw ppl under bus so coach goes that's life
NoPicks Wrote:Actually 2-3 because Fairview was given a loss for 2012 as well bc they were caught cheating.. Who's responsible for your football team? The head coach. Nate ran a faulty program, that destroyed Fairview football. TJ has improved and brought discipline and respect to both Greenup County and Racelands programs.. No cheating, no lying to KHSAA, and most importantly no forfeits or playoff bans. I think Nate is a good coach, he knows football well but no way in hell would I hire him to lead my program. Sorry I'll pass.

Also if memory serves me correctly greenup was rolling with back to back district titles when TJ took over so it wasn't broken and raceland had Vanderhoof so wasn't broken. I think Tj is good coach and be good wherever
I think Maynard will go if Russell can come up with the $
It's not posted on KHSAA website!
Would Russell take a shot at Tom Harmon from Wayne, WV?

McGlone cut his teeth before going to Red Devil Way... Harmon certainly has built Wayne into one of the premiere programs in WV, but one would think the resources may be a little better up the road a little bit. There is also the whole thing about a bigger pond and more competition.

Maybe Harmon is wired to be content being a big fish in a small pond where he is almost assured a 12-13 win season every year...maybe he longs to prove his merit on a bigger stage? His style would mesh well with Russell's feeder program and make the transition easier for the upcoming classes.
Who ever cones in I think you will see a change in the offensive style. For some reason a lot of people weren't happy with the wing t.
FBALL Wrote:Who ever cones in I think you will see a change in the offensive style. For some reason a lot of people weren't happy with the wing t.

I think you have to deviate from the Wing T as an incoming coach...from the shear perspective of winning over the natives. With that said, I still think the best way for someone to immediately be successful at Russell is to work with the gifts you already have...those gifts lend itself to a run heavy team. To try and deviate from that could potentially have disastrous effects until the talent pool and athleticism can match the style.
Talent will be fine. The adjustment in style would take some time.
It generally takes 3-5 years for a coach to get his, his staff, and his team's identity. Whoever comes in needs to do what McPeek did at Fairiew whe he came in, from an offensive standpoint. He can win over the natives, while coaching to the teams abikities, but runnig a spread wing or spread vear. Russell has the atheletes to get down field as well be successful in the screen game. Question is do they have a ab with the arm? Time will tell
GoHerd_22 Wrote:I agree with NoPicks. Nate is too hot right now for anyone to hire him. I heard today that Russell has relieved the entire football staff of their coaching duties, any truth to that?
Yes I believe all were pink slipped and told to turn in their keys. Evans will take over the weights program seeing that he still is the track coach. I just hope whoever they hire is not a UKs version of Billy Gillispie. Lol
FBALL Wrote:The right thing to do would be rethink this decision though and allow McGlone to finish on his own terms. To me the man has more than earned that.

The problem lies directly with the Superintendent. He's the one getting the press, being lauded for being a young administrator who has made a tough decision...it's crap. Russell has bigger problems than their football program with this guy as Superintendent. I e-mailed a Russell graduate today from the early 90's to let them know what had transpired and to let them know who was now the Superintendent. Their response was, "well, that doesn't say much about the direction the Russell school system is going in."
I don't agree with it but it did take a lot of guts to do knowing how beloved coach McGlone is. To say the direction of the school system is wrong though is a bit of a stretch. Academically Russell is one of the top schools in the state. Athletically they have been and will continue to be very successful. This move though it bothers some of us is one that others have pushed for. I've personally just have to much respect and admiration to shove the man out of the football program that he built.
  • 1(current)
  • Next