Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many forward passes can be thrown in one down?
This has little to do with the Harlan County @ Bell County game that was played last Friday night but to initiate this question. I have been asked to not post in that thread again because TopCat wants it to die. I agree.

However, investigating this question has become a quest of mine. I've asked everyone that I know and have received a ton of answers. At least eight percent of you guys think you can only throw one forward pass. The other twenty percent feels you can throw as many as you want, as long as only one is done across the LOS. Spirit100 even offered me links to prove the later.

So, let's hear it....

I'm really anxious to find the true answer here. I would love any links, or educated opinions.
Depends on what set of zebras u get . But u would think the anwser is one time .
But if u get flags or off sides I guess as many time hit takes u to run a play.
1 time.
Once a forward pass is made and crosses the LOS, the LOS no longer exist. But a team can throw as many laterals or "backward" passes as they want. This gets tricky for the side judges when a team throws a Flea flicker or lateral pass out toward the sidelines then throws it down field since the sideline judge must see that that it was a lateral and not a forward pass.
One forward pass per down. Before 2005, NFHS rules allowed more than one forward pass on a play provided it was behind the LOS. In 2005, that changed.
^
I heard that as well.

The exact situation is throwing a forward pass BEHIND the LOS to WR, who then throws another forward pass down field. Is that legal or not?
Granny Bear Wrote:^
I heard that as well.

The exact situation is throwing a forward pass BEHIND the LOS to WR, who then throws another forward pass down field. Is that legal or not?

Illegal.

If you're going to throw a pass to a WR who is then going to throw one down the field it has to be a lateral pass.

I've seen a couple of times where a QB has thrown a ball and it got batted at the line of scrimmage and the QB caught it before it hit the ground and tried to throw it again. Both times ended in penalties for an illegal forward pass.

That same situation happened in the pros once as well. If I remember correctly, Brett Favre's first pass was a completion to himself. He also tried to throw it afterwards and got flagged.
Granny Bear Wrote:^
I heard that as well.

No not according to the rule that says only one forward pass per down behind or beyond the LOS. The pass to the WR must be a lateral.
Thanks to everybody!!

I will go murder spirit100 now!!

Confusednicker:
A forward pass is not the same thing as an over hand pass.......... A forward pass is a pass beyond the line of scrimmage and you can only throw one, but and over hand pass behind the line of scrimmage as long as it's backwards is know as a lateral and you can throw as many as the defense allows
^^
I understand that. No matter HOW you handle the football, if the direction of the pass is to the side or backwards, it is considered lateral. However, if the football is thrown, and caught in front of the QB, it is a forward pass. Only one of those is allowed in one down, and the location of the receiver, i.e. behind or in front of the LOS, doesn't matter. If yards are gained from the QB to the point of catching the ball, it is forward. Right?
bucslover68 Wrote:One forward pass per down. Before 2005, NFHS rules allowed more than one forward pass on a play provided it was behind the LOS. In 2005, that changed.

This Granny! Confusednicker:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
Only one forward pass is allowed. The question would be the judgement on the forward pass. A lot of people get confused when they see the qb throwing and his foot is across the line that he throws to. They think this is a lateral which in most cases it is. What you have to look at though is the path of the ball. It is not where the front foot is. It is where the ball is when thrown. The back shoulder and arm could be on the back side of said line and therefore goes a bit forward instead of back.
Correct, but you also have to consider that this is to the discretion of the line judge who is on average 30 yards from the play and usually not in line with the play but looking at an angel (which usually gives a backwards pass look on most plays in the back field) and at full speed this is a judgment call at best and comes from an understand of the game in most cases.
http://www.iahsaa.org/football/2012%20Fo...r%20IA.pdf

The official National Football HS Rulebook which the KHSAA abides by.

Page 59, section 5 makes this clear as mud :biggrin:!

Zagas and other similar responses are correct. Sorry Granny the link I sent you was pre 2005.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-Mahatma Gandhi
No excuses!!!!
Confusednicker:

In all seriousness, I've had 3 coaches and a couple of active officials tell me the same thing that YOU did, Spirit100. Need to keep up with the times, huh?
The rule was changed in 2005 and only one forward pass is now allowed, regardless of crossing the LOS.

The confusion comes because college football still allows more than one forward pass as long as ball stays behind the LOS. I think I saw Oregon or Washington State run a play which used 2 forward passes not too long ago.
Only 1 forward pass behind the LOS is allowed period. You can lateral the ball as much as you like, but 1 forward pass behind the LOS and that's it.
Granny Bear Wrote:Thanks to everybody!!

I will go murder spirit100 now!!

Confusednicker:

I told you the truth!

Did you have to double check my high standard of answers?!?!?!

After all, i was the first you asked!

If you could throw two forward passes, then RB's would be catching screen passes right behind the LOS and throwing it downfield.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I told you the truth!

Did you have to double check my high standard of answers?!?!?!

After all, i was the first you asked!

If you could throw two forward passes, then RB's would be catching screen passes right behind the LOS and throwing it downfield.

I tried to tell her also Gut. Of course she said she ask 10 people and only 1 other agreed with me. I guess that was you. I don't think she will ever learn that yourself & I are the only answers she needs. Confusednicker:
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:I tried to tell her also Gut. Of course she said she ask 10 people and only 1 other agreed with me. I guess that was you. I don't think she will ever learn that yourself & I are the only answers she needs. Confusednicker:

Good, it will take the pressure of me :igiveup: !
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-Mahatma Gandhi
Spirit100 Wrote:Good, it will take the pressure of me :igiveup: !

Confusednicker:
HOW do I get myself in these messes???