Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paducah Tilghman Coach Randy Wyatt resigns
It is confirmed on the Paducah Sun website.
I don't have any details
Thank the Lord above. Maybe PT can right the ship now that the captain is done.
Now to everybody who was in denial of the excuses made about pt coaching staff.. proofs on the paper.. this sucks cause I was really enjoying beatin them, we were starting to make headway on the series but now with the opportunity of new coaching staff comming in.. it could be bad news for us and great news for the program.. they deserve a chance at a great program for the community and for the kids.. wander who will take the keys?
ontopofthewest Wrote:wander who will take the keys?

There will be plenty of applicants. They need to go outside the program and see if they can get a big name. If they get a good coach and one who can motivate instead of tear down a kid then PT can be dangerous especially with all the athletes that they have.
They should try to get Shanks. He apparently had the program headed in the right direction. Without him PT was 1-6. With him they were 7-0. Enough said.
mysonis55 Wrote:They should try to get Shanks. He apparently had the program headed in the right direction. Without him PT was 1-6. With him they were 7-0. Enough said.

Their record was a product of who they were playing at that point not who was coaching them.
mysonis55 Wrote:They should try to get Shanks. He apparently had the program headed in the right direction. Without him PT was 1-6. With him they were 7-0. Enough said.

Also, why would anyone want a coach that walked out on them? You can say what you want but even if the coaches had disagreements, they should have made ammends and toughed it out. All the blame cannot go to Wyatt.
You must not understand the captains ship. I keep hearing this product of their schedule crap. Did they not beat a very highly touted team just the Friday prior to the big blow up?
mysonis55 Wrote:You must not understand the captains ship. I keep hearing this product of their schedule crap. Did they not beat a very highly touted team just the Friday prior to the big blow up?

Not really. South Warren had a very suspect offense. They weren't an offensive juggernant. Stopping them wasn't some unbelievible feat.
Well there were certainly plenty of people expecting them to come to PT and win that 1. Not to mention they had just beaten a very good Russellville team.
mysonis55 Wrote:Well there were certainly plenty of people expecting them to come to PT and win that 1. Not to mention they had just beaten a very good Russellville team.

I would think Tilghman would always be the favorite at home against a team of similar stature.
mysonis55 Wrote:Well there were certainly plenty of people expecting them to come to PT and win that 1. Not to mention they had just beaten a very good Russellville team.

You all act like Matt Day (the defensive coordinator) has never coached a day in his life. Schematically there was no difference in any game they played this year, win or loss. Now motivation wise that could be possible but dont sit there and tell me that Webster, MNH, Adair County are on the same level as Highlands and Mayfield.
Paducah should replace all the coaches that are on the team. Clean house because none of them seemed to be able to make adjustments during a game.
Gut is available
This has been brewing for 2-3 years. Even in the state championship year, there was constant turmoil: 12-14 players quitting; Wyatt was suspended; parents meeting with the supt. Then there was the firing of the booster club officers. Wyatt has an intense, confrontational style that is off-putting to many who do not know him. The man knows speed and can coach speed. In retrospect, he probably made some staffing decisions out of loyalty and friendship rather than what was best for the program.

The primary issue - There has been a systemic breakdown in the teaching of fundamentals: of blocking, tackling and catching. Players reached the varsity level who did not know how to block, and thus, held. They saw nothing wrong with a late hit or chop block. Dropped passes became a chronic problem. There appeared to be constant confusion on the offensive side. As has been said, no one could figure out what Tilghman was doing, because Tilghman did not know what they were doing.

In the long haul, PT lost many games it should have won and won scant few games that it should have lost. The departure of Larry Shanks, and the subsequent poor showing in the Wayne game was probably the last link in the chain.

Not saying Tilghman would have beaten Wayne with Shanks coaching, but it would have been a different game. Tilghman's own players were tweeting before the Wayne game that they wanted Shanks back and thought Day was weak. PT lost that game before they came out on the field. (I do not know Coach Day - I am only relaying what the players were saying.) Larry Shanks lit a fire under these kids that no other coach was able to do.

