Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recruiting
This is not what you are thinking, I am not referring to recruiting players from other schools. I was wondering how good your school is at recruiting from within the school itself. When I was in high school at Raceland there were alot of kids walking the halls that could have helped our football team but didn't come out for one reason or another. For instance, if alot of our basketball players that didn't play football came out they could have helped us out tremendously. How many of your schools have undiscovered talent walking through the halls that could possibly benifit the football team?
Good subject....

For real.
Honestly, every single one of them. There isn't one high school in the entire country that doesn't have at least one kid walking the halls that has untapped potential. I can think of a ton of boys in high school that could have been great ballplayers. A lot of them started on the team as Freshman and stopped playing due to academics and other reasons.

Then there are the other kids, the ones like me, I was ask several times my freshman year why I wasn't on the team because I was built like a linebacker. I had athletic aptitude, I had played football, basketball and baseball until my freshman year, however I had moved a lot and by the time I was a freshman I was more into to computer programming and the "geeky" stuff than I was sports. I thought I had fallen too far behind to have a chance at playing in HS. There are a ton of kids like that out there, the ones who feel they aren't cut out for it and never try. One of my biggest regrets was not playing for Coach Haywood and his staff. As a senior I was 6'2 255 lbls, not doubt in my mind they would have made use of me somewhere even if it was only in practice.

I think if I was ever a head coach I would call a school assembly, dismiss everyone who was already going out for football and then have a discussion with the rest as to why they didn't want to come out for the team. I think reaching out to theses kids and offering rides, academic tutoring and other things would help bolster teams numbers.
Football is a major investment of time for everyone involved and many kids are not gifted for the sport. As a parent, I'm not making that investment so my kid can be a tackle dummy on the scout team.
I agree that football is not for everyone and there are some kids that shouldn't play football. However, I would venture to say that most schools do not make the most out of the kids that are in the school, especially the small schools. I think a big issue with a lot of kids not playing is a lot of schools have a "good ole boy" mentality and no matter how good someone may be they will never take another kid's spot because that player's dad played there or his parents are boosters. I am not saying this happens everywhere but it probably happens at a lot of schools, especially those in rural communities. It is just interesting to think about the talent pool that schools lose out on every year because kids that could be good know they won't be given an opportunity. I believe small schools especially miss out because they cannot afford to lose players due to a small school enrollment size.
Pick6 Wrote:Football is a major investment of time for everyone involved and many kids are not gifted for the sport. As a parent, I'm not making that investment so my kid can be a tackle dummy on the scout team.

I can kinda see this point, there is also the monetary aspect of it. Here in GA the local high school has a player pak that all players must purchase from the booster club that ranges from $475 to $1475 that includes, cleats, socks, girdle, warm ups and shirt/shorts to practice in and other things depending on what you pay. They also have team dues somewhere around $400 dollars and must fundraise, this can be a bit daunting to many.
A lot of the EKY kids couldn't play in GA! Most boosters do the fund raising for their teams!
Pick6 Wrote:Football is a major investment of time for everyone involved and many kids are not gifted for the sport. As a parent, I'm not making that investment so my kid can be a tackle dummy on the scout team.

