Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ryle- Who becomes HC
Let speculation begin.

I really believe that this Head Coach hunt will end early and not make it to February like people are speculating.

At this point I believe Mike Woolf will become the HC. He will move Harden to DC and will retain Belk, Grey & Ryan from the current Staff along with the Freshman Coaching Staff.
TNT, you are much closer to the situation than I, but I sense an entire house cleaning. The whole culture of the program needs to change and in my opinion, the retention of any but a token of the staff would not be embraced. This is a staff that believes you play your best 15 or so (at any level) and that's it. In addition, whether perception or reality, the culture of parent coaches needs to go.
Pick6 Wrote:TNT, you are much closer to the situation than I, but I sense an entire house cleaning. The whole culture of the program needs to change and in my opinion, the retention of any but a token of the staff would not be embraced. This is a staff that believes you play your best 15 or so (at any level) and that's it. In addition, whether perception or reality, the culture of parent coaches needs to go.

Agreed Pick6 I would be very surprised if there wasn't an entire house cleaning.

I wish Coach Warner well and hope he lands on his feet coaching elsewhere.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
I believe that all but maybe three coaches will change. Woolf (if he. Chooses to stay) Harden(DB's) and Ryan(O-line, if he decides to return)will likely return no matter who the head coach is. Coach Colly should stay as he is loved by all.
I will say this again- people who are not in the know keep bringing up "Daddy Coaches". This is a perception issue and is related to the Davis situation in 2011-12. That situation was rectified immediately following the season- Davis was released. Other than that the Daddy Coaching situation is a bunch of swirl. I have known everyone of the "Daddy Coaches" and non of their kids have been shown any favoritism. As a matter of fact those kids have had to do much more than anyone else just to see the field. If perceptions exist they come from people who are unaware of the realities of the program. In addition some of the"daddy Coaches volunteer to do things that other parents refuse to do- some are given titles to set up head phones etc... They do not coach a soul. Let's be clear that ryle only has about 7 paid positions and of those only Woolf is paid. I may be off by 1 but I don't think so. The reality is that the program has chosen to move in a different direction. That decision is based on a multitude of factors. You can rest assured that the administration will hire the very best coach available.
I agree with pick6, I think there needs to be a change in culture.
Raiderforlife Davis coached through spring practice and left to move to central Kentucky so you are a little off on the whole daddy ball being released situation. You have said it in other post that Nathan Davis was the best option for the Raiders to win last year. I can assure you there was no daddy ball going on in that situation. Davis has coached 20 plus years and his son was one of the best athletes on the team. SO your timeline and such are no correct. I wish the Raiders the best, they deserve it. I do believe that all the volunteers that help out are perceived as full paid coaches and people don't understand how Warner organized the program to have those people play rolls during game day. Just an excuse for people to whine and cry when they don't get their way. Trust me a lot of the 2012 parents whined a lot and Warner listened, a big mistake on his part, but had nothing to do with ballboys, or field set up guys, or stat men or film guys and their sons getting playing time is stupid for people to say.
Trust me a lot of the 2012 parents whined a lot and Warner listened, a big mistake on his part, but had nothing to do with ballboys, or field set up guys, or stat men or film guys and their sons getting playing time is stupid for people to say. Quote:

Correct....and unless you've been a head coach, you have no idea how crucial/important these folks are to a program.
ABSOLUTELY CORRECT Mandan, these are the jobs no one wants but when you find a group that will do them so you can focus on coaching your team they are invaluable.
I think a lot of people don't realize what a HUGE job being a head football coach entails. Then, you add the fact that most of them are full time teachers as well, and frankly, I'm amazed they can find anybody to do this job.

There is paperwork galore, academic accountability and eligibility verification, fundraising, scheduling, 6 months of off season conditioning, interfacing with parents and boosters, interfacing with local media, staffing decisions, handling athlete disciplinary issues, interacting with the d1/d2 college recruiting community to try and get kids on scholarships.

