Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biggest 1-year Turn-Around in KHSAA Football History
I find myself cheering for the "underdog" on numerous occasions it seems like. There are a few programs who are having somewhat of a down year this year. I was curious to know some of the best 1-year turn-arounds in the history of the state. For example, which teams went 2-8 and came back the very next year to go 8-2, etc. Just thought this may be an interesting topic to get a conversation going. :popcorn:
The biggest turnaround I know of is in
08 Lawerence Co was 0-11 an in 09 they went 12-1
Lawrence County from 0-11 to 12-1.
1996 Bourbon County went 3-7
1997 Bourbon County went 12-3 and won the State Title
Lawrence County was the first one that came to mind also. But it has been mentioned.
One worth mentioning for me personally is Boyle County having some down years after the Chuck Smith era going 5-7 in 2007, fired head coach Chris Pardue and brought in Larry French. Boyle County was an immediate contender in 4A going 13-0 before losing to Bell County on Log Mountain by 2 points.
None bigger than Lone Oak. Lone Oak hadn't won a game in 3 years time prior to Jack Haskins era. He came in and I think in his second year went to state.
All interesting feats and great improvements. 55, do you happen to know the years and records for Lone Oak during that run?
If memory serves me correctly Haskins took over either in 08 or 09. 09 was their 1st trip to state.
Tilghman went from 2-8 and no playoffs in 2008 to 9-6 and 3a state champ in 2009 and 12-3 in 2010. Not as striking as Lawrence County's one year swing except for the title.
Scott High School for the overall turnaround of the program.

I remember back when they'd be lucky to win a game or two each season and now Coach Woolley has them sitting at 6 and 0!!

On a side note, Woolley's old man coached me in pee-wee my midget year and we should have gone undefeated but our starting running back got bitten by a dog (we only had something like 13 players).

We still won the Super Bowl and Cranberry Bowl.
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
Betsy Layne
It is what it is, but for the past 2 seasons East Ridge has been 1-19. This year they are 6-2 so far.
mysonis55 Wrote:If memory serves me correctly Haskins took over either in 08 or 09. 09 was their 1st trip to state.

That was their 2nd. Their 1st was in '07 when Cory Robinson went for over 5K in passing, and Lone Oak got beat by LexCath in the 4A Finals.

Amazing job by Haskins nonetheless.

My vote is Bourbon County in '97, though.
Not as impressive as some of these schools, but anybody familiar with Powell Co football knows the huge recent turn around, they went 29 years without a winning record, 04' 3-7 05' 4-6 06' 2-8 07' 1-9 08' 3-7 09' 6-5, in 2009 we lost to Estill Co- lost in the 3rd tound of playoffs, Breathitt Co- lost in state championship, Harlan Co Central lost in 2nd round of playoffs, Bath Co lost in 2nd round of playoffs, and lost to Taylor Co in 1st round of playoffs on a last second HB pass for a TD, taylor was a 1 seed and powell was a 4 seed, they played a tough schedule and managed to get their first winning season and first playoff birth in school history, being part of that team was something truly special, and it was all thanks to the great coach Mike Whitaker, since they've had 4 straight winning seasons and two playoff berths including a 3rd loss to Garrad Co in 2011, this is a huge turnaround
Lawrence County was the first team to come to mind.

On the flip side, Johnson Central went 11-1 in 2000 and then followed that up with a mark of 2-8 in 2001. Needless to say Bruce Humphries was not around very long...thankfully!!
The Lone Oak turn around was just the biggest I knew of. They were the west ky door stop until Haskins took over. We all thought he was crazy when he took that job. Probably the only time I've ever been wrong.
State title with numerous losses trumps a 1-loss season comeback every time in my opinion. It's all about the ring.
Like I said, it was just the biggest one that I could remember around here. Haskins also made one heck of a turn around with Ballard Memorial just before that. In 2002, they had a team under him that probably would have made the semi's if they were in the other side of the state. They just happened to be in our district. I think their only two losses were to Mayfield. They were not easy wins either.
Owen county 2011 3-8
Owen county 2012 11-1