Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many 4 seeds have beaten a 1 seed since the 6 classes began?
?
I think it happened early on in the realignment and i may be crazy, but I seem to remember the 6a super district having a 4 beat a 1. Maybe Manual over Male? Cant remember for sure
2008 Simon Kenton 33-6 over Lafayette.
Fort Knox beat Glasgow in 2010... 30-28
In the 1999 4A Playoffs #4 Bullitt East beat #1 Southwestern 19-15. Southwestern was 9-1. They're only loss up to that point was by one point, 33-32 to a Boyle County team that finished 15-0.
hop24 Wrote:2008 Simon Kenton 33-6 over Lafayette.

SK made it to the state finals that year, I think they're the only 4 seed to make it to the finals
toussaints Wrote:SK made it to the state finals that year, I think they're the only 4 seed to make it to the finals

Was a fun ride untill the finals.:biggrin:
Walt Longmire Wrote:In the 1999 4A Playoffs #4 Bullitt East beat #1 Southwestern 19-15. Southwestern was 9-1. They're only loss up to that point was by one point, 33-32 to a Boyle County team that finished 15-0.

This was the game i had in mind. Ive mentioned it a couple of times this year.
You beat me to it walt.

Wasnt that Bullitt East team hurt the majority of the year, and then got there players back before the playoffs?

Funny to think a team goes 9-1 with a one point loss to the eventual state champion fell to a 4 seed in the first round.
I think it happened a lot more in 4A.
I remember there were a couple of times in 4A ball that 1 seeds from the mountains would have to travel North or West and usually get beat, or only the 1 seed would win by a close margin.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:This was the game i had in mind. Ive mentioned it a couple of times this year.
You beat me to it walt.

Wasnt that Bullitt East team hurt the majority of the year, and then got there players back before the playoffs?

Funny to think a team goes 9-1 with a one point loss to the eventual state champion fell to a 4 seed in the first round.

Yep, that's exactly what happened. Bullitt East made it all the way to the semi-finals that year.
Those were some of the best years for high school football in this state.
Seemed like a lot more fun and intense back in those days.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Those were some of the best years for high school football in this state.
Seemed like a lot more fun and intense back in those days.

Overall I think the talent level is better now. The problem now is 6 classes. It results in too many mismatches in district play and the early rounds of the playoffs. It also makes scheduling much tougher with most teams only having 3 or 4 district games.
Walt Longmire Wrote:Overall I think the talent level is better now. The problem now is 6 classes. It results in too many mismatches in district play and the early rounds of the playoffs. It also makes scheduling much tougher with most teams only having 3 or 4 district games.

I can agree with that.
Speed and talent may be better now as the game has evolved. 6 classes waters down the playoffs, but I will always believe kids were tougher in those days.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I can agree with that.
Speed and talent may be better now as the game has evolved. 6 classes waters down the playoffs, but I will always believe kids were tougher in those days.

I played in the mid to late 80's and we thought the fame thing about the kids from your era. I think every generation thinks that. The kids now are pretty tough. My son was a senior 2 seasons ago and I didn't notice a big difference in the physicality of the players. I think in general the kids are just as tough, the game had just changed to where speed, and especially spacing, is much more of a factor.
Bourbon Co. back in 97 seems they came out of their district a 4 seed. And not only beat LC in the semi's they won Championship Game that year. I could be wrong about them being a 4 seed.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I think it happened a lot more in 4A.
I remember there were a couple of times in 4A ball that 1 seeds from the mountains would have to travel North or West and usually get beat, or only the 1 seed would win by a close margin.

I remember one year in particular where the Lexington district swept all 4 first round playoff games from the eastern KY district. That was the year Scott Co beat Whitley at Whitley.
In the old 4 class system, #4 Raceland beat #1 NewCath in the first round in 1997. I think that was the only time a 4 seed from our district beat the #1 seed in the NKY district in the old allignment. There were also quite a few times that the #4 team in the NKY district put a beat down on the #1 seed in Raceland's district. Today's Raceland and Fairview players have no idea how good they have it to be out of that brutally hard region.
THEBIGDAWG Wrote:Bourbon Co. back in 97 seems they came out of their district a 4 seed. And not only beat LC in the semi's they won Championship Game that year. I could be wrong about them being a 4 seed.

Bourbon County was actually a 3 seed in 1997.
Henry Clay made the finals in 1995 as a 4 seed.
#4 Henry Clay Beat #1 Madison Central on 2 occasions in the 2000's
rojas Wrote:I remember one year in particular where the Lexington district swept all 4 first round playoff games from the eastern KY district. That was the year Scott Co beat Whitley at Whitley.

Yup, that was the type of thing i was talking about earlier.
The year you are thinking about is 2001, all 4 teams from that LEX district beat all 4 seeds from that mountain district.
If im not mistaken, they swept that district two or three times.
That was the bad part of being 4A and having half the kids as those other schools.
#4 Boyd Co. beat #1 Bell County some years ago.
Seem to remember Henderson Co. losing at least once possibly twice as the 1 seed from their district in the four class system. I'm thinking Christian County may have put them out as a 4 seed. Don't quote me on that though, my memory isn't what it used to be and my Internet sucks too bad to look it up at the moment.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:This was the game i had in mind. Ive mentioned it a couple of times this year.
You beat me to it walt.

Bullitt East was the defending region champion and was favored to repeat. After winning their first district game they had SEVERAL key players suspended for discipline issues. After losing two district games back to back the suspension was lifted they won their last three games and got the #4 seed. The rest is history.
#4 Fort Knox beat #1 Glasgow 2010.
In 2007 #4 Shelby County beat #1 Scott County 60-56.
2011:

Powell County #4 in its district defeated Lewis County #1 in its district by a score of 45-0.

Powell County had also defeated Lewis County by a score of 25-6 earlier in the season.

http://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/kh...fb11/35179

http://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/kh...fb11/35126
Powell in 2011 and IMO 2013.......
1991 #4 Bell Co won the state championship I believe this was 3A could have been 4A not sure Bell has been relined so much. They were ranked #4 due to having to forfeit all of thier regular season games due to an eligible player who didn't play in playoff
^^^^ineligible