Poll: Who wins
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mercer County
71.43%
Knox Central
28.57%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mercer County @ Knox Central 11/8/13
Mercer county travels to Knox Central for the first round of state 4a playoffs.
Thought??
Although I would love to see the Panthers win this one and represent district 6, I am afraid they are just too beat up. Good luck to the Panthers from the Laker Nation!
Knox Central is a MASH unit. Mercer by 7.
A completely healthy Knox Central might make this competitive, but with the injuries and key players not 100%, I think Mercer takes this one by 2 TDs or more.
Been a tough year for the Diamond side of Panther Nation for sure. Started with a bang. Casey tossed 3 touchdowns in a half for a big team win. Rarely see that from a hs QB at any age never mind a Fresh. Then tossed another TD in game 2 and watched his fellow Fesh kick game winning FG. Break out the story book... LOL. Then Coach Russell made the decision to go with a different option - understandably when you are a run program facing a tough schedule and that is your wheelhouse. So be it - we agreed to disagree. And I stand in support of him despite that disagreement.

Then a kid launches himself headfirst into Casey's head. Boy did that change things for me. Seeing my precious son laying there. Face numb. Unable to move for fear of paralysis. Ambulance.... Backboard.... Prayers... CT scan - and good news - he walked to my car. I was never so happy. And still find myself giddy just watching him walk around. Today - I pray he walks away from this game - forever. Really. Of course I will support him no matter what.

Two years ago Codi (KC Class of 2011 / eldest Diamond son) lost 20% of his senior season when a TN ref ejected him for throwing a punch. He did not - but that is the refs job. Two D1 colleges walked away from the recruiting process. Big penalty to pay for nothing more than pushing a kid off you. Today, a player can launch himself like a missle at a kids head - head first - and all that can happen is a 15 yard penalty. I don't even blame the kid who did it nor the kids who do it every Friday night. They are coached for the big hit. Does a kid ever get pulled for taking an action that could end another kids life? Never. That is why in 10-20 years football as we know it will be gone. Lawyers, insurance companies, and parents with kids in wheelchairs will see to that.

So can KC beat Mercer? Don't know. I just pray that every kid who steps inside those stripes does so knowing that a helmet is designed for protecting your memories, your ability to add, your mom and dad's name, and the capacity to know your own children someday. It is not a weapon and a free license to take all those gifts into your own hands to make the "big hit". If that happens and we win - great. If that happens and we lose - so be it - lets train.

Dave Diamond
[email]cdavediamond@gmail.com[/email]
If the panthers can get back to the power run then they will win this game pretty easy. If not it could be a long night. Either way I'm proud of how these boys have played this year.
Does anyone know what kind of offense mercer county runs?
Pass
Power run
Or mix of pass and run
Knox central 28
Mercer co 21
IMO if Knox is gonna beat Mercer they better have a good passing game 'cause Mercer is pretty good against the run.
Football1 Wrote:Been a tough year for the Diamond side of Panther Nation for sure. Started with a bang. Casey tossed 3 touchdowns in a half for a big team win. Rarely see that from a hs QB at any age never mind a Fresh. Then tossed another TD in game 2 and watched his fellow Fesh kick game winning FG. Break out the story book... LOL. Then Coach Russell made the decision to go with a different option - understandably when you are a run program facing a tough schedule and that is your wheelhouse. So be it - we agreed to disagree. And I stand in support of him despite that disagreement.

Then a kid launches himself headfirst into Casey's head. Boy did that change things for me. Seeing my precious son laying there. Face numb. Unable to move for fear of paralysis. Ambulance.... Backboard.... Prayers... CT scan - and good news - he walked to my car. I was never so happy. And still find myself giddy just watching him walk around. Today - I pray he walks away from this game - forever. Really. Of course I will support him no matter what.

Two years ago Codi (KC Class of 2011 / eldest Diamond son) lost 20% of his senior season when a TN ref ejected him for throwing a punch. He did not - but that is the refs job. Two D1 colleges walked away from the recruiting process. Big penalty to pay for nothing more than pushing a kid off you. Today, a player can launch himself like a missle at a kids head - head first - and all that can happen is a 15 yard penalty. I don't even blame the kid who did it nor the kids who do it every Friday night. They are coached for the big hit. Does a kid ever get pulled for taking an action that could end another kids life? Never. That is why in 10-20 years football as we know it will be gone. Lawyers, insurance companies, and parents with kids in wheelchairs will see to that.
So can KC beat Mercer? Don't know. I just pray that every kid who steps inside those stripes does so knowing that a helmet is designed for protecting your memories, your ability to add, your mom and dad's name, and the capacity to know your own children someday. It is not a weapon and a free license to take all those gifts into your own hands to make the "big hit". If that happens and we win - great. If that happens and we lose - so be it - lets train.

Dave Diamond
[email]cdavediamond@gmail.com[/email]

I am sorry that your son was injured earlier this year, but this is not the place to get rules changed. Coaches do NOT teach their kids to lead with their heads or try to hurt someone on purpose, but sometimes things just happen. You have to understand that football is not just a contact sport, it is a violent game, and people get injured playing it every day. Players are bigger, stronger and faster which leads to harder hits than before leading to more injuries, its the risk everyone takes by playing the game. You need to voice your concerns to the KHSAA or the NFHS not to the people on this site, we can not change the rules that you are wanting changed, but they can!
Jack Lambert Wrote:IMO if Knox is gonna beat Mercer they better have a good passing game 'cause Mercer is pretty good against the run.

Knox Central is in big trouble if this is the case because their passing game is really bad. Teams like Bell Co. and Corbin stacked the box against them and didn't miss a lot of tackles, and Knox couldn't do much about it.
Mercer County 30
Knox Central 20
I hate to say this but Mercer County is not a bad squad. And from the sound of everyone on here, Knox Central is not very healthy. With that in mind and if Im a betting dude, well im going with the Titans. 21-17
FBfan4life Wrote:I hate to say this but Mercer County is not a bad squad. And from the sound of everyone on here, Knox Central is not very healthy. With that in mind and if Im a betting dude, well im going with the Titans. 21-17

I pick the upsets. You make the bets. Whats the world coming too? Btw, I like the prediction. Knox Central hasnt had any luck this year and Mercer County continues to improve. Mercer by a score. Good luck boys!