Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clay County 79 Corbin 78
Final from Manchester. Clay wins on a last second shot by Cotton. Great game.
Pretty big win for the Lady Tigers.
Good win for the tigers.
I'm the first to admit when I'm wrong. I thought clay would have dropped off more than they have. The have NO bench but a pretty good starting five with everyone understanding roles. I was impressed I have watched them three times and I keep waiting for the no bench to hurt them but it hasn't yet. I think cotton and Robinson has both improved tremendously. Congratulations to the tigers!
Cotton 27 including game winner, Robinson 16, Woods 13, Roberts 13, T. Mathis 8, K. Mathis 2. Great comeback from double digit deficit and 2 technicals in 2nd quarter. No home cooking, just a hard fought win. Corbin has adjusted well to Coach McDaniel. The 13th region tournament is going to be one of the most balanced and competitive ever.
Olred Wrote:I'm the first to admit when I'm wrong. I thought clay would have dropped off more than they have. The have NO bench but a pretty good starting five with everyone understanding roles. I was impressed I have watched them three times and I keep waiting for the no bench to hurt them but it hasn't yet. I think cotton and Robinson has both improved tremendously. Congratulations to the tigers!

They have no bench but they have the best coach in the Region by a long way.
Been watching boys and girls basketball in the mountains for years, and I have to say I agree with you insideinfo. He doesn't get the credit he deserves cause he has been fortunate to have good players. You don't win as much as he has and not be at the top of the region.
Nice region win for the Lady Tigers

l
Burchell getting some love, I like it. This is still a good team. However, I do agree if they only had a girl or two that could come off the bench and give good minutes they may be more like 8-4 instead of 6-6. I told everyone that Cotton would be the most improved player in the region and she has shown that.
walterwhite Wrote:Been watching boys and girls basketball in the mountains for years, and I have to say I agree with you insideinfo. He doesn't get the credit he deserves cause he has been fortunate to have good players. You don't win as much as he has and not be at the top of the region.

Someone has to develope good players if you don't develope them you turn into Knox Central.
Burchell is a very good coach, but can you name a girls coach who hasn't won big at Clay?

I don't think he's the best coach by "a long way" though. Clay won when they were picked to win. There are other good coaches in the region. Nolan took HCHS to the finals three times and did not inherit three powerhouse programs when he took over. None of them were very good at the end, to be honest.
Not being a smart aleck but how many has Nolan won. Win a title and get back to me.
HDE Wrote:Burchell is a very good coach, but can you name a girls coach who hasn't won big at Clay?

I don't think he's the best coach by "a long way" though. Clay won when they were picked to win. There are other good coaches in the region. Nolan took HCHS to the finals three times and did not inherit three powerhouse programs when he took over. None of them were very good at the end, to be honest.

When you have talent you have to get it out of them on the court and Burchell,has proven he can get it . The one reason Clay has always had talent is they are always the most fundamentally sound team in the region and I don't think that is even close either. Someone had to teach those fundamentals. I've always believed that Nolan was on top of the list on everyone else.
I'd say they learned some fundamentals in middle school and those state championship AAU teams. That's why they were picked to win the region - they won on the lower levels. I think he coached some of those teams though, so he had a lot to do with it.
Burchell is a great coach. I just don't know if he's head and shoulders ahead of people like Teague, Nolan, Snyder etc....
I thought he was a good coach in the 90s with the boys team at Clay, but it's hard to follow a legend.
Fair enough. It's just good to see some credit being given for the job he has done. There are some good coaches in the region, but he is in a small, make that a very small, group at the top.
HDE Wrote:I'd say they learned some fundamentals in middle school and those state championship AAU teams. That's why they were picked to win the region - they won on the lower levels. I think he coached some of those teams though, so he had a lot to do with it.
Burchell is a great coach. I just don't know if he's head and shoulders ahead of people like Teague, Nolan, Snyder etc....
I thought he was a good coach in the 90s with the boys team at Clay, but it's hard to follow a legend.

I'm not sold on Teague, he got out coached bad in the Region Final last year. The coach that impresses me is Akeil. I kind of think it is between him and Nolan as the second best coach in the region.JMO
Corbin is going to struggle late in the year.
what some call fundamentals and what I call fundamentals are two differen't things lol
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Corbin is going to struggle late in the year.

Probably about like last year. They just fell apart.
Clay county is back in the the hunt Confusednicker:
E's Army Wrote:Probably about like last year. They just fell apart.
If you mean by falling apart as winning region, I'll bet every team hopes to fall apart...