Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where did Wayne Co. come from all of the sudden?
I'm not predicting a Wayne Co. victory over Central, although I wouldn't be surprised if it happens, but thats not really the point of my thread.

I can't be the only one thinking this thought: "When did Wayne Co. become capable of statewide recognition in football?"

I've been following KY football from Pikeville to Paducah for longer than I'd like to admit and I never remember Wayne being in consideration for a deep playoff run, let alone a title. They are a legitimate team in 3A and have as good a chance as any team remaining to bring home the hardware this year. I love seeing KY football becoming more competitive, and by that I mean for the talent to rise, not fall to mediocrity. Wayne Co. has raised their level of play tremendously over the last couple of years and I can't help but wonder:

How did it happen?

Was the talent always there, but they just needed the right coach?

Is there a wave of football talent coming through Monticello that hasn't been seen before and is it sustainable?
I feel like every school has their group of kids that come through that are just special. I know Somerset has had a really strong athletic group for the past 5 years but I don't know how strong they are going to be in the years coming. I think Wayne just has a great group of athletes coming through right now. Its all about development at the young age. I know back in 2009 When Somerset was in their district they were always mid to bottom of the district. If a school gets a few transfers on top of that then teams can get good quick. Not saying Wayne had transfers by any means.
Leonidas Wrote:I'm not predicting a Wayne Co. victory over Central, although I wouldn't be surprised if it happens, but thats not really the point of my thread.

I can't be the only one thinking this thought: "When did Wayne Co. become capable of statewide recognition in football?"

I've been following KY football from Pikeville to Paducah for longer than I'd like to admit and I never remember Wayne being in consideration for a deep playoff run, let alone a title. They are a legitimate team in 3A and have as good a chance as any team remaining to bring home the hardware this year. I love seeing KY football becoming more competitive, and by that I mean for the talent to rise, not fall to mediocrity. Wayne Co. has raised their level of play tremendously over the last couple of years and I can't help but wonder:

How did it happen?

Was the talent always there, but they just needed the right coach?

Is there a wave of football talent coming through Monticello that hasn't been seen before and is it sustainable?

Wayne is curious case to me as well. It appears it is the classic case of getting the right coach, being patient, and letting him develop talent at the HS level as well as the Middle School.

Thompson has been the Head Coach for a while and looking back over the years Wayne has had mediocre to good teams for several years now. Several 2nd Round exits.. several close games...

In the modern era of "win now" and needing immediate results it looks like Wayne County stuck with a Head Coach who took them from perennially bad to perennially mediocre. A lot of programs all too often cut bait and then you are left re-building your program from scratch.

It appears he is a good coach as evident by the fact he elevated Wayne early on and established a baseline of where they needed to be... I am now thinking that you are seeing the products of an maturing feeder program that are starting to instill the system early on and build a tradition. This is probably a bumper crop of talent that has taken them to the next level, but the fact their Middle School was a State Runner-Up this year is proof that the program in general is making another step in the right direction.

Wish more schools would follow the lead of Wayne County and give a Coach a chance to build it over time instead of being impatient.
Wayne County has got progressively better over several years. They have a great senior class with Guffey being a standout. They will slide backwards a little next year but I think they will stay competitive from this point going forward if they continue what has been put in place.
Coach Thompson is 1 of the better coaches in the state nobody knows about. His teams are typically hard nosed and very physical.

They have a great group of Srs. with around 20 of them. Guffey the QB could be a Mr. Football canidate if he was in the Golden Triangle of LEX, LOU and NKY.

They really begain to turn the corner about 7-8 years ago and have been building the current team for 4 years. Most of this years group have started since they were freshman.

They IMO will fall back down in 2014 after losing a huge group of SRS. Also they just consolidated with Montecillo and will be moving up to either 4A or 5A in next realignment.
TopCat Wrote:Coach Thompson is 1 of the better coaches in the state nobody knows about. His teams are typically hard nosed and very physical.

They have a great group of Srs. with around 20 of them. Guffey the QB could be a Mr. Football canidate if he was in the Golden Triangle of LEX, LOU and NKY.

They really begain to turn the corner about 7-8 years ago and have been building the current team for 4 years. Most of this years group have started since they were freshman.