One thing that always tainted the Wyatt era was the way he was hired, from basically a captive selection of an in-house search. That was always cited by his detractors. He won a lot of games but he also was blessed with a stable of athletes that could have won for any coach. By my count - he had one player on a D1 roster this year. That's not a lot for the quality players he has coached.

Tilghman needs to get the best pool of applicants they can. It has to be someone who can build a good program in a non-confrontational style. A leader who has discipline and respect, but who also is not a lightening rod for controversy. Someone like Steve Lovelace, just tossing a name out there. I sincerely hope the hire is not from within.

From what I hear, the talent level at Tilghman is going to fall off after this year unless new kids move in or physically grow. The next coach has his work cut out for him.
You Tilghman fans just don't need to come shopping at Mayfield, lol. Our coaches love coaching there. Lovelace would be a great hire, Lawson at Calloway would be another I would think, didn't he coach there a few years ago?
I have seen Chuck Smith's name mentioned, but PT would have to pay dearly to get him and I strongly doubt any interest on his part. Lawson for several reasons would not be a good fit @ PT. I have been impressed with what Steven Carter has been able to do @ Union County and he had a solid background before that as DC @ Crittenden Co. Myers @ Russellville consistently builds good teams from a small student population but has also has an administrator's title there so I doubt he would leave. Lovelace is probably content @ Christian Co but typically has a very competitive program. John Edge @ OC has built fierce teams; Steve Duncan @ Murray HS has done an outstanding job.

My suggestion: Could PT lure Shawn Berner out of coaching retirement? Proven winner and dynasty builder @ FC (112-31). I doubt it. That's who I would go after first.

I do not think PT is a job for someone who has not been a head coach before. There is a (mostly dormant) alumni base. Fans and the community have a tepid embrace of the program. There are lots of behavioral and attitudinal factors for a coach to get his arms around. You will have a lot on your plate.
Could Tilghman get Caldwell or Murray's HC if they really wanted them?

The new McCracken County High School has to be in the forefront of everyone's minds. New School, wide open offense, and from the sounds of it much more community support, and much less in terms of question marks.

One would think PT needs to make a home run hire or you could see several current Tornadoes transfer.. or more importantly..future Tornadoes that chose to attend McCracken.
Tica Wrote:I have seen Chuck Smith's name mentioned, but PT would have to pay dearly to get him and I strongly doubt any interest on his part. Lawson for several reasons would not be a good fit @ PT. I have been impressed with what Steven Carter has been able to do @ Union County and he had a solid background before that as DC @ Crittenden Co. Myers @ Russellville consistently builds good teams from a small student population but has also has an administrator's title there so I doubt he would leave. Lovelace is probably content @ Christian Co but typically has a very competitive program. John Edge @ OC has built fierce teams; Steve Duncan @ Murray HS has done an outstanding job.

My suggestion: Could PT lure Shawn Berner out of coaching retirement? Proven winner and dynasty builder @ FC (112-31). I doubt it. That's who I would go after first.

I do not think PT is a job for someone who has not been a head coach before. There is a (mostly dormant) alumni base. Fans and the community have a tepid embrace of the program. There are lots of behavioral and attitudinal factors for a coach to get his arms around. You will have a lot on your plate.

Chuck Smith's name will be rumored with every single high profile open position.
A lot of of the incessant hype about McCracken this year resulted from Mayfield fans justifiably pumping up their early season win 1A over 6A. McCracken was solid as a first year and went about as far as they could go. That program is new in name only. Its basically the same Lone Oak program in new colors with a few players from Heath and Reidland. As long as PT continues to defeat them, PT is not in danger of losing kids to McCracken. McCracken may use the coaching change as a tool to lure kids straddling the fence. But the recent trend has been the opposite with McCracken kids coming back to PT starting with ex-Lone Oak Quarterback Tyler Presnell who led Tilghman to a win over his former team in 2011.

The key will be to get a coach who can hit the ground running and who can assemble a staff and engage the kids. Some of the current assistants will probably stay on as teachers and how that fits into the future will be a piece of the puzzle. The big issue is that anyone who comes in is going to have to develop a lot of young and unproven players. PT has a very capable soph QB returning but will be thin elsewhere.
Chuck Smith may be a long shot, but PT would be a fool not to at least reach out to him.
If he is interested at all at a HC position in HS, Tilghman would have a lot of positives going for it. For instance, Calipari has been quoted as saying " I was waiting for my phone to ring" when UK hired Gillespie.