This is far from a complete list. I'm sure I am missing a lot. But the bottom line is, if a HC can delegate paperwork issues to a volunteer assistant, it is a great help. This is not Texas, where a HC is a six figure full time employee. This is Kentucky, where a head coach might make a five figure income and has to have another job to support their families.
I am very close to that situation and Davis was released. But the issue was that the dad often blamed others when his son made mistakes. That is a fact. That is the full degree of "Daddy Ball". In any case it was corrected.

The new coach will need to solicit volunteers to do those same jobs. I guess he will have to get the moms to do it so as not to alienate people on this cite!
^everything you say is 100% truth I back that completely
Take Randy Wyatt from Paducah-Tilghman.
I'm sure there will be applicants from everywhere,
Supplemental program thru the little Raiders and two stellar underclass groups will have multiple coaches eyeing this job.

Coaches that want Ryle's facilities (besides a weight room), feeder programs and financial support can achieve it just by taking this job.

Now there is a lot of pressure on whoever this next coach is to at least provide a .500 season next year but this is a very we'll setup job for an incoming coach. The tools to win are in place.

I am certain the big mouthed Boosters will leak applicants names as they flood in so we will see who all lines up for this job.

I was also told Warner has already been offered the Lloyd job from the same source that told me Warner was on the oust before the last game of the regular season.
TNT-MB1 Wrote:I was also told Warner has already been offered the Lloyd job from the same source that told me Warner was on the oust before the last game of the regular season.

where did Turner go?
No clue I just put up what I was told thought others might find it interesting
As of 2:40pm today Warner has "resigned" as head coach of Ryle High School's Football program...
Sad day for Warner but I am sure he will land on his feet. I actually think that he will feel some relief in a few days- the outside pressure on him must have been tremendous. With this announcement the kids can start to prepare their minds and bodies for the future. They can and will hit the weight room to begin the process of getting bigger, stronger, and faster. In the words of Warner now the real season starts.
Great Head coach would be Coach D or Woolf!

Praying for a awsome year in 2014!
I am pulling for Woolf to get the job. He would make a great coach for Ryle he will bring in fresh blood and will dispose of 90% of the current staff. He's a Cov Cath guy so I guarentee he will draw in some good Offensive coaches
road runner Wrote:Great Head coach would be Coach D or Woolf!

Praying for a awsome year in 2014!

I totally agree about Coach Woolf, but in no way do I see Coach D being looked at for the HC position.
TNT-MB1 Wrote:I am pulling for Woolf to get the job. He would make a great coach for Ryle he will bring in fresh blood and will dispose of 90% of the current staff. He's a Cov Cath guy so I guarentee he will draw in some good Offensive coaches

I think that number is a little high.
CJTank74 Wrote:I think that number is a little high.

I agree but the same group of parents that are a majority reason that Warner was let go wanted an entire new offensive staff.
Coaches I know they had it out for - Warner, Belk, D, those names were on the list two others are parent coaches you can figure out who

Those were the 5 names I was told would go before the Butler game. I think everyone is an excellent coach but this same group of parents lead the charge against Warner and someone listened. I also think they used Belk as a scape goat a lot of the time but I like Belk he fires the players up he is a good coach beside the public perception. Coach D is an excellent coach but his way of not sugar coating things I'm sure is why those parents wanted him out. The other two coaches won't be back either way so there is no point to mention them.

This group led the charge and got enough people saying the same thing to force Turners hand. Warner lost more support each week and it started at the end of last season and built to this point as more folks jumped into the Fire Warner boat.

I won't list the names but anyone in Union knows who they are.

This firing has 20% or less to do with wins and losses. Everything to do with players not playing positions they wanted to play & the offensive style of Warner. Another factor was a lack of Warner helping non-favorite players be recruited.

He was notorious for not picking up the phone.
"Another factor was a lack of Warner helping non-favorite players be recruited. "

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pick6 Wrote:"Another factor was a lack of Warner helping non-favorite players be recruited. "

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will see if I can find the copy of the questionnaire they sent out to parents and post it. It was ballsy and those are the words from the group.

