Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DuPont Manual 41 Ballard 0
Final
Congrats to Manual.
Oliver Lucas said his Manual High School football team is playing its best ball of the season, and after Friday night's performance it would be difficult for anyone to argue with him.

Mason Motley threw four touchdown passes in the first half, Michael Nero rushed for 110 yards and the Manual defense dominated in a 41-0 rout of host Ballard in a first-round Class 6-A playoff game.

As efficient as his offense was, Lucas was most proud of a defense that posted its first shutout of the season. Ballard finished with six first downs, three turnovers and minus-7 rushing yards.

"Our defense played stellar," Lucas said. "When they made a big play our kids hustled to the ball, and we made the play. They have an outstanding offense over there ... but tonight was our night."

Manual (9-2) - No. 12 in the state in The Courier-Journal's Litkenhous Ratings - will play at No. 5 Trinity in a second-round game next week.

Trinity (5-5), winner of three straight Class 6-A state titles, beat Manual 38-30 on Oct. 11.

"We just have to finish drives," Motley said of the rematch with the Shamrocks. "We had three or four drives stall in the red zone and didn't get any points. If we finish drives we should have a shot at beating them."

Motley finished plenty of drives against Ballard, completing his first 12 passes and finishing 12 of 16 for 160 yards. Matthew Cissell was the top receiver with three catches for 70 yards and two TDs.

But it was one of Manual's smallest receivers - senior Tyler Wojack - who might have made the play of the night. His twisting catch in the end zone resulted in a 32-yard touchdown that gave Manual a 19-0 lead with 5:42 left in the first half.

It was just the second catch of the season for Wyjack.

"I have a lot of weapons, and even my smaller targets made a play today," Motley said of Wyjack. "I didn't even think he caught it at first."

Motley's second touchdown pass of the night to Cissell - a 41-yarder - made it 27-0 with 3:30 left in the first half, and the rout was on.

Ballard coach Mike Jackson said Manual took advantage of a Bruins defense that had to key on Nero, who rushed for 248 yards on 42 carries in the Crimsons' 14-7 win over Ballard on Sept. 20.

"You have to bring your safeties up some, and (Manual) saw that," Jackson said. "They did a great job coaching-wise, did a better job coaching than I did."

Manual erased all doubt in the first 55 seconds of the second half. Jordon Gonzalez returned the opening kickoff 62 yards, and two plays later Motley went up the gut for a 24-yard touchdown run that made it 34-0.

Timothy Comstock's 29-yard touchdown pass to Jalen Carter gave Manual a 41-0 lead and started the mercy-rule running clock with 9:32 left in the fourth quarter.

Junior D.J. Smith anchored the defense, intercepting a pass and posting one of Manual's five sacks of quarterback Rex Wallace.

"We sent the blitz a lot more than we have in the past, and it worked for us," Smith said. "They weren't ready for it."

http://lms.usatodayhss.com/louisville/ar...of-ballard
Much bigger margin than I would have expected.