They IMO will fall back down in 2014 after losing a huge group of SRS. Also they just consolidated with Montecillo and will be moving up to either 4A or 5A in next realignment.

I would hate to be a team moving up to 4A or 5A. Those are tough classes to win.
I don't want you to take this statment as if its a fluke season it's not, TopCat and Buffalo are both correct it's just one of those years when everything comes together 20+ senior a good coach, everyone has put the time in and the increase of talent.

Plus it doesn't hurt that Mt Football is down due to the decline of coal and jobs in EKY

Special team yes put them on the football map not just yet

with that said they are my pick for State Champs
Wayne Co has been a well coached team for the last several years and has always seemed to have good schemes on both sides of the ball, just never had enough athletes for it to work completely.

That said in this world of what have you done for me lately it's amazing that the coach has had as much time as he has considering some of the off field stuff that has happened. But the school admins like the coach and some indiscretions get over looked when a team is winning.

That said I'm rooting for the Cards to go all of the way, but they have probably the hardest path from here on out in the state with Central, Tilghman and Belfry waiting in front of them.
They have a want to win attitude,17 seniors, Guffey is as good as any qb in the state, and a coach that knows how to prepare the team for games. I wasn't quite sold on Guffey till after the I seen him a second time. He has the ability to throw long, run the ball, or hit quick short routes. Wayne has a real good team and Guffey makes them go from ok to state title winners. This all starts in middle school and builds up to the jr and sr year for most kids. If you don't have a good feeder system and a good highschool coach then it's not possible. If you have all the right stuff in place you can build a winning program. IMO they will win the title this year and fall back a bit next year but nothing like where they have been in years past. I think they continue to have winning seasons but this is great chance to bring home the hardware. Hats off to Wayne co and hope you boys are able to fight thru the weather conditions tonight and knock off central.

Does anybody know a radio station that carries the game online?
Guffey is as good as they get. He will be a STUD and a steal at a smaller College.
I'm not sure how it is today, but back when I played athletics against Wayne County, most of their students were 1-sport athletes. The basketball players didn't play football if I remember correctly, and vice-versa. I think a few of the athletic basketball players are playing for them now. I'm thinking that maybe their coaches are simply getting the athletes out that wouldn't normally play. I hope Wayne wins the whole thing this year. If they're ever going to do it, this would be the year. As previously mentioned, it's harder to win 4A and 5A.
Wayne was good last year folks should have beat central last year like Williamsburg should have beat hazard and look at us now.now we advance :Cheerlead
It matters to not to me the length of the journey a traveler has taken. The fact that they are here gets them a seat at the table.
Central doesn't have a station TV or Radio. Wayne Co wmkz 93.1 does but they don't stream online and coverage will be limited to Wayne Co
I agree with most things said about Shawn and the Wayne Co. program. He does a tremendous job, get's the kids out and keeps them out. Works hard and holds them accountable. I think he has the full support of the Administration and Staff. They are having huge crowds and has the community behind This School and Team. Lot's of pride in Wayne County now, and that is Great. Now go win the big one.
Coach Thompson is a great coach and his staff know the game. They have been consistent with their message and stayed true to their process. It takes time to build a program, Wayne is a model for others to build a program the right way, discipline, dedication, consistency and time! It helps to have some good athletes like they have too, kids who were developed by the program from developemental leagues and off season work outs!

It is great to see Wayne Co doing well. Gives other rural schools hope and a blueprint for sucesss!

God Speed Cards!!!
There used to be a local/regional sports outfit called Pegasus that broadcast audio of the Louisville Central playoff games and streamed the audio on Ihigh. I have no idea if they are still around. That was 2-3 years ago.
I always thought Wayne had a tough basektball team and remember a bunch of good bball players that went through that school, but when it came to football, they never could get over the hump of beating Corbin and that was there biggest downfall IMO. They were stuck against a Corbin team who didnt lose a district game for over a decade.
Wayne played them close a couple of times, but it was Corbin who always kept them from getting one step ahead.
Now that Corbin is down, and Wayne was able to retain a bunch of guys, you can see the difference.
People really need to look at how far this team has come since 2009. In 2009 McCreary Central beat Wayne 30-12. McCreary had a good team that year, Wayne has stood behind Shawn and now are reaping the fruits of hard work and dedication. Hope they win it all!!!