Shawn Berner could be an interesting possibility, I am not sure that he actually retired but stepped aside to pursue other interests. So maybe those interests have changed?
You will not know unless you speak to the man.

Pat Gates- Hmmmm- I do not even know where he is at now?
Didn't he have a gig with Rawlings?

Steve Duncan is an interesting candidate, he has done well at Murray, but I worry at times his offense is a touch old school. Maybe that is just a personnel issue. I would hope a new PT coach would want to maximize our speed potential.

None the less, my point is --open this hiring process up--.
Go after a QUALIFIED coach with PROVEN HC experience.
Post this job nationally and see what kind of interest you can get, WKY is a desireable place to bring a family and/or retire. AND, reach out to some of the aforementioned coaches and others that you think may fit the bill.
Swing for the fences, make a big-time hire, do not settle for some mediocre local yocal who is a "great guy".
A great coach WOULD put PT back into the spot it needs to be-
truebluefan89 Wrote:Chuck Smith may be a long shot, but PT would be a fool not to at least reach out to him.
If he is interested at all at a HC position in HS, Tilghman would have a lot of positives going for it. For instance, Calipari has been quoted as saying " I was waiting for my phone to ring" when UK hired Gillespie.

Shawn Berner could be an interesting possibility, I am not sure that he actually retired but stepped aside to pursue other interests. So maybe those interests have changed?
You will not know unless you speak to the man.

Pat Gates- Hmmmm- I do not even know where he is at now?
Didn't he have a gig with Rawlings?

Steve Duncan is an interesting candidate, he has done well at Murray, but I worry at times his offense is a touch old school. Maybe that is just a personnel issue. I would hope a new PT coach would want to maximize our speed potential.
None the less, my point is --open this hiring process up--.
Go after a QUALIFIED coach with PROVEN HC experience.
Post this job nationally and see what kind of interest you can get, WKY is a desireable place to bring a family and/or retire. AND, reach out to some of the aforementioned coaches and others that you think may fit the bill.
Swing for the fences, make a big-time hire, do not settle for some mediocre local yocal who is a "great guy".
A great coach WOULD put PT back into the spot it needs to be-

Berner's interests haven't changed. He is making more money than he knows what to do with. I know these for a first hand fact.

No offense, but I've never understood this statement when it comes to old school offenses. Granted, I will give you this, Murray has zero passing threat which catches up with them. I think they had something along the lines of 150 total yards passing going into the DeSales game.

You can maximize your speed and talent from the wishbone, I Bone, Wing T, flexbone or any other offense for that matter. You had two 6A schools playing in the finals that we're both old school Wing T, there might have been 10 total passes in the ball game b/t the two and that's a stretch. Belfry won it and I don't think they completed a pass the whole game (if so, it was only a couple). DeSales, while window dressing with other formations, roots are Wing T to the core & they ran it a ton (along with those very same schemes from other formations, which makes everybody think its a different offense and it's not).

With that said, you have to be able to throw it or at least have the threat and sometimes that does enough just having a threat
Hopefully they will find the right man for the job without messing in Mayfield.
Reach for the stars PT. Give Dale Mueller a call.
Mack Brown is retiring. Maybe he wants a high school job.
I honestly think they should talk to Steve"Head" Lovelace, who has a ton of resources to bring to the table with him,I dont know if he is interested in the job but that would be a start. I dont think they could persuade any of the Mayfield assistants to come over there but they have about three assistants that have been head coaches at other places and they have some young assistants that would make great head coaches, although they do need someone with head coaching experience. Brad Lawson would also make a great head coach, Joe Prince heck it all leads back to Mayfield
Head would be great for PT.
Brad Lawson would be an excellent hire.
Head is great for everyone.
Let Lawson continue to work his magic at Calloway. I am actually surprised a man with all of his qualifications and talent left Mayfield.

Lovelace was rumored to have been looking hard at the Henderson County job and the Madisonville NH job too.

CC Football

2013 5-7
2012 9-3
2011 10-2
2010 12-3
2009 8-5
2008 13-2