And there lies the one issue. This is not aimed at this poster. Playing time and instant gratification is the number one reason for kids to not play a sport. Especially a sport that demands extensive time and overall sacrifice that football demands. Im glad I was born in a different era. Roll Tide
Boyle has alot of talent walking the halls and they always have Chuck smith got more of them to play than any coach Boyle has had his last year Boyle dressed around a 110 players now the numbers are around 50 give or take a few.
The son who did not play football gave it up to swim on a USA swim team. Can you say 5:30 am practices 4 times a week! USA swimming makes the time investment in football look puny. Seriously! Too many kids play football because their PARENTS want them to play instead of following their own passions!
Orange Blaze Wrote:I agree that football is not for everyone and there are some kids that shouldn't play football. However, I would venture to say that most schools do not make the most out of the kids that are in the school, especially the small schools. I think a big issue with a lot of kids not playing is a lot of schools have a "good ole boy" mentality and no matter how good someone may be they will never take another kid's spot because that player's dad played there or his parents are boosters. I am not saying this happens everywhere but it probably happens at a lot of schools, especially those in rural communities. It is just interesting to think about the talent pool that schools lose out on every year because kids that could be good know they won't be given an opportunity. I believe small schools especially miss out because they cannot afford to lose players due to a small school enrollment size.
It dosent hurt that bad. Raceland may loose some home grow kid, but they pick up some of Russell and Greenups players. Same as fairview, kids quit playing and they seem to pick up a few here and there to keep the program afloat. What generous schools. They should be the models for all school systems
mightydog Wrote:It dosent hurt that bad. Raceland may loose some home grow kid, but they pick up some of Russell and Greenups players. Same as fairview, kids quit playing and they seem to pick up a few here and there to keep the program afloat. What generous schools. They should be the models for all school systems

Its about one thing. "Charisma" from the head coach. These programs that have less players than before, 90% of the time its because the coach doesn't have the same charisma he did when he started or as the guy that coached before. Not talking about coaching here, completely different. Is Calipari one of the best x and o guys in the business? In my mind not close but he is the best salesman by a long shot.
Ive never been a proponent of talking a kid into playing football. If the kids walking the halls had the passion and dedication it takes to be a good football player at any level. They'd be on the team already. In my experience, for every one kid that you talk into playing that turns out to be a good player. You have 5-10 that quit because they either, don't like hitting or getting hit, don't like practicing, don't like the position they're playing because it doesn't involve throwing, running with, or catching the football oddly enough. Those aren't very good odds. I understand football is a numbers game at any level. But I'd rather have 25 kids on a team that ALL want to play than a team of 40 who I had to talk into playing. It's like my dad used to say "If you have to talk someone into something, someone can come behind you and talk them out of it just as easily". Coaches need to focus on getting the kids who want to play ready to play. If they do that properly then the rest will take care of itself. Just my opinion and my opinion + $1.50 will get you a bottle of Pepsi in most places...Wink
We have one of the fastest kids in our school, with decent size for rb or wr walking the halls of mhs. His brother was a wr a couple years ago and I think he would be better. He only wants to play bball though. We got another 1 about 6'2" and pretty athletic also only playing bball. We got another decent athlete that only wants to play baseball. I was figuring the athletes that I knew were capable of helping us that aren't playing this year just the other day. I think it was 12-15. That's a lot when you have only got 60 or so dressing in grades 9-12.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Ive never been a proponent of talking a kid into playing football. If the kids walking the halls had the passion and dedication it takes to be a good football player at any level. They'd be on the team already. In my experience, for every one kid that you talk into playing that turns out to be a good player. You have 5-10 that quit because they either, don't like hitting or getting hit, don't like practicing, don't like the position they're playing because it doesn't involve throwing, running with, or catching the football oddly enough. Those aren't very good odds. I understand football is a numbers game at any level. But I'd rather have 25 kids on a team that ALL want to play than a team of 40 who I had to talk into playing. It's like my dad used to say "If you have to talk someone into something, someone can come behind you and talk them out of it just as easily". Coaches need to focus on getting the kids who want to play ready to play. If they do that properly then the rest will take care of itself. Just my opinion and my opinion + $1.50 will get you a bottle of Pepsi in most places...Wink

There is a lot of truth in this. I still believe however that every school has a handful of kids that want to play but have some obstacle (Transportation, grades, etc)blocking them. A lot of times there are procedures in place to help with these things but many do not know this and just assume that the issue they have is preventive .These are the kids I think the coach staff can reach to help the numbers.
Pick6 Wrote:The son who did not play football gave it up to swim on a USA swim team. Can you say 5:30 am practices 4 times a week! USA swimming makes the time investment in football look puny. Seriously! Too many kids play football because their PARENTS want them to play instead of following their own passions!