NOT MINE
I know when the Morgan kid left it was spun as a relocation unrelated to athletics. From what I understand, Morgan had all the 8th grade and freshman reps at QB. Can the truth be told now?
CJTank74 Wrote:I totally agree about Coach Woolf, but in no way do I see Coach D being looked at for the HC position.

For the record I spoke with Coach D and he made it clear that he was not interested in the HC position. He told Warner two years ago that he would not coach his son. The only reason that he did it this year was because Coach Brennier asked him and told him that he would only have to coach him(his son) for a year. It was also positioned that he could get his son ready for the varsity staff. For that reason you will not see him throw his name in the mix although he would be a good candidate.
Raiderforlife Wrote:For the record I spoke with Coach D and he made it clear that he was not interested in the HC position. He told Warner two years ago that he would not coach his son. The only reason that he did it this year was because Coach Brennier asked him and told him that he would only have to coach him(his son) for a year. It was also positioned that he could get his son ready for the varsity staff. For that reason you will not see him throw his name in the mix although he would be a good candidate.

Agreed and Woolf informed the team yesterday that he would be applying for the job I am told.

This job will likely attract alot of surprising applicants due to the classes coming up including this Upcoming Senior group. They have a strong feeder program now that coaches dream about building. Why not move to where its already built? That fact alone could attract Coaches from programs you would never think of leaving there current job. I was also told Warner made decent money being just a football coach at Ryle as I am told 70,000 is designated to football at Ryle by the Board of education not including stadium or locker-room maintenance. Take out equipment and buses and such there is still alot there for a strong salary.

Another few interested names I have learned of today-

Pat Townsend- Great Offensive mind great former coach and even if Woolf gets the Job I would bet money he will be calling Townsend to come back to the program no matter what. I would consider him one of the biggest coaching losses of Warner's Career.

Mike Parker- I am told this is more to be an OC for whoever the new coach will be though.

Bernier- I believe this is more rumor and parents nominating him. He is a good coach but I believe that Woolf would receive it before he would.

Highlands D Coordinator- Was told he has expressed interest but why would you leave if your next in-line for the throne.
Warner resigns after 11 seasons at Ryle
Bryson Warner is the last coach of a Kentucky high school football team to defeat Highlands; he once led Ryle to a state championship game and state semifinal finish, but winning just five games combined over the last two seasons led to him resigning on Monday.
Ryle athletic director Jim Demler announced it as a resignation with a press release late Monday afternoon after Warner met with the players around 2:30 p.m. on Monday to tell them he was stepping down after 11 seasons as head coach.
In those 11 seasons Warner compiled a 73-58 record and had two 12-win seasons. The Raiders went 12-3 in 2006 and lost in the Class 4A (at the time the big-school division) state championship game to Louisville Trinity, and in 2010 when they went 12-2, including a win over Highlands in the regular-season finale to become the last Kentucky school to beat Highlands, and advanced to the Class 6A state semifinals where they lost to Trinity.
Ryle had just 12 wins combined the last three seasons, including a 2-9 record this season and a 3-8 record in 2012.
“We appreciate Coach Warner’s time and commitment to our football student-athletes over the past 11 seasons,” said Demler. “He is a good person and we wish him the very best in his future endeavors. The Ryle athletic administration will seek new leadership for its football program and move forward.”
Warner, who played football at Boone County and Western Kentucky University, was just the third head football coach in the history of Ryle, which opened in 1992. Dave Eckstein served as head coach from 1992-98 and Kyle Hockman followed from 1999-2002 before Warner became head coach in 2003.
Demler said Ryle will start accepting resumes for the position effective immediately through Jan. 6 with the interview process beginning after that, but said the school doesn’t have a specific timetable to hire the new head coach.
http://nky.cincinnati.com/article/AB/201...asons-Ryle
Aka- Forced Resignation
Highlands Def coordinator is not ready for a head coaching job of this magnitude.