Why do most kids get out of bed in the mornings? Because their parents make them. Why do most kids go to school each morning? Because their parents make them. Why do most kids clean their room or mow the yard? Only if their parents make them. Yes, I will admit that I had to make my son play football to start with but now he actually gets up on his own to participate in extra football activities and loves it. He has long quit baseball, a sport that I didn't have to make him play. If my son followed his own passions as a youth then he would be 300lbs plus playing video games. IMO there are more dysfunctional kids walking the halls of the schools who don't play football then dysfunctional kids that do. I, for one , am happy that I gave my kid direction. As in baseball, had he wanted to quit football as he got older than I would have supported his decision. FYI my younger son plays football also and mainly cause I encourage (make) him.
Unfortunately a lot of kids "die on the vine" in youth and middle school football due to ineffective leadership.

Kids need to be coached at a position and provided reps to stay engaged. Too often I witness coaches who talk a mean game about preparation, yet don't deliver and Johnny loses interest. Kids have a great bs meter. If you're not genuine with them, they'll make other arrangements or play for someone that is.

I also see a lot of kids, as mentioned before, who have paired down to two or just one sport/s. The three sport athlete is becoming the minority due to time constraints, coaches expectations, and money.

There are good, persuasive coaches who can turn a kid back to football. The instances of that happening, however, I think are few and far between. Most of the kids have made their mind up at the end of their 8th grade season if they want to continue the gridiron journey.

I share your disappointment Blaze, I cross paths with 5-10 athletes every Friday night who would make our high school squad better.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
Well, I am an advocate for after school programs whether it be sports, band, FFA, etc.
And, I believe that every kid has a place in one program or another. But, when it comes
to only football, IMO there are a few things to consider before playing at the HS level or
above.

1) the LOVE for the game; Does the kid have the passion to make the commitment.
2) Military Future; Is the kid striving for a military challenge after graduation? If so,
Football can be a great learning lesson for a military career.
3) Discipline: Does the kid need the discipline that comes with football?
4) College: Using football as an avenue to pay for college. There are tons of colleges
begging kids to play. If they have any ounce of talent, they can get money for
school.

The bottom line is that no matter what program a young adult chooses, he/she will grow
and develop into a person that contributes to society as a whole. Just my opinion!
Spirit100 Wrote:Unfortunately a lot of kids "die on the vine" in youth and middle school football due to ineffective leadership.

Kids need to be coached at a position and provided reps to stay engaged. Too often I witness coaches who talk a mean game about preparation, yet don't deliver and Johnny loses interest. Kids have a great bs meter. If you're not genuine with them, they'll make other arrangements or play for someone that is.

I also see a lot of kids, as mentioned before, who have paired down to two or just one sport/s. The three sport athlete is becoming the minority due to time constraints, coaches expectations, and money.

There are good, persuasive coaches who can turn a kid back to football. The instances of that happening, however, I think are few and far between. Most of the kids have made their mind up at the end of their 8th grade season if they want to continue the gridiron journey.

I share your disappointment Blaze, I cross paths with 5-10 athletes every Friday night who would make our high school squad better.

Agree and love what you say, plus one more thing that I would like to add. In talking with kids and, for that matter many adults, I have heard many(and I mean "many") say I should never have quit football. This includes people that are now adults and kids that have only been quit a year or two. How often is it that you hear a person say " wish I had never played football at all"? Most people that quit football regret it later in life.
AtlPirateFan Wrote:There is a lot of truth in this. I still believe however that every school has a handful of kids that want to play but have some obstacle (Transportation, grades, etc)blocking them. A lot of times there are procedures in place to help with these things but many do not know this and just assume that the issue they have is preventive .These are the kids I think the coach staff can reach to help the numbers.

I see what you're saying. But you and I both know that if ANY kid wanted to play football @ our respective alma maters. Both coaches would do whatever they could to get that kid on the team no matter if he'd be a starter or benchwarmer. All they'd have to do is talk the